Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

HOW do you make an original 1998 Sony memory stick work with a ps3 by USB?

6K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 · (Edited)
HOW do you view the photos of an original 1998 Sony memory stick by using the USB of a ps3? (not a memory card, the first kind of memory stick that came out in 1998). My camera with or without memory stick inserted doesnt work with my ps3. What exact adapter do i need to buy so the original Sony memory stick will fit and connect to it with USB cable out to USB in of ps3? Theres some different kinds available but as my memory tells me sometimes you buy a device thats not compatible with other devices or ps3, then you gotta return it or not use it.

HERES a picture of front and back of an original Sony 64 mb memory stick that i own with photos on it-

See less See more
#7 ·
Not a 64 mb ps2 memory card, a 1998 memory stick from a camera.
That's MB not mb or GB. A 64MB card is next to useless theses days. Unless there is something that really needs to be recovered, it's not worth the cost. An 8GB USB flash drive costs about $5 vs $20 or more for the IOGear reader. The card reader will most likely require a computer to work.

#8 · (Edited)
^(ExDilbert said-"thats MB not mb"-[?????oKaY?])

Just need to upload a few photos of myself to my facebook or other sites using memory stick and ps3.(dont want to buy lap top because my old computers always got viruses, ps3 doesnt). Heres a device i bought already, the memory stick fits but the device doesnt work on my ps3 USB-

-
Heres a flash drive that does work through USB of ps3. I have one but dont have new camera for it.-

-
Anyone know if my 1998 memory stick will fit in this memory stick flash drive and if it'll work on ps3- (its like a gamble i take if i buy it)-OR WOULD this new memory stick fit in my camera, my camera only has 1 slot for my 1998 memory stick, i wonder if this new memory stick will fit in it-

-
Heres another device where the 1998 memory stick will fit in, anyone know if this will work on ps3-

-

#11 · (Edited)
take device you already have and use PC to transfer pics to newer USB flash drive that works on PS3.friends or public or library should do job,unless they have USB ports disabled.
USB will be obsolete? (thats why i dont keep on buying new devices because they'll or some cable will soon be obsolete). Im only using my ps3 to get on line, dont want to buy a lap top because my older 3 computers(1998 to 2014 RIP-[I sledged my last computer out of frustration]) kept on getting serious viruses that disabled them 3 times a year each, so im sticking to my ps3 because it doesnt get attacked by the bad people of the internet world. Been 3 great years using my ps3 on line with no problems.

But thanks for advice, i could use my 1998 memory stick on my dad's computer and transfer the photos to my flash drive thats usable on my ps3 through USB---(let me check, yup the USB port is still there on my ps3, it didnt get upgraded by some unknown person on internet without my knowledge, hahaha).

#10 ·
Memory Stick Pro Duo cards won't work in your camera, so that's out. Multi-card adapters also won't work since they have specific drivers that the PS3 won't have.

It's not the answer you want, but ExDilbert's suggestion is the best. As I said earlier, stop trying to expect the PS3 to do things it was never designed to do. If you aren't willing to listen and accept what we're telling you, it won't be worth our time to keep repeating the same thing.

#17 · (Edited)
Memory Stick Pro Duo cards won't work in your camera, so that's out. Multi-card adapters also won't work since they have specific drivers that the PS3 won't have.
Is there a flash drive adapter where my 1998 memory stick will fit into it like this one. Will my 1998 memory stick fit and work in this or other flash drive since flash drives DO WORK on a ps3 USB. (Probably not fit? Need to find a pix of both front and back of memory stick Pro HG, i guess the back(metal bits at end of stick that gets inserted into slot) won't be the same as back of older stick so therefore older stick won't fit)-

1998 memory stick-

#12 ·
What is a PS3? Why would anyone want one? Never heard of...
Nicdimwitt is yet another user to get banned from visibility.

#32 · (Edited)
I meant for the past 3 years my ps3 did not get attacked by a serious virus that would completely disable it, like the blue screen virus that completely disabled my last 2 computers where they couldnt advance beyond the blue screen, only reset options, then they needed repairing again til i sledged last one. I notice my ps3 did get a minor virus but its nothing, it may freeze once in a while, then i would restart it and after restarts theres a bunch of letters and characters at top of browser, but browser still works perfectly after that until it may freeze days or few weeks later. My ps3 almost never freezes while playing videogames 8 hours a day because i dont get online ever while playing, maby it may freeze once every 2 or 4 weeks while playing a game without being online??

#16 ·
In the words of the Shark Tank investors, "I'm out!"

You simply want to complicate your life by not being willing to learn about (and follow) safe computing practices. Here's the thing: The rest of the tech world is going to keep moving on, and sooner or later various websites will stop working on your PS3. The browser isn't going to see any more updates, so as sites evolve you'll find more and more will have various incompatibilities. Heck, I'm surprised Facebook actually works on it (though no idea if it's easy to upload files from the PS3 browser to it)

#18 · (Edited)
Heck, I'm surprised Facebook actually works on it (though no idea if it's easy to upload files from the PS3 browser to it)
Facebook works easy and fast with Javascript OFF, takes forever or doesnt work with Javascript ON since ps3 uses older browser. I could buy on ebay with ps3 with Javascript ON, but can't check out and pay for the items on ebay .com/.ca, must go to a european ebay in a different language in order to check out and pay for them through my ebay account, hahaha. My ps3 can log into my paypal account directly but when i click any icon on my account to check details they don't work. I guess paypal also kind of discriminates or is prejudice against computers or ps3's with older browsers. PS4 will be my next baby that cant get attacked by viruses. Lap tops or computers needs to learn from them.

#20 · (Edited)
well....that flash drive with hg, umm HG memory stick is compatible with PS3 USB, so i thought other versions that do include the 1998 stick would be too but no. Just saw Dumb and Dumber To on dvd. They took something great 20 years ago and made a great remake. I think thats what i was trying to do to, but instead i became Dumb and dumberer, ah ha ha, but no i dont agree'er.

I emailed a seller on ebay and asked if his All in 1 adapter would work with a PS3-

dumber- "Will this work with a PS3 through USB?"

dumberer- "We aren't sure."

#24 · (Edited)
Reading posts from OP hurts my brain/why USB would be obsolete?
Well, Exdilbert mentioned libraries, schools are starting to disable USB ports on computers so people can no longer connect by USB,why?

Sorry my posts made your brain hurt, i think its because i over analize every post i ever made with endless thoughts and edits after edit after edit after edit- see i did it again.

Best things about getting on line with a ps3-

From what i experienced, my ps3 doesnt get serious viruses that will disable it like my 3 computers.

Rca video audio out allows me to record anything i want on dvd or cd.

Rca out or HDMI allows me to comfortabilly remain in my couch after playing a videogame on my large 30" full screen color tv and get on line anytime i want without ever needing to go to my desk with a boring small monitor.

But THANKS for the help gents, i'll transfer the memory stick files to my flashdrive using my father's computer, then use the flashdrive on my ps3 anytime i want.

#26 ·
If you just want to take the pictures off the memory stick, then just ask a friend, relative, or classmate, go to their house, stick the memory stick in their device, computer, or what ever, then burn the pictures to a cd or dvd, there you have a permanent copy of them and you dont have to worry about the memory becoming obsolete

#28 ·
USB flash drives fail as well. There is no such thing as 100% reliable or permanent storage. That's why backups are always recommended, preferably two or more backups stored on two or more types of media in two or more locations. If a NAS or backup server is being used, I'd recommend configuring it with a RAID1, RAID5 or RAID6 drive array. Cloud storage (OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc) is a good way of storing backups off site.

#30 ·
People who use Win10 with Norton Anti-Virus installed as an EXTENSION to the Web Browers are pretty much IMMUNE to Viruses....and you will be ALERTED when you want to run something suspicious (i.e. new to Norton)....at which time YOU decide whether you KNOW it's probably OKAY....or TAKE THEIR ADVICE and KILL whatever Executable you downloaded (or other file CONTAINING a hidden Executable).

Reportedly, most Viruses are piggypacked on GAMES, APPS and some Movies that a USER chooses to download from Sketchy websites [despite A-V Scanner warning that it's a SKETCHY Website]...and very rarely on Music and Photos if you check to make SURE that they actually have Music or Photo File Types (i.e. *.aac, *.mp3, *.jpg, *.png, etc).

And then there are those users who don't even BOTHER to use A-V software.....

#31 ·
You must mean RAID1
Yup. Typo.

People who use Win10 with Norton Anti-Virus installed as an EXTENSION to the Web Browers are pretty much IMMUNE to Viruses...
I'd have to disagree with that. No anti-virus software detects all viruses. At best it's about 99.9% of known viruses, which is very good, but, at about 99.8% Norton is not the best. AV software is not very good at detecting 0day threats and unreported threats either. It is a lot better than having no AV software but does not guarantee immunity from security threats.

#36 ·
And print the captions for his book, with a model 28 TTY using the current loop on his 1975 computer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.