Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pay TV has been on quite the roller coaster for years now and still won’t die. I don’t think it will ever die completely but with all the streaming services out there now we seem to have too much choice and far too many shows spread out among too many different services. Streaming isn’t the way of the future anymore as the future is now. Traditional cable/satellite has to adapt or die a slow death. We need a service that is streaming 100% of their channels live along with a cloud DVR and give users the same relative experience whether they have cable or the streaming version. Rogers as an example could offer their tv service via streaming coast to coast and a customer in Calgary can get the same experience same GUI ect as a cable customer in the GTA, the same goes for Telus they can offer their streaming service coast to coast as well and let the user decide which is better. Pricing would be more competitive. Services like River TV are a start but they have way to small a channel lineup at the moment. DirecTV Stream, Sling TV, YouTube TV these types of services are the way to go in my opinion. Rural areas that have slower internet can continue with the old system of cable/satellite at higher costs. How Pay TV Ends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have Telus piktv .
The only reason i have piktv , is without piktv unlimited internet is $100 per month, with piktv i get it for $80.
With piktv i get Edmonton ( cbc, city tv, cfrn [ctv] , global edmonton). Used to get CBC calgary, but telus took it away.
I get 5 cable channels that i picked ( hollywood suite 80's, amc , fx {gives my all fx shows on demand}, movie time , and CTV drama that is a complete piece of **** like most of ctv's cable channels.

Telus has poor app support, on apple tv i get 2 extra channels ( aptn and YES tv), these 2 channels are missing on the nvidia shield running off of the same telus account.
Some times i have to reboot the shield if piktv audio goes out of sync, or piktv crashes.
Netflix, amazon tv and tubitv all run more better then piktv.

Telus could use more channels for there system, as these are all bell channels they are running.
The picture quality is watchable, but poor compared to 1080i OTA atsc signal from CITY TV and GLOBAL TV.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I'm getting Fibe TV for literally the same price internet alone would cost. That seems to be how pay TV ends: they have to give it away for free because people won't pay for it.

The number of channels is shrinking, shows are going streaming only, etc. It's a market in decline and as the entire linear TV delivery model is obsolete for everything that isn't a live event, there's little chance of it coming back. It'll just gradually fade away until the day comes that it isn't financially worth offering it at all anymore.

You can already see that with a general lack of investment showing with the lack of 4k channels and total lack of HDR support. They're just going to coast on what they have as long as they can.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Pay TV has been on quite the roller coaster for years now and still won’t die. I don’t think it will ever die completely but with all the streaming services out there now we seem to have too much choice and far too many shows spread out among too many different services. Streaming isn’t the way of the future anymore as the future is now. Traditional cable/satellite has to adapt or die a slow death. We need a service that is streaming 100% of their channels live along with a cloud DVR and give users the same relative experience whether they have cable or the streaming version. Rogers as an example could offer their tv service via streaming coast to coast and a customer in Calgary can get the same experience same GUI ect as a cable customer in the GTA, the same goes for Telus they can offer their streaming service coast to coast as well and let the user decide which is better. Pricing would be more competitive. Services like River TV are a start but they have way to small a channel lineup at the moment. DirecTV Stream, Sling TV, YouTube TV these types of services are the way to go in my opinion. Rural areas that have slower internet can continue with the old system of cable/satellite at higher costs. How Pay TV Ends

I have been saying for years that “it is all about the data” - everything is digital, ones and zeros, now and there is no differentiation between a “phone call” and “viewing content”. We pay for data- access to a network to send and receive- period. Full stop.
Choice of services - well, the game is now to try and enforce licensing and copyright. As such, I have chosen a kodi media player with streaming addons that support a service called Real Debrid (there are others like this) - technically I am flaunting various and sundry laws by viewing content shared by people who have also illegally shared what they likely have paid for at some point along the line, and am paying a faceless intermediary for the privilege of sending me that data.
Household data access: $70/mo iirc 50/10 dsl
Real Debrid: $40-ish/yr, round numbers
I may have to wait for content to be posted, and in most cases it’s no less lossy than cable/satellite, and the provider may occasionally go down for maintenance, but I don’t have to maintain a PVR or contend with antennæ and OTA etc and I’m mostly up to speed on current series. It may not be the best for sports or news (there are other addons for those), but I’ve never been a sports fan and the news of late…
So my home bubble is comfy…for now. And everyone is happy for the most part. And it’s economical. Win-win-win. If the law comes knocking on my door, the world will have seriously improved to the point that what I’m doing is a grand offence, and I’ll face my accusers and somehow make amends.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
As long as a critical mass of urban and suburban subscribers still subscribe to traditional pay TV services, they will stay, and the CRTC will protect those providers by requiring cable like streaming providers only be sold by physical ISPs, or piecemeal by the content owners through streaming companies such as Crave.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts