Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that we have two cars, it's time for a 2nd phone. Mainly for emergencies (like ordering pizza on the way home) we have a PetroCan Mobility that's my wife's, and I was thinking of getting another one for myself. The model with blue-tooth was not available so that gave me some time to think. PetroCan mobility charges 25 cents/minute, with no per-second billing. Some other plans will charge you a small amount per month, with lower per-minute fees. Since I already have three services with Rogers (cable, internet, home phone) I think I'd qualify for a bundling discount, so I started wondering if, perhaps, a monthly plan (even the above-described "hybrid") would be another option to consider?

I've found that with the one phone we would use about $150-200 per year. All those 1:01 calls that are charged as 2 minutes, I guess. Are there any Rogers plans out there that, with the bundling discount, would cost me that same $150-200 per year? Let's assume 60 minutes/month for the sake of argument.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Rogers PAYGo plans can be had for auto withdrawals of $10/mo, which gives you roughly 25 minutes at 40 cents per minute, with rollover of unused $ each month. If you can keep it to real emergencies, this is probably your least expensive option with Rogers. Since I've been able to keep it to "real" emergencies, I've been able to operate at $120/year and now have about $135 "in the bank" after 1.5 years. It does require some discipline, but I've actually made a few calls in the US rather than paying for Hotel phones now that I have some "built up" $ in my account.

The PAYGo does not qualify (officially) for a bundle discount, however, I've always used it as leverage when I renegotiate my overall discount with Rogers for other services. They also have a $20/mo auto-withdrawal with less expensive $/min.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's too bad it doesn't qualify.

I grabbed a bunch of brochures at Loblaws and I remember seeing one where you paid $10/month to get $0.10/minute. I believe that one comes out ahead of the $0.25/minute PAYG at around 67 minutes/month. I was hoping that Rogers would have something similar, with a bundle discount to boot, and maybe per-second billing -- I'm dreaming in technicolor now, aren't I?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts