Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Yamaha 6160 hooked up to Klipsch speakers, along with a JBL sub. Everything works really well when I crank the sound watching DVDs. However, if I put on a DVD when a kid is sleeping, obviously I can't have the foundations of the house rumbling during action sequences. So I turn the volume down to the bare minimum, but what I find that is that I am constantly upping the volume during speaking parts, and then lowering it during action sequences (explosions, fly-bys, etc.).

How do I tell the receiver to "normalize" the sound so that the voices are louder, without also making the explosions louder?

Thanks,
DD.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Since voice is typically on the centre channel, you might try bumping up your centre channel volume.

·
Super Moderator
56,521 Posts
What hugh suggests is usually recommended if you find the dialogue difficult to hear - many people have this setup all the time - 1-2 dB higher on the center channel, since that's where the dialogue usually is (assuming you're properly decoding the incoming signal and the signal is properly encoded).

Another option is that most AVRs have a "midnight mode", which compresses all of the audio, or you could turn off the sub.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I'll bump the centre channel. One question about midnight mode :

"compresses all the audio", you mean it reduces the overall volume automatically ? Or does it figure out when the sound is too loud, and automatically do what I am doing with the remote? (ie. lowering sound in loud bits, raising it in quiet ones).

Thanks,
DD.

·
Super Moderator
56,521 Posts
Midnight mode limits (reduces) the dynamic range of the programming, so that instead of ranging say 70dB, it may only allow for a 30 dB range (numbers chosen at random, the operating manual may have actual numbers). This means that the quiet bits aren't as quiet and the loud bits aren't as loud. (It doesn't really do any "figuring")

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Fred, I have the same receiver, and I have the same issue with volume - especially dialogue. In addition to bumping the volume of the centre channel a tad, I change the adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control, pg.89) to 'Auto'.

You can also fiddle with the Dynamic Range setting (pg.91, only works with bitstreaming)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Fred and Cooper83, the Yamaha receivers have the "Silent Cinema" Mode for evening listening. My RXV-1700 has it as well. Read your owners manual on the mode and you should be able to find some explanations in there about it. I too like to keep my center channel up a couple of notches as well which does help. But definitely try the "Silent Cinema" mode. I read the product brochure on the 6160 and it says that receiver has it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Dhhooohhhh! I guess that won't work then huh! Sorry about that. Maybe I should have read my own book. :eek: It was actually the "Night Listening Enhancer" that I was thinking of. But I don't see that option anywhere in the 6160 brochure. Unless it's in my blind spot, which would be right in front of my face.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use Silent Cinema all the time (I have 4 young children, can't be blasting sub-powered explosions all over the house late at night). It is actually the reason I went with Yamaha over other AV receiver brands. I had a look at Dolby Headphone receivers as well, and although the sound was quite good with headphones, but as the name suggests, it only supports Dolby surround formats. Silent Cinema supports everything, and by preference, I always select the DTS track when I watch DVDs.

I have no problem at all with the Silent Cinema settings when listening with headphones, the voices are very clear and the surround sound is very good (of course I can turn it up as much as I like with headphones). But the point is, I never find myself turning it up, then down, then up, then down, as I do when watching without headphones. I'll try out bumping the center up a few db tonight since kiddos are at gramma's.

Incidentally, if you want to try Silent Cinema, just make sure you select one of the DSP modes. I suggest Sci-Fi, but whatever you like. If you don't select a DSP mode, Silent Cinema is not actually on, you are simply listening to normal stereo output.

FF.

·
Premium Member
9,234 Posts
Dwayne Gorniak said:
It was actually the "Night Listening Enhancer" that I was thinking of. But I don't see that option anywhere in the 6160 brochure.
In the brochure and the owner's manual for the HTR-6160, it's referred to as Adaptive DRC:
Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control) is a new volume control technology that is effective for low-volume listening, such as at night or with headphones. It applies DRC processing to eliminate the volume differences between loud commercials and ordinary programming and to take into account our ears’ loss of sensitivity as volume decreases.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
My receiver has no quiet/night mode options. I sometimes mute/turn off the receiver and use the TV speakers. (The TV has volume compression options.) Another option may be to turn off the sub in the receiver's speaker configuration and let the front speakers handle the bass. As already suggested, increasing the center speaker volume will raise the level of the dialog.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Incidentally, if you want to try Silent Cinema, just make sure you select one of the DSP modes...If you don't select a DSP mode, Silent Cinema is not actually on, you are simply listening to normal stereo output.
Where in the manual does it say that?

From the link I provided above:

All the listener needs to do is connect a pair of headphones and they will enjoy an accurate simulation of 5.1-channel surround sound in complete privacy. They can even select from among the many CINEMA and HiFi DSP programs to vary the sound field.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'd be more tempted to use the night mode or "Adaptive DRC" as eljay mentioned, rather than ruining a decent YPAO tuning by upping the centre channel.

Also, check speaker placement. Your centre speaker should be as close to ear level as possible (obviously the TV is usually at eye level so this is a compromise, but still, I've seen REALLY bad placement). And in fact all 3 front speakers should be at the same height so that panning scenes are heard correctly.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Fred:

If you want to JUST boost the centre channel, use DIALOG LIFT
if you want to compress the dynamic range then you NIGHT MODE MOVIE
if you want to compress the dynamic range AND maintain the perceived balance between all channel then use ADAPTIVE DRC

(PS: a long-long time ago I used to work for Yamaha)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Cooper83,

Apologies for the long delay in replying, hope you had this thread set to notify.

As to your question about where in the manual does it say "If you don't select a DSP mode, Silent Cinema is not actually on, you are simply listening to normal stereo output. ", have a look at page 51 :

"SILENT CINEMA activates automatically whenever you connect headphones to the PHONES jack while lisentening to sound field programs (see page 48). When activated, the SILENT CINEMA indicator lights up in the front panel display."

Then in the Notes section, it says "SILENT CINEMA is not effective when the Pure Direct or 2ch Stereo mode is selected, or when this unit is in the Straight mode."

You can see this happening when you flick around with the program button. If you select any DSP mode with the headphones plugged in, the Silent Cinema indicator light is on. As soon as you get to a non-DSP mode (pure, stereo, etc.) the indicator light flicks off. If makes sense if you think about it, Silent Cinema is designed to make your ears believe you have real surround sound when listening with normal stereo headphones, therefore it would require intervention of the DSP chip to simulate it.

And finally, thanks David Susilo, I'll boost the Dialog Lift option and see what happens. I had already bumped the center channel with a +2db but did not really notice much of a difference.

FF.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Since my first reply in this thread I have moved and set up my home theatre again. This time I just stayed with the Yamaha YPAO calibration and the sytem sounds freakin incredible. Man I love my amp.

·
Registered
80 Posts
How do I boost the voices with a Yamaha 6160 ?

Hi,

I have a Yamaha 6160 AV receiver. I have it hooked up to a DVD player via HDMI, and then from the receiver to my plasma. Everything works well, but I find that the voices in movies are very low, usually overpowered by the left and right channels. For instance, I was just watching Narnia with my kids and the children in the movie were very difficult to hear when there was ominous music in the background. So I would turn it up to about -30 but then as soon as the Snow Queen showed up, the sound effects nearly burst my ear drums. Then I would turn it back down to -42 or so, but we couldn't hear the dialogue. I spent most of the movie turning it up, then down, then up, then down.

I tried boosting the center channel from 0 to +3 in the advanced menu, but I didn't notice any difference. Is there any other way to do this?

Thanks,
FF.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Replying to myself..... :)

Sorry about that, I had posted about this subject 6 months or so ago, but thought I had tried everything suggested at the time. Apparently, I can't read. I had adjusted the Adaptive DSP setting to Auto as opposed to the Adaptive DRC to Auto.

I have just tried the Adaptive DRC, and I can hear voices quite well even at -50 although I only tried it out for 5 minutes or so. I'll play around with it but it seems I had never set this (it was off).

If there are any other suggestions out there, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
FF.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts