Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I recently splurged on a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Scribe Duo plus an indoor antenna which I plastered to the highest point in the highest window in the house.

It was working fine up until last Friday. I used it mainly to cap programming off of CITS-DT (aka YesTV). But then I noticed over this past weekend, I wasn't getting any caps. So after troubleshooting everything, I realize the thing just needs a rescan and an update, but afterwards, I noticed that the one channel I was recording things on vanished, in leu of channels that aren't as useful to me.

After doing the best research I could, I found that sometimes these antennas will find another feed and then dump the feed you had before. So my question is, is there any way to manually choose the channels you want to pick up if you can only have 7 or 8 in your local vicinity?

Thank you kindly.

-Arian

·
Administrator
447 Posts
Occasionally antenna channels will go through a repack and you have to do a scan again to add/remove the ones you want to use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Occasionally antenna channels will go through a repack and you have to do a scan again to add/remove the ones you want to use.
Okay, but:

1) How do I go about selecting the channels I want, besides scanning?

2) Every time I scan through the channels, I get the same ones I don't want, so is there anything I can do to intervene?

·
Registered
83 Posts
1) How do I go about selecting the channels I want, besides scanning?
You use the HDHR software. Probably easiest going to my.hdhomerun.com on your computer. After the scan just select/deselect channels as required.

2) Every time I scan through the channels, I get the same ones I don't want, so is there anything I can do to intervene?
Not that I'm aware of. The scan finds everything it can and it's up to you to fix the list of channels the way you want. You should only have to do this once or twice a year.

The silicon dust forum would probably be helpful also.

·
Registered
9,315 Posts
1. Not sure that this is possible with the HDHR. It wasn't when I used one. It's a shortcoming in the software. Some devices allow adding channels manually. That does not mean the channel will be receivable. Scanning usually finds all channels available at the time of the scan.

2. Same as 1. If channels are not available, it may be necessary to reorient, move or upgrade the antenna. I would place the antenna in a high window that faces the wanted channels. The best places to install an antenna (from worst to best) are inside the house, in a window inside the house, in the attic, outside above the roof line, outside above the tree line.

Be aware that atmospheric conditions will change the channels that can be received. In general, cold or wet weather will make some channels difficult to receive. Warm, clear weather often makes more channels appear but they won't always be available. It may be helpful to look at the reception thread for your location. People who live nearby may be able to help.

If more tha one channel with the same programming is available, it should be possible to select which channel to use in the recording software. It may be a good idea to make multiple recordings if they are not 100% reliable.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Is the antenna flat against the glass? Have you tried tilting it slightly upward, or slightly more towards the transmitter, or a little of each? Is there anything visible through the glass you might’ve been getting a reflection off of? It has snowed since Friday - is a reflective surface covered in snow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Verify that the glass is not E rated. Many recent windows have the energy glass which attenuates radio/TV signals.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Okay, so I recently splurged on a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Scribe Duo plus an indoor antenna which I plastered to the highest point in the highest window in the house.

It was working fine up until last Friday. I used it mainly to cap programming off of CITS-DT (aka YesTV). But then I noticed over this past weekend, I wasn't getting any caps. So after troubleshooting everything, I realize the thing just needs a rescan and an update, but afterwards, I noticed that the one channel I was recording things on vanished, in leu of channels that aren't as useful to me.

After doing the best research I could, I found that sometimes these antennas will find another feed and then dump the feed you had before. So my question is, is there any way to manually choose the channels you want to pick up if you can only have 7 or 8 in your local vicinity?

Thank you kindly.

-Arian
In my experience with HDHomeRun devices, if a channel vanishes, it usually means that signal strength is marginal. A clear example of that for me is NBC out of Buffalo.

You may want to spend some time adjusting your antenna placement to optimize for signal strength for the channels that you're interested in picking up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the antenna flat against the glass? Have you tried tilting it slightly upward, or slightly more towards the transmitter, or a little of each? Is there anything visible through the glass you might’ve been getting a reflection off of? It has snowed since Friday - is a reflective surface covered in snow?
The window is not covered in snow, it's a pretty clear view actually. In addition to this, as I said in my original post, I set it at the highest point on the highest window of the house to begin with.

If you guys notice anything wrong with what you see here though, feel free to let me know.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you’re not going to read and consider the responses, you’re going to get the same effort in reply to your requests.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you’re not going to read and consider the responses, you’re going to get the same effort in reply to your requests.
I have read and considered the responses. I've pretty much done everything you guys have said already besides seeing the window is E-rated, I don't know how to do that.

What's with the sudden hostility anyway?

·
Registered
139 Posts
E-rated, as in radiation has a hard time passing through?
Do you own the home? Do you have roof or attic access? Are you handy, as in can you build and fix simple things?
I understand being on a budget or having limited resources, but you’ll do better with a roof-mounted antenna, even of your own making. If you’re in the GTA, you shouldn’t have a hard time finding an antenna that will pick up what’s available OTA at your location. (What does rabbitears say?) Poke around on the antenna development sub forum here - I built a nikiml GH variant that works great for my location. All I had to add was a VHF antenna for CFTO.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Agree, I would use an outdoor antenna outdoors.
Some E - rated glass can have similar attenuation as reinforced concrete walls. So it may sound counter intuitive to try your little antenna in other areas other than the windows, but do try.

That is why I will never have them in my house. I would like my wifi to go outside a bit, I enjoy having cellular signals in my living room. If we build our house too tight, we get no ventilation, and invite other problems like this. Just to save a couple bucks, no thanks.
Besides, we don't live in Pheonix, AZ up here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Arian,
The HDHomeRun should pick up all of the stations that have a strong enough signal when you scan.
You could try scanning at different times of day. Signals are usually stronger at night, but might also get interference.
You could try moving the window antenna outside (maybe on the outside of the window) just to do the scan and see if you can get the stations you want, then move it back indoors and see if it will still get those stations.
But if those stations are marginal strength, you might continue to have problems with them. (check on rabbitears.info for signal strength in your area and antenna direction)
If the signal strength is weak, your only options might be a bigger antenna or maybe a booster.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
So my question is, is there any way to manually choose the channels you want to pick up if you can only have 7 or 8 in your local vicinity?
Hello, Arian.

When I connect my HDHR4-2US tuner to my laptop with a network cable and setup the Silicondust software for Windows 10, I can click through the channels on the GUI to see what the Signal Strength, Signal Quality, and Symbol Quality are. Signal Quality must be above 50% and Symbol Quality must be 100% for reliable reception. The GUI is in the Silicondust software.

Can view channels_1.jpg

Once I have decided which channels are reliable, I can eliminate the less desirable channels from the lineup:

HDHR Setup_1.jpg

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
All my HDTVs allow direct channel selection. In other words I don't have to rescan. I just enter the RF channel number and if there is a signal the TV will receive it and displace its virtual channel number.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
All my HDTVs allow direct channel selection. In other words I don't have to rescan. I just enter the RF channel number and if there is a signal the TV will receive it and displace its virtual channel number.
I also prefer my SONY TVs to the HDHR. They can add a channel after scan without needing to rescan.

I bought my Silicondust HDHR4-2US tuner to learn more about it; so many people were saying how great it was. I still prefer the TV.

I also wanted to learn how difficult it was to have two tuners for two antennas aimed in different directions. It works, but the output is network/WiFi, not RF which is needed for multiple TVs on coax splitters.

The Televes Avant-X is a possible solution, but expensive.

If you have two antennas aimed in different directions and just one TV, the most cost-effective solution is to have the main antenna connected to the TV antenna input, and have the second antenna connected to a tuner like the Mediasonic HW-150 with its output connected to the HDMI input of the TV. Even the HW-150 is able to add a channel after scan.

·
Registered
9,315 Posts
The big advantage to the HDHR is the fact that it is networked based. There is no need to run coax. This also allows direct access to OTA by any network attached device, including over wifi. Shows can be recorded with any PC media software that supports the HDHR. Integrated TV tuners often perform better for live OTA but a lot of people no longer watch live TV. For integrating OTA TV into a complete media server solution that includes DVR, the HDHR a great solution.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts