Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago, I was a cable guy, and I went to a rich persons house... they had all of their stereo equipment, cable box, xbox, playstation and such in a closet in the hallway.

But there was a small Infrared Receiver on the wall next to the television in the living room, that in turn, sent any signal received into that closet -- so basically they were able to control everything as if it were in the room.

What is this called? Where do I go to get something like this?

I love the idea of having nothing but a TV visible in my living room, and hiding all the electronic stuff away. Any thoughts, suggestions?

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Generally, there are three ways of controlling hidden audio video appliances: RF, serial, and IP. What you are recalling is RF, where the remote transmits a signal in RF to a compatible base station that, in turn, sends the IR signal to the unit via an "IR blaster".

Higher end AV gear have always had alternatives to the IR blaster route: direct IR inputs on the rear panel (most RF base stations also have the ability to send to the IR signal this way); RS-232 (serial) control; and, more recently, IP control over a network.

Consumer products like certain Harmony remotes support RF (890/900), but frankly I think they're overpriced solutions given the inherent limitations of Harmony's programming structure. More custom integrator oriented solutions from providers like URC offer far more power, flexibility, and potential than Harmony as well as supporting two-way control over serial or IP.

It's really a question of how much you want to control. A lot of this is dependent on your gear. If your gear is fairly inexpensive, an IR/RF solution with blaster may be your only feasible option. If your gear is higher-end, then it's probably worth checking out some higher-end solutions. When all your gear is hidden, two-way control over IP (or serial) is preferable because you can see what input is selected, what the volume level is, etc right on your remote.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

All generally low end best buy stuff.

Samsung LCD-LED
Sony receiver
Sony dvd/cd player
Xbox 360
Playstion 3
Scientific Atlanta Cable Box/DVR
Nintendo Wii

I am looking for something called an IR blaster?

Is this something that will work for the video game consoles?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I would recommend Googling IR Remote Extender or IR Blaster and reading up on their capabilities.

If you have specific questions after reading about them, then ask them here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent.

I found what I was looking for. This is exactly what I remember. And now that I know what they are called, I am able to find articles about Xbox/Playstation.

Thanks for the help JohnnyCanuck and Hugh.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Again, I will caution you to read up thoroughly on these devices. Search this forum and you'll find it won't help you with a Playstation 3 which uses Bluetooth.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Although the PS3 uses BT, you can purchase a dongle, often called IR4PS3 or IR4BT or IR2BT. Search for those terms in this forum - several existing threads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the Harmony One universal remote by Logitech.

I am finishing my basement and have decided to hide all my components in a storage room thus only seeing the TV hanging on the wall.

It seems these IR extenders (or whatever they are called range from $50 to $100 (likely by if they will control 2 components or 8)

Will my Harmony One talk to the reciever I will hide behind my TV (or mabey get the kit with a wall plate that looks similar to a dimmer switch (decorum switch??) and then talk to all my components??

Has anyone encountered any issues?? Example - hang the reciever behind the TV but a plasma blocks signal and it doesn't always work - where a LCD does?? use the decorum switch type apporx 2' away from a plasma and everything is fine?? (these are hypothetical situations - just asking about lessons learned with this stuff.)

I also have a PS3 - because it's Bluetooth then who cares where the PS3 lives as long as it's within range of the controller. I set up a controller recharger docking station and hide it in the shadows of a sofa or something and I only need to go into the storage room to change game disks. Is this a correct assumption??

Dave

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
My brother has an RF Harmony remote (not sure the model). The RF transmitter is built into the remote as far as I can tell, and the receiver is a small wedge shaped box with an IR emitter built it, plus can accept blaster cables.

The receiver is hanging off the ceiling of the basement, such as its IR emitter can "illuminate" the rack of A/V gear down in his basement. The remote runs the TV in the living room directly. The PS3 is of course, Bluetooth itself.

That said, a wired IR extender most likely will work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts