Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Scenario 1: 911 normally will work if there is another carrier/provider (Bell, Telus, Freedom, Videotron, MTS) offering cell service in the same geographic area your phone will connect to the 911 call using the other providers network yes. They may not be able to get as much information about you like your exact location but they might have a rough idea where you are and possibly your phone number.

Scenario 2: There is another scenario, if a geographic area is only serviced by rogers wireless cell network and no other providers/competition exist in that location, and their tower is not able to route calls due to network issues, then yes 911 call will likely fail too.

·
Registered
8,939 Posts
My point is whether they were supposed to use the emergency call button when Rogers wasn't available.
I've never made a 911 call, so I don't know what to expect.

·
Registered
8,939 Posts
I'm aware of that. My question is do you have to use the emergency call button when your carrier is not available? If so, that's something the public should know. In Canada & U.S. we are told to dial 9-1-1 for emergency calls. Other parts of the world have different numbers to dial. Do phones recognize the emergency number, whether here or elsewhere and then use an alternative carrier if required? Or does it take using the emergency call button to use alternate carriers? This is something that could cause confusion.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
First time I've heard of the Emergency Call button, Never noticed it on my phone, as its only available on the lock screen but when I go into it, it has a list I can set up of emergency contacts to call, but I have not set it up yet so my list is empty. If its a real life threatening emergency, I will just dial 9-1-1 and not fiddle with no emergency button or menus, those emergency call button options look like they can be used to call someone if your phone was lost and someone wants to return it, or to call someone in the event of a car accident and so on

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
This event has nothing to do with Rogers incompetence. Its all about profits and keeping the stockholders happy! Not to mention stock options and bonuses for the execs. No matter what happens the execs will get their bonuses. Thats in their contracts. So whats the incentive for the execs to perform? Some poor peon down the line will take the fall for the failure? Isn't that the way it is?

Reactions: Bplayer

·
Registered
8,939 Posts
First time I've heard of the Emergency Call button, Never noticed it on my phone, as its only available on the lock screen but when I go into it, it has a list I can set up of emergency contacts to call, but I have not set it up yet so my list is empty. If its a real life threatening emergency, I will just dial 9-1-1 and not fiddle with no emergency button or menus, those emergency call button options look like they can be used to call someone if your phone was lost and someone wants to return it, or to call someone in the event of a car accident and so on
Mine is similar, but I have never tried it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Rogers class-action lawsuit filed in court after network outage

I'm flabbergasted that this guy thinks EVERY Rogers customer deserves $400. It's an undeserved gift to those who were minimally impacted by the outage, and insufficient compensation to those severely affected by it. A lawsuit demanding sliding-scale compensation would've made much more sense.
The typical class-action lawsuit requires people to opt in & give reasons how they were affected. It may be as simple as checking off various options or more detailed. A "win" will not mean every Rogers customer gets the amount awarded.

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
The typical class-action lawsuit requires people to opt in & give reasons how they were affected. It may be as simple as checking off various options or more detailed. A "win" will not mean every Rogers customer gets the amount awarded.
IMO:
  • it's OK if those who don't deserve $400 in compensation don't get $400; but
  • it's a travesty if those who were impacted to the tune of, say, thousands (or tens of thousands) of dollars as a result of the outage can't get more than $400 in compensation.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
My understanding is 911 was working fine. It was Rogers users who had problems calling anyone including 911. The news reports are distorting the problem of 911. Then there were the idiots seeing the reports and 'testing' to see if they could call 911 and clogging the system.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
My understanding is 911 was working fine. It was Rogers users who had problems calling anyone including 911. The news reports are distorting the problem of 911. Then there were the idiots seeing the reports and 'testing' to see if they could call 911 and clogging the system.
This is exactly what I have been saying all along, there were 2 separate scenarios regarding 911. The 911 Call centre is run by the Toronto Police, they were up and running no issues. The Rogers network that carries cellphone communication to the tower that routes the call to 911 was down, but your phone will let you use another network ie bell/telus/shaw to route the call if the network was present.

The second scenario, if Rogers is the ONLY tower in the town you live and they were down, due to the outage then yeah you would not be able to call 911 from your cell regardless of which company your with, but the 911 centre would still be operational and people using bell landline or other landline companies can still reach them

People definitely have been distorting the facts around 911.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If they hadn't killed their "roaming" agreements, I wonder if this would have been such a big issue. Or maybe bigger? Rogers cell service goes down, phones roam to Telus and Bell towers that collapse under the weight of extra users...

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Even if roaming agreements existed, Some entitled Canadians would not be so smart to limit their usage during an outage and a lot of them would probably act as if nothing was wrong and continue using their phone very heavy usage while roaming on other carriers during the outage as such causing a huge strain on the other networks network, plus landlines and broadband internet do not roam so those would still be down during the outage, it would not be a viable solution

·
Registered
46 Posts
This event has nothing to do with Rogers incompetence. Its all about profits and keeping the stockholders happy! Not to mention stock options and bonuses for the execs. No matter what happens the execs will get their bonuses. Thats in their contracts. So whats the incentive for the execs to perform? Some poor peon down the line will take the fall for the failure? Isn't that the way it is?
Exactly. They don`t care about their customers. I left Rogers years ago for a better signal and price. I was with them for quite a few years and what I thought was I was a valued customer. Nope. They said BYE BYE. I laughed on Friday until I couldn`t but a lottery ticket. I still can`t get rid of Rogers! Like long Covid!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Something is weird here. I have now lost Telus internet and TV and will be out for 4 days.(Now it dawns on me why I hesitated with Telus. you lose internet and you lose TV and service is anything but, but the millions still flow to the favoured) I have a small data plan as a kind of backup with Rogers. Prior to their huge outage I was testing at 40mbps speed consistently. Now I am getting 1 mbps if I am lucky. Have they throttled remote areas to appear to have fixed everything and still are scrambling???

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Yesterday Rogers announced, via Text Msg, that there are issues delivering services in Mississauga. Is this related to the outage back in July?

41 - 60 of 79 Posts