Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just pulled up the Digital Home on my iPad Wifi with Wifi turned off.

How did I do it:
  • Installed iOS 4.3 on both my iPad and my iPhone 3GS
  • Turned on Personal Hotspot on my iPhone 3GS and said connect via Bluetooth
  • Turned on Bluetooth on my iPad
  • Paired to my iPhone 3GS
  • Confirmed through dialog box on both devices.
Started surfing.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have tested several apps and they all seem to have internet access.

Yahoo!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you bring up the Personal Hotspot option in my 3GS, there is no WiFi option, only Connect using Bluetooth and Connect using USB.

Does the iPhone have a "Connect using Wifi" option?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
iPod Touch (at least my son's which is 2nd gen) does not have Bluetooth.

·
Registered
358 Posts
This isn't a hidden secret. with iOS 4.3 this has been a know feature and covered in many blogs for months now.

However, with that said... if this process does not work for you contact your wireless provider, chances are that your wireless provider has changed the APN network settings in your iPhone to an address that is for Tethering.

Keep an eye on your first bill after pairing your iPhone with you iPad to make sure it is not showing up as a Tether charge. It's been seen before with these "Mobile Hotspots" and bills have reached the $$$$ as a result. Our Canadian wireless providers have been know for sneaking in this kind of stuff all the time.

eg. Did you know that with the new Bell Mobility BlackBerry data plans that include Tethering, only 10% of you device data plan can be used for tethering (500mb data plan = 50mb of tethering) before you will be billed $0.06 per mb of tether use? I have the bill to prove it. (I used 150mb Tethering to my MacBook and had to pay $6.00 more in Data fee)

All I am saying is use at your own risk till someone can report on how it is billed usage wise.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could always tether via Bluetooth but not with iPad on Fido/Rogers

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is nice to hear. I'm interested in the iPad2, and I can do this bluetooth tethering option I may stick with the cheaper WiFi only version. I guess the only thing I'll be missing is the GPS.

I'm actually going to be down in the US next weekend and will probably be purchasing an iPad2, if there are any available.

I was considering purchasing a 3G version, and I am reasonably sure that they are carrier unlocked. So if I buy the AT&T version while down there, I should be able to get a Rogers SIM, and start using it here without issue.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the link. Looks like it's not carrier locked, although it appears to be a bit of chore to change the carrier settings.

Has anyone tried this with the current iPad? What's the procedure like to switch carrier settings/microSIMs? Does include a wipe of the iPad while re-syncing with iTunes, or is it pretty painless?

Thanks

·
Registered
602 Posts
Silly question maybe but here goes: If I buy an ipad2 with 3G can I put in the chip from my Telus iphone and use the data plan on my iphone?

if not why?

thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts