Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this is the right place to post this......
I am going mad. I have a simple setup - Rogers 4642HD box connected by HDMI to Sony KDL-32EX521 TV. Everything was working fine until I had to disconnect everything for a couple of days. After reconnecting, the Rogers remote is operating the TV fine but there is the word "mute" in the upper right corner of the screen (and sound is not muted). When I mute with the Rogers remote, it flashes "mute" in the lower left corner - and the same thing with the Sony remote.
Where is the upper right "mute" coming from and how do I get rid of it? I have audio settings through the Rogers remote set to FIXED and on the TV settings I have Audio out set to FIXED and HDMI audio source set to Auto.
Thanks in advance....!

·
Super Moderator
56,462 Posts
Unplug the TV for a minute and plug it back in. If the mute is coming from the TV, it should disappear. Try changing inputs on the TV - does the mute disappear? If it does disappear, try plugging the 4642 into that input and see if the mute reappears. Reboot the 4642.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. This is what I did:

- unplug TV for a minute - mute still there
- changed HDMI cable into TV from 3 to 4 - mute still there
- unplug Rogers box for a minute - plugged back in - switch box on - mute still there AND NO SOUND
- switch TV off with Rogers remote and switch back on - sound back but mute still there

Any thoughts as to where to go now?

·
Super Moderator
56,462 Posts
A few more things?

1. Perhaps unplugging for a minute wasn't long enough. Try overnight.

2. Look in the troubleshooting section of the operating manual (or the user menu) to see if there is a method to reset the TV to default settings, not just picture settings, but the whole TV. Write down any settings that you may have changed before resetting.

3. Can you connect something else (A BD player? A DVD player? A VCR? anything) to the TV (or nothing to the TV) to see if the mute is still there?

4. If still there, contact Sony.

Here's a list of things to check that may help...

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19694

·
Registered
96 Posts
If the HD tuner has any audio settings - something like source or other options - try changing one of those options. The tuner might be over riding the other audio controls.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I would double check all the audio options in the menus. There may be an audio input or output that is muted and needs to be unmuted or disabled. Another option may be to do an audio settings reset or whole TV factory reset. A factory reset would clear all settings and put the TV in a factory fresh state. That may be possible in the menus or it may require a special sequence to be entered.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE
Reset the TV - mute still there.
Connected the cable directly to the TV, not to the Rogers box - mute gone.
Unplugged the Rogers box for 1 hour, reconnected box to TV, mute gone but returned after about 1-2 seconds.
I cannot see anything in Settings on the Rogers remote that would account for the mute.
Do I get a new box?

·
Super Moderator
5,066 Posts
If you've eliminated the TV as the culprit, and isolated the problem to the box, then it's time to get a new box.

Of course I'm assuming that you've called Rogers tech support already and worked with them? If not, I would try that before replacing the equipment.

·
Super Moderator
56,462 Posts
It may still not be the Rogers Box, it may still have something to do with the TV on that input. Do you not have anything else to temporarily connect to the TV - BD player, DVD player, VCR, etc?

Also, try a different connection with the Rogers box - say composite video, S-video, component video, etc. The Rogers box sends out the "mute" at the bottom-left, as you mentioned in post 1.

When you say you reset the TV, is that a factory reset to factory settings? Did you check all the audio settings in the TV user menu?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree, 57, I have a feeling there's more to it...
I don't have another device to easily connect to the TV. I will try to see if I can fashion a different connection between box and TV.
Yes, reset TV to factory settings. I have been through all the audio settings AFAIK...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE
Called Rogers; the technician and I couldn't get rid of the mute. He suggested taking it in and exchanging it for another box, so I will do that as it'll be cheaper than going to buy some new cables.

·
Super Moderator
56,462 Posts
You don't have a single RCA-type cable to connect the composite video ports? The "yellow" ports could be connected with any RCA-type cable, it doesn't have to be yellow - it could be ½ of a red/white set for example.

Make sure you have not adjusted the volume on the TV all the way down. Move it up using the TV's remote control (Vol+) to some number above zero - say 1 or 2. (I assume you've done this, but I just want to check everything)

On page 130 of the OM it talks about CC when mute. Try turning this feature off or on.

https://docs.sony.com/release/KDL-EX520_EX521_imanual_EN.pdf

Did you do the sound reset per page 113 of the OM?

The reset on page 105 doesn't reset the entire TV. Is this what you did? I can't find a factory reset for the entire TV... You say you did a factory reset - what did you do to accomplish this?

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Program the Rogers remote to control the stb volume. Unmute then reprogram remote back to controlling TV volume.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE
Replacement (clearly not new) Rogers box connected......
"Mute" gone!

So who knows, but thanks for all of your help.

Now of course every time I touch a button or even walk by the TV I anxiously glance at it to see if "Mute" has reappeared.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts