Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's why you use a hotel address...they'll toss your mail instead of opening it. I'm not particularily worried about any of that stuff...if they were really concerned with keeping canadians from subscribing, they could take steps to prevent it.
Anyhow, I signed up today with no problems. Sirius everything + best of xm lifetime subscription since it's discounted right now. Ya ya ya, I know I'm taking the chance that they will not go bankrupt and I'll lose my subscription, but hey, life is all about risks... what the hell, it's only money.

Funny thing is, on the automated system, before I connected to the CSR to sign up for the lifetime subscription, they listed yearly plans all the way up to 6 years for $751.10!!! without the best of xm!

I thought that was pretty funny myself anyway.

Thanks for the responses. The only reason I wanted the U.S. subscription is because I travel a lot to the U.S. and would like the traffic and weather reports since I always rent a car wherever I go. Having the best of xm is nice too. I'll refrain from bashing the crtc, although I dearly would love to do so.

·
Registered
608 Posts
verbatim said:
That's why you use a hotel address...they'll toss your mail instead of opening it. I'm not particularily worried about any of that stuff...if they were really concerned with keeping canadians from subscribing, they could take steps to prevent it.
Yes.. There's a Holiday Inn in Casa Grande, Arizona that's been getting whatever Sirius mails out for almost 6 years now :) I signed up with Sirius USA while I was staying there on a holiday. Nobody has ever complained.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Does anyone know if a Canadian with an XM receiver can subscribe to American Sirius? I know Sirius bought XM in the States but they're still separate in Canada and it's not possible to get Sirius-exclusive programming through XM in Canada.
Not possible yet

·
Registered
5 Posts
not possible for what? To use a canadian xm radio to subscribe to us service or not possible with a canadian xm sub to get best of sirius programming? I assume you meant the latter because I've heard xm radios from either country work with either provider.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For those who signed up for the US sub, did you provide a Canadian billing address for your credit cards, and if so was this on-line (can you even do this) or on the phone.

Wouldn't they balk at this (at that point its got to look like a Canadian trying to get a US sub).

I really want to be able to get Sirius with the Best of XM (and can't wait for the merger talks here to come to a conclusion), however figured I would have to change the billing address for the CC to a US address. All info is appreciated.

Cheers.... Gary

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I doubt that you would be able to change your cc address to a US address. You would likely have to get a US card.

Why complicate things?

Call them and give them your "US address". Give them your credit card number. I've never had one refused. Some people claim they've been refused. If they refuse your card (and you don't want to push the matter), just tell them to bill you. Once you are in the system, go online and change your billing to cc and put in your number. At this point, you are not asked to put in a billing address for your cc.

I have never had a problem and I have 2 separate U.S. subs.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I finally got my US sub renewed. I had to use my Mastercard rather than my new Visa. When I tried my visa on the web it said that my visa billing address didn't match my Sirius "address". I tried my Mastercard and there was no issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can actually change your billing address to a US address. Worked in Washington for a while (Monday through Friday) and changed one of my cards to down there for ordering things - much easier.

Since then, have also done it for a week to order something and have it shipped to a family member there (then switched it back).

That said would rather not do that if I don't have to. Will try the MasterCard option and see if that works without changing it.

Now the decision is when to do it (do I wait for a "sale" on a receiver or wait for the Mirage in May). Too many options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just used the same U.S. address I gave them for my billing address also. They don't check. It's not a requirement for them to provide a billing address in order to charge your credit card. Companies can use it to verify that you aren't using a stolen card by verifying it with the credit card company, but they do not HAVE to check. In my case, I signed up for a lifetime subscription of Sirus plus Best of XM, and the charge showed up on my visa (checked online). I never gave them my real billing address over the phone. That was 9 days ago.

·
Registered
517 Posts
if it's an older radio, it would depend on how old the chip in it is. Since you received your radio for Christmas, you should have no worries. All you need now is a US address and you'll be all set.
Well im out then after finding someone i know in the US. i don't think my old kenwood sirius box i got in 2006(purchased from sirius canada website) connected to my 2003 headunit in my car will work with US sub.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had a US account for the past 4 years. I live in Vancouver and have friends living in Seattle. I use their address for both billing and contact, but use my own phone number and email address. I pay using my credit card. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
578 Posts
They can tell if you are using a Canadian issued credit card, the BEST and EASIEST way to get a US subscription is to go to: www.xmfan.com, order a gift card from their store and they will e-mail you the code. Then call XM US or activate online using the gift card code and you are good to go, no credit card needed(except for verification they just may need the # but it doesn't matter).

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have heard that once you have an account, they will accept a canadian cc. So sign up with a gift card, then go online and add your credit card to the account. I switched credit cards this summer online without issue.

21 - 40 of 169 Posts