Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...connect my satellite receiver to a 2nd TV? The problem is the 2nd TV is in another room where it would be very difficult to run a new wire to, so I want to use the existing coax. Problem is there is no coax output on the Shaw Direct receiver.
I do know the limitations. We won't need the ability to watch different things at the same time.

Is there a simple converter? composite AV to F-connector?
Or should I try a wireless AV sender?
Or a RF modulator?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
rf modulators are fairly cheap. You are going to loose your composite output so a better solution might be a vcr. This would allow you to tape the odd show and use the rf out to feed your second tv.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VCR?

I haven't owned a VCR in many years. LOL
What do you mean about me losing the composite output? The only output being used on the receiver is the HDMI, so is it as simple as connecting the composite out of the receiver into the modulator, then the coax from "TV out" on the modulator to the 2nd TV and then turn the 2nd TV to channel 3?

The modulators I've been seeing online all have another F-connector labelled Ant. in or cable in. Do I need to do anything with that?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
so is it as simple as connecting the composite out of the receiver into the modulator, then the coax from "TV out" on the modulator to the 2nd TV and then turn the 2nd TV to channel 3?
Pretty much.

I have a DSR530 and run a second tv off of it using the RF out on the receiver. For the amount the second tv is watched it made no sense to install a dedicated receiver for it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
We use the component output on the 630 and plug it into an RF modulator then run the coax into the kitchen for our other TV. It works fine. We wish the 630 had a coax output like the 530...

The Hans

·
Registered
57 Posts
Swapped our 530 for a second 630 last week (did the 99 dollars and keep the 530 deal last year). Bought a RF modulator on ebay for 14 dollars delivered (many for sale on ebay). Shop around as many retail stores charge 40 dollars plus for these.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
If you have the room, as mentioned in post 2, you can use a VCR that has composite and analogue audio inputs, tune to that input and you're all set. VCRs can usually be found free from friends, relatives, etc.

This assumes the STB has composite out (if only one and it's used, get a y-connector and/or piggyback cables for the audio).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts