Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see Shaw Direct is advertising the most advanced HDPVR in Canada. Seems to me that this is false advertising as the Optik system/HDPVR is far superior with options like remote recording via website or smartphone, PVR Anywhere, triple recording, instant channel change, etc. How is the Shaw Direct PVR more advanced exactly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
How is an increase in your bill an "adjustment"?

SD has some of the best spin doctors I've ever seen.

That nice, big asterisk after HDPVR in the ad, should tell you everything you need to know.

* Based on a combination of features located at SHAWDIRECT.CA/HDPVR

Laughable really.....they're still chasing Bell.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
1080i ............. Since Telus doesn't have the capability in my area Shaw Direct is much more advanced than the others. Depends on your location. :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
DVR630 records 45 hours in HD....Bell's records only 30 hours in HD

DVR630 has a 14 day guide....Bell has a 9 day guide

DVR630 has a LED clock.....Bell has none

DVR630 has a cool black remote....Bell has an ugly silver remote

·
Registered
7 Posts
picture skip totally programmable forward and back plus skip by putting in a minute interval at any time
The box is 8.5 by 10.5 by 2-the smallest box on the market.
Complete home capabilities built into box-will be activated in future software upgrade. You will be able to view content from the hd anywhere in the house.
Portable device capability-load what you recorded on your mobile device legally.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Complete home capabilities built into box-will be activated in future software upgrade. You will be able to view content from the hd anywhere in the house.
How are the boxes going to talk with each other?
A- Through the coax cable with a different LNB?
B- Adding netowrk cables via the RJ45 plug in the new boxes?
c- Built in wioreless that we are so far unaware of?

One of the US Satellite providers is pushing the whole house PVR arrangement now. How do their boxes communicate?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Portable device capability-load what you recorded on your mobile device legally.
That will be tricky since the CPU/HDD in the 630 already has a tough time recording two shows at once without locking up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine is just on it's second day ( I pre-ordered a rental to start with) and I am recording 2 shows at once without a problem.

Works fine with HD and SD.

Maybe you just have a bad unit ?

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
So far, it seems only Ethernet networking is in the DSR6xx.

The latest DirecTV DVRs network over coax, which their SWiM LNB system readily supports. There are Ethernet>Coax adapters to use with the slightly older receivers.

In home streaming might not occur until HD goes MPEG4, which make it easier on the system. It will just be dumping the stream, which whould not take too much work.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Bell and Telus use the same hardware and same programing. So far the Bell PVR is far superior to the StarChoice one but with firmware improvements etc. we will see.

·
Registered
647 Posts
It's a pretty generic statement.

When I wrote the 530 spec and then roadmapped what became the 630, it was hoped and clearly had the potential to be the most advanced.

It some specific areas, it clearly is, even the 530 was.
In others areas, it is quite far behind.
To leapfrog some of the really big players will be a challenge.
Look at the size of engineering that DirecTV and Echostar Technologies have behind them.

I think the best you can hope for now is for the unit to live up to it's potential and add the missing pieces that others have had for a while.
Combine that with things like all outputs ON, Clock, programmable skip times, instant time jumps, channel logo's and probably some I've long forgotten and then you might be able to consider it the most advanced.
Today, it is not in the grand scheme, but does come a lot closer than ever before.

Unless they have someone driving development the way I did with over 2 dozen different STB's from ALL N.A. sat providers (back in the days when you could legally, sort of watch Dish and Direct) compare best of breed features and have an active connection with power users from DHC that were providing additional ideas, then maybe.

A few very key features came from users here in my small beta test program.

It may be time to resurrect a new thread with a wanted 630 features.
Seems SD may have seen the light and is paying attention to the forums a bit better.
I know the digital cable guys do and find out stuff a lot faster then via their own call centres when they make changes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So is the 630 a dual pvr? I can watch two channels at once on my bell one or record 2. I might consider switching if it is a dual pvr as I really want sportsnetone and bell doesn't have it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The 630 has 2 tuners. This means you can record 2 channels at once, as long as you're not using one of the tuners to watch live tv. IE, to record 2 shows at once, you must a) watch one of the shows recording b) watch a previously recorded show or c) have the tv turned off.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts