Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
The article could've been titled, "How – and why – I got rid of my alcohol/sweets/TV/gaming system". If you have an addiction to something, try to deal with it. If you don't, there's no need to ditch it. In my case (22 daily pickups of the phone on average last week), why would I ditch a useful tool?

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
The problem isn't the smartphone, it's the activities on it. Ditching social media is a good start. Spending more than an hour a day on social media can be very bad for personal health. If the problem is constant phone calls from work or other sources, find a new job or change the number.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Started with a flip phone a couple of years back. Just needed it in case my 19 year old car decided to stop working.

Started a new job which required a smart phone for email and texting. Otherwise I'd still be using my flip phone. I don't need to be contacted 24/7 and I don't do social media.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
^^^^
It's amazing how many people say they only have a cell phone for emergencies. That might have been appropriate many years ago, when cell service was so expensive ¹, but these days cell phones are so common place that many people no longer have a wired phone.

1. When I got my first cell phone, 25 years ago, I had to pay for every call, with long distance added, on top of the monthly fee. These days, I have unlimited Canada wide calling. In addition, the battery only lasted about 8 hours, so the phone was only turned on when I wanted to use it. Also, until WiFi calling became available, I needed a home phone, as the cell signal was poor in my condo. With WiFi calling I now always have an excellent signal at home.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I don't need to be contacted 24/7 and I don't do social media.
It seems you're still thinking of a smartphone as a phone, a tool only used for communication, when it's literally a souped-up computer in your hand. Some non-communication purposes I use mine for:
* e-reader
* calculator (both scientific and unit-converting)
* camera
* alarm clock
* music/radio player
* music identifier
* maps
* weather
* note-taker
* reminders
* transit planner
* ride hailer
* general reference work

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
There are about 2.6 million Android apps and 1.8 iOS apps that add extra uses for smartphones. A lot of them are trivial or duplicate other apps but the sheer number of applications is immense. Just think of something you do on a daily basis and there is an app that may help. Think of something you want to do and there is an app that may help. There are apps for anything from improving your diet and getting in shape to finding a top rated restaurant. Don't know how to get there? There is an app for that. Need transportation? There's an app. Need to chill out and meditate after doing all the things the other apps helped you do? There is an app for that too. The list is almost endless.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
its not really an addiction to cellphones per say, its like an addiction to "Social Media" and that need to always be "connected" this is the real problem.

I myself have a smart phone, as does the wife. The smart phone is a big part of my daily routine and I have no problem with that, as it "Helps" me do things more efficiently, and helps me organize myself and not forget important things. I use it for managing my finances, paying bills, transferring money, booking appointments for automotive service, for doctor appointments, for submitting health care claims, for finding affordable Gas prices, for having my auto insurance policy details on hand, for having access to my CAA card/account and road side service, for special 2 factor authentication for certain work web sites, for access to my calender, for access to flyers and clippings to save money when i shop, for access to all my loyalty cards in one place instead of haivng to shuffle thru my wallet or pockets, to pay for parking downtown or add money to parking when my appointment is longer than expected without getting a ticket, for communicating quickly with friends, family and peers, and for emergencies such as car accidents or what not.

My wife has a smart phone just like mine but its how she uses it. Her priorities are vastly different than mine. She uses it to catch up on her movies and tv shows aka Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Tubi, Bell TV app, she uses it to post insta stories on her InstaGram, Face book, and Twitter, to see whats trending, she uses it to post photos of our kids and to try to win the non-existent contest of social media to have the most likes and comments, which to me is uselss but for her its importsant, and she uses it to read gossip like TMZ, to compare profile photos of her girlfriends and try to one up them, and maybe answering the phone 10% of the time when i call her and ignoring it the other 90%.

its not the device, its how you use it. people who use it like me have nothing to worry, but people who use it like my wife, have every reason to worry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts