Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a shorter version of this in a Sonos thread in the HTPC forum but I thought I would post it in the Satellite Radio forum.

So

This is how I stream Sirius Canada to my Sonos Music System via my Airport Express.

First, note that I I have my Airport Express connected to one of my Sonos Zone Players. The Audio out on the Airport Express is connected to the Audio In on the Sonos Zone Player.

So when I want to listen to Sirius on my Sonos system, I set Sonos up to use the Airport Express as a source and then I can listen in one of two ways.

First, I boot up Airfoil software software and then connect to Sirius Online using my web browser. I tell Airfoil to hijack the web browser and then set up the Airport Express as a speaker. Result is I can control what is playing from my computers web browser.

Second, I can boot up the Sirius App on my iPad and then send the music to the Airport Express via Airplay. Result is I can control what is playing from my iPad. The downside of this approach is that the Sirius App doesn't mult-taks so you can't get out the Sirius App and still listen to music.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There is a third method. Simply connect the analog output from a Sirius Radio to the Analog input of your Sonos system.

I don't do this for several reasons: First, I leave my Sirius Radio in the car so it would be a pain to constantly bring it in the house, hook it up and then unhook when I go to the car. Second, the bitrate is higher on the webstream.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I do something similar but with a Sirius Conductor radio. It comes with an RF remote that allows you to change stations without line of sight with the radio. The radio is connected to the input on an old computer I have. Then using Airfoil software, I can stream music to any airport express/Apple TV in the house as well as any iPhone/iPod touch or computer using Airfoil's Speakers. There is also an iphone/pod app called Reemote which allows you to select which set of speakers you want the music streaming to.

This setup works fantastic for me and I don't have to be anywhere near the radio or computer to change stations or where I want the music played.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do you know that American customers get to stream directly to their Sonos as a configured service? I am trying to lobby Sirius Canada to allow this in Canada - seems they have specifically told Sonos to block it.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can understand why Sirius USA and Sirius Canada don't want their respective services available in the other country.

Honestly, I don't listen to Sirius Canada much through Sonos because even at 128 kps, the sound quality is pretty crappy.

I'd like to have an option for 256 kbps or higher (and yes I would be willing to pay extra for it!)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Oops I started(please move Hugh if u like) another thread to talk about this exact thing, but I am one the guys who doesn't want to pay another 12 bucks a month to get sorus playing through my whole house when sonos can do it for $3.
I find the music that sonos offer is all we need. I like Sirius for the talk(stern) and sports, for that 128kbps is fine.
What I am hearing is that we can't stream sirius through the sonos(without external hardware) in Canada?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't think so. Sirius checks IP addresses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts