Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is first I've heard and we're in Mississauga. Everything seems to be functioning as well as can be expected. So far. The CEO sent a note around days ago apologizing and promising improved stability. The sound and picture still go wonky from time to time, but I guess that's the nature of internet TV.

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
The sound and picture still go wonky from time to time, but I guess that's the nature of internet TV.
Not really. It can happen with any service, not just IPTV, but it's not typical. Some services are much more prone to dropouts and artifacts than others but that's what distinguishes a good service from a bad service. Some, like Netflix or Disney+, typically deliver UHD flawlessly while others, typically Canadian services, struggle to deliver HD without technical issues. Rogers has the resources to do better but would rather siphon off billions of dollars in profits than make major investments to provide the service that their customers deserve at the price point they charge. Just how does Disney+ manage to provide top quality programming in UHD for $100/year while Rogers struggles to deliver mostly mediocre programming in HD, with some channels only in SD, for about $1,000/yr.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
How do you know it will be 4 days?
Tech scheduled for later in the week. I do not understand the current world. I was in systems and did not sleep until critical stuff was fixed. Worked many round the clock times to get systems back even when the actual tech went golfing!! ;)

Dug into the gear in the garage and found no problem. Then I dug into the outside box as it had just been zip tied closed. Reseated everything and some time later everything came back. Maybe the 35-40C in the sun (so 50-70?) caused a problem. Will let the tech check things out anyway.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
This is first I've heard and we're in Mississauga. Everything seems to be functioning as well as can be expected. So far. The CEO sent a note around days ago apologizing and promising improved stability. The sound and picture still go wonky from time to time, but I guess that's the nature of internet TV.
So you think that "wonky" is the norm and OK?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I checked my bill through the app as it's usually the first of the month. I have a credit showing of just over $14 (no full bill yet) which is not 5 days worth AND an additional 10GB of data on shared data plan for 2 phones. Strange.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Well, the bill came.. $14 credit on $263 of monthly charges.. HST included in both numbers.. that's for 2 phones and Internet. The extra 5GB per line is 6 month "bonus" for being a loyal customer.

$14 doesn't amount to 5 days worth of service...

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
The most useful compensation would have been unlimited or increased limits on mobile data for all Rogers customers during the outage or a promise of compensation for exceeding mobile data caps for the billing period. I didn't see any such move by Rogers, or any other company, now or then. It would have been really useful when our internet was out for a week due to cable damage. Providing extra data for following months is a useless, self serving move by Rogers.

·
Registered
8,939 Posts
@ExDilbert

The cell network was down too. Also, many customers already have unlimited data, though throttled after a certain amount. For me, that's 15 GB, which I have never reached.

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
Forgot about that since I'm with a different company for mobile. Still, it opens up a possible compensation for other types of outages. One time internet went down, I subscribed to dial-up internet with another company (when it was still available) because it was cheap and quick to set up. It turned out to be useless for anything but email and other light use applications though. Web pages took minutes to load due to all the graphics and advertising. HTML email was not speed demon either. It would be much worse now. I considered DSL during the recent outage but it wouldn't have been installed soon enough.

·
Registered
8,939 Posts
@MCIBUS

I haven't seen a bill since then. I should be getting one next week.
I just got my new bill. It shows a credit of $31.13 on a bill that's usually $312.14 or almost 10%. One thing to bear in mind is part of my bill is paying for my Pixel 6 over 2 years. I wouldn't expect to get a credit for that.

·
Super Moderator
57,127 Posts
The credit was supposed to be for 5 days, so if you got $31, the amount that was based on is about 30/5 * $31 or about $186.

Edit - I don't know if Rogers considers a month as 30 days, 31 days or 30.4 days for the sake of the calculation, hence my use of the word "about"

61 - 79 of 79 Posts