Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I've been trying to get a decent signal to a neighbors House so he can purchase his own account with the new 6XX recievers. We are going to share one Dish, but be on separate accounts.

(See link for reference if you are interested)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=125300

Anyway, we'd like to get a 75e Dish with his new account and eventually (spring?) replace my 60e so that we maximize the signal we get before a very long cable run. We are just making it over (though?) the trees and struggle with strength when it finally reaches his house.

Is there a particular process to get a 75e dish instead of the standard 60e?

Thanks for the info ;)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
That's what I hope was the answer. I'll call one of their distributors close by and make sure it's in stock.
Jimsathome, the distributors do not stock dishes, you must call Shaw Direct to get the 75E dish, and they will then mail it to your billing address.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I purchased a 75e with LNBs for about $100. Some distributors do have these in stock. Included with a free installation is a much better deal though.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just ask. That is what I did and they sent me one.
I called a local Distributor (just for grins - so it would be quicker) and they said they'd have to order one in special so that was a dead end.

So I called Shaw and boy was the Customer Service Person persistant. She really wanted me to give the contact info for the neighbor (so she could call him) and the account info for my brother so he could get a month free credit for recomending the neighbor. I didn't have prior consent from the neighbor to give out his information so I told he we'd call back.

After consulting her Supervisor, she did try to say you must be in specified wilderness areas to get the 75e and they'd check the address before shipping. She changed he demeanor when I advised it was a self install with the dish a long way from the house (to get over the trees) and I would insist he only sign up if he gets the 75e as we were having trouble getting a high enough signal off a 60e.

I don't know why they'd be so resistive initially as their cost differential is probably not very significant. I know a retailer who sells a 60e for $85; & a 75e for $100. So their cost differential is probably about $8. But their cost to do a typical install has to be well over $100 plus the travel time, so that's why (I think) she softened when I said a self install.

So once we are all done with tidying up the present install I'll guide the neighbor on what to purchase so we can improve the system's reliability.

Thanks for the input. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
You could also purchase one from online retailers. Again, about $100 plus shipping I'm sure. Unless your way up north, you could definitely get away with a 60CM dish and have little to no problems. If you have a long cable run, line amplifiers would probably be less hassle than fighting over a larger dish, and the installer would probably have the amplifiers when he does the install..

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Justification...

You could also purchase one from online retailers. Again, about $100 plus shipping I'm sure. Unless your way up north, you could definitely get away with a 60CM dish and have little to no problems. If you have a long cable run, line amplifiers would probably be less hassle than fighting over a larger dish, and the installer would probably have the amplifiers when he does the install..
Direc,

Take a look at this Thread for the complete install details.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=125300

This is not your normal install situation. The total run to the neighbor's house is about 600 feet total from the Dish. No installers would bother with us unless we gave them a blank check (and again => no guarantees either :rolleyes:). We simply couldn't afford it... Besides, I'm a certified Electrician with Electronics Technician level training (and geeky to boot) more than willing to do this little project. This is not rocket science, or brain surgery here...

At the Dish off a short 30 foot cable:

On FR1 Channel 299 - ShawDirect Reg - the strength is 72

On F2 Channel 284 - NBC HD - the strength is 94

No matter how I tweaked the dish => 72 was all I could get on 299.

At the Rear of the Cabin at end of 350 foot RG6 Quad Shield Cable install:

On FR1 Channel 299 - ShawDirect Reg - the strength is 71

On F2 Channel 284 - NBC HD - the strength is 92

So degradation was relatively minor to this point, and the signal at our Cabin is fine using the 60e Dish. But once into the Multiswitch (so the neighbor can buy his own account but we both will use the one dish) it degrades rapidly over the 250 feet to his house = especially on 299 :confused:.

On F1R Channel 299 - ShawDirect Reg - the strength is 54

On F2 Channel 284 - NBC HD - the strength is 90

We tried an in line amplifier - right after the multiswitch - and another attempt before cable entry into his house - both with no increase on 299 strength.

So the move towards a 75e seems warranted as the most cost effective next move. I've read posts where both Dishes we "professionally algined" side by side and the 75e consistently gave a 10 point increase in signal strength.

So if the signal on Channel 299 is 80 before the multiswitch, hopefully it won't degrade as much going the last 250 feet (and remain above 70).

We are definitely going for the 75e Dish. The next step would be a move to RG11 Cables...:eek:

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
We tried an in line amplifier - right after the multiswitch
I would put the amp before the multiswitch, one for each line. OTOH, I would go for a bigger dish before resorting to an amp.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
if you do source a 75E dish, make sure it comes with a Dual-Quad that was designed for a 75E as well.
MY Local Sat installer thought the 60E lnb would work, but he receiving elements in the two are at different distances apart - so you'll never peak the wrong lnb properly on both sats.

The 75E lnb is stamped for use on a 75E dish

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Happy Days...

Folks,

I ended up negotiating for the neighbor with SD before he got his account. I politely insisted they ship him the 75e, or he wouldn't buy an account. So they agreed after I explained the situation.

He's got the dish (still in the Box) in his garage until I get up there in the spring to install it. He's doing the cable runs to his house from the multiswitch at the Cabin (surface for now as it's nasty up there) and hopes to be watching his SD supplied signals by February 1rst.

I ended up buying his recievers here locally from Visions Electronics => as it was far cheaper than anywhere else.;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I take it your in the lower mainland in the Langley area (Vision Electronics). If you need better cable and connectors, such as Beldon and Thomas & Betts, try this company;

http://www.tselectronic.com/

Excellent customer service. Trying to find good quality RG-6 (Belden or Commscope) in Canada at a decent price is just about impossible. I just placed an order the other day. I get it shipped to Ship Happens in Sumas and then zip across the border to pick it up.

This is the wire I ordered;

http://www.tselectronic.com/shop/product/Belden-7915A-RG6-U-Duobond-Plus-3GHz-RG6-U-Tri-Shield-Broadband-Coax/215

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting Cable Claims

I take it your in the lower mainland in the Langley area (Vision Electronics). If you need better cable and connectors, such as Beldon and Thomas & Betts, try this company;

http://www.tselectronic.com/

Excellent customer service. Trying to find good quality RG-6 (Belden or Commscope) in Canada at a decent price is just about impossible. I just placed an order the other day. I get it shipped to Ship Happens in Sumas and then zip across the border to pick it up.

This is the wire I ordered;

http://www.tselectronic.com/shop/product/Belden-7915A-RG6-U-Duobond-Plus-3GHz-RG6-U-Tri-Shield-Broadband-Coax/215
RaymondT,

The Cable link is for Tri-Shield Broadband Coax with quite a unique construction. Almost all professional specs refer to Quad Shield, but this does claim to be even better. I'd love to see a technical test comparison. The ability to use standard F connectors without having to strip off an extra layer of Braid would make it attractive to Pros as well. (The Home user probably doesn't do it often enough to make a real difference.)

I assume you were going for Thomas and Betts Snap-N-Seal "F" Connectors. During my research I decided the best for me were PPC Aquatight EX6XLWS connectors for the outdoor connections. I couldn't find them locally either (I'm in Coquitlam) so I bought them on eBay from the USA. For the inside connections I'm moving up to PPC EX6XL compression connectors just because a got a Bag of 100 by mistake from another eBay Seller who messed up on the original EX6XLWS order I placed with him. (Buying on eBay is not a science and things can & will (at times) get messed up.) I originally installed Ideal crimp connectors (inside & out) because that's all I had at the time during the Self Install. I've got lots & lots of F connectors now it seems. :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts