Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the company I work for has been growing pretty quickly over the last year (Gone from 2 employees to 10) and the 6 Megabit DSL Dry loop connection we have with Teksavvy WAS doing the job but now it's almost unusable.

I've called every possible competitor and continually am told they can't do anything for us since the line itself decides how fast of a connection we can get.

WHO do I call at Bell to request a better line be installed in the building?

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
You might want to check if DSL2 (AKA Fibe) is available in your area. If so, you could get up to 25Mbps. Another option is bonding two DSL lines. TSI can do that and it essentially doubles the speed. Cable may be an option if it is upgraded in the area and DSL is not.

You don't say if ADSL (Asynchronous DSL) or SDSL (Synchronous DSL) is being used. ADSL is characterized by slow uplink speeds. The uplink is a source of congestion with ADSL. SDSL provides full speed up and down.

Another option is to use a multiple WAN router. That will share traffic between two or more services to increase speed and reliability. It can also provide VPN.

Other business options may be available, such as a T1 LAN. That will depend on location and provider. However, the cost of such dedicated business lines will be much higher than simple DSL.

Yet another option may be to analyze the traffic to see what is causing the bottleneck. It may be necessary to outsource some traffic to a hosted server or curtail some uses until a better option is found.

·
Registered
97 Posts
So, the company I work for has been growing pretty quickly over the last year (Gone from 2 employees to 10) and the 6 Megabit DSL Dry loop connection we have with Teksavvy WAS doing the job but now it's almost unusable.

I've called every possible competitor and continually am told they can't do anything for us since the line itself decides how fast of a connection we can get.

I was in a similar situation at my work. We tried the Rogers business lines and looked around at providers but we were not able to find anything until I found an ISP called Radiant.

They have a product called SureLink. It uses Bell lines BUT they run 8 loops to your place (Radiant got Bell to install the 8 loops to our place) and combine all of them into 1 "connection". We were only able to get 6MB up and 6MB down at our location but they can push up to 20/20 depending on where you are located. Another nice thing about this is that if 1 loop goes down you have 7 others still there - you lose some speed but you are not totally down. This service also includes SLA.

Check them out, and give them a call to see what speed you can get at your place.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
^^^^
They'd be using something called Symmetric High-speed Digital Subscriber Line (SHDSL), which can bond multiple pairs. As with ADSL, the bandwidth is dependent on distance. With some equipment, there may be high and low priority Ethernet ports. You'd use the high priority port for things like VoIP and low priority for regular stuff such as file transfer, web browsing or email. If you're not using VoIP, then just use the high priority port for everything.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
They are simply using Synchronous DSL and line bonding, that I mentioned earlier. TSI once offered SDSL. I don't see it on their web site now so don't know if it still is. Line bonding can be set up fairly easily. It can be done on the cheap with Tomato firmware on a consumer router but it's better done with a business grade multiple WAN router. They can cost from $200 to $1000, probably more in some cases. For business, I wouldn't go with anything less than an SDSL line. They cost about $200/mo but the uplink speed is much better than ADSL. Once line costs get near the $1000 range, a full or fractional T1 line would be better.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
^^^^
Symmetrical not synchronous and asymmetrical, not asynchronous. All digital communications these days is synchronous, unlike the old async serial ports we used to use to connect dial up modems etc. I have set up SHDSL connections on a few occasions.

SHDSL

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
You are correct. It's Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (ADSL) and Symmetric Digital Subscriber Line (SDSL). D#%@ acronyms. :confused:

Symmetric High-speed Digital Subscriber Line (SHDSL) is faster than SDSL since it employs the full range of frequencies on a line, such as a dry loop. Regular DSL types only use the frequencies above the range used for voice (4KHz and up.)

·
Registered
265 Posts
One thing that I did not see mentioned is that you are not Bell's customer in this case.

They lease the line to Techsavvy at a wholesale rate who in turn bills you for the service at retail.

They are the ones who have to ride Bell for the line conditioning as they are paying the bill for the line. You are just caught in the middle with this problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Dont shoot the messenger. I am a retired Bell employee who dealt with Wholesale and Bell customers for 12 years.

1-You are a wholesale customer and as such, Bell will not deal with your issue. Your ISP has to make a request to Bell.

2-If this is a distance issue and a remote is not available your out of luck. You ISP has to initiate this call.

3-Go back to Bell who may or may not be able to help.

4-Try some one like Rogers who uses Coax cable.

5-If you change ISP providers your Email account could change.

I would call your ISP and ask them to call Bell to see if a remote is available. I'm sorry to say it does not look good and as usual the customers gets (you know what).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts