Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My router at the cottage has been bricked. I was using a hand-me down WRT54G v6 (yuck) at the cottage to share a Rogers Portable 2Mbps (claimed) connection. Worked fine last year.

After 10 continuous days of use at the cottage this summer, sharing a wifi connection between 7 laptops, 1 iPhone, 1 BB, 1 iPad, and possibly an iPod Touch, the router no longer would let people connect to the wifi. I stream from my slingplayer, and dload a couple of tv shows as we can't get satellite up there. Power resets didn't help much, and I couldn't access many of the pages in the router setup through FF. The pages would return blank. I tried changing the wifi security settings, and that wouldn't take.

Ethernet connection wasn't much better. I tried reflashing the firmware, but it wouldn't take.

Luckily. it happened on our last day up there. I wonder if the death was just due to age, or the fact that we had a heat wave up there, and sometimes the temps inside the cottage were in the high 20's, or the fact that there were so many wifi connections.

I've got a new WRT54GL from Canada computers and will Tomato it and bring it up for this weekend. I've got the same router at home, and it's been running without need for resets for the past 12-18months.....

P

·
Registered
833 Posts
Did you try doing a hard reset on it? You press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds or so and when you release it should reboot and return to factory defaults.

If the firmware got corrupted somehow you can also try forcing a tftp reload of the firmware.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah a hard reset didn't fully work...

it did reset the SSID to linksys, no encryption, and reset the admin password, but still couldn't get to all the pages in the setup...
- had a difficult time setting up a new WPA password
- unresponsive when setting up a new SSID

P

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
hmm, I've never had a router break on me. I have always upgraded before I needed to replace.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I go through routers like crazy (or so it seems) :)

My Linksys WRT54G kept dropping the connection on me even after upgrading to DD-WRT. Eventually it developed similar symptoms to what your router did.

My ASUS WL-500g Premium power cable failed (a common issue with that router, and I just never bothered to get a new adapter since I wanted 802.11n (if you have this router and all the lights are lit when plugging it in, more than likely it's the same issue).

My D-Link DIR-655 still works fine, though I stopped using it since the router didn't support WDS.

Now I'm using a Linksys WRT150N and a Netgear WNDR3700 that are both working fine.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
My router would just forget about my other computers hooked on my network. Some kind of electronic alzeimers or something.

Ended up buying a new one and all has been fine ever since.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Interesting stuff. My 5, maybe even 6 year old eBay $20 Trendnet TEW432BRP is still going strong, well as strong as it has ever been (which isn't very strong at all).

Done firmware updates, changed settings and the only problem is it stops working when I use WPA so I'm forced to use WEP instead.

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
I've never had one die either. I have given away one that was obsolete (802.11b & WEP only) but all the others keep on tickin'.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
blueroomelectro,

I was running Linksys firmware (it's a ver 6 router). So it couldn't take the full DDWRT or Tomato firmware.

I just Tomato'd (1.28) my new wrt54gl modem, and I'll take it up this w/e to the cottage.

DD-WRT interests me because I could supposedly use it to extend the wifi range to several cottages using WDS..... hmmm.....

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
My WRT54G (V5 or 6, the one with reduced memory), quit reliably connecting to the internet, so I use it as a WAP (it works fine as a WAP and ethernet switch) off of my older D-link DI704P, whose only failure has been a power supply capacitor.

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
$20 Trendnet TEW432BRP is still going strong, well as strong as it has ever been (which isn't very strong at all).
he only problem is it stops working when I use WPA
I was so happy the day I ditched my $10 craptastic TEW432BRP router. Like you it had "issues with WPA. But it never died! It turns out it was not able to utilize 63 character passcodes. I shortened the passcode to 30 characters and WPA worked. That and the most recent firmware. To this day I will not even look at Trendnet technology.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
About all I can say is the WRT54GL is a LOT better than their WRT54G. Not just because of the 3rd-party FW, but even the wall-wart is better. Stupid me bought the Gs because they were easier to get, and now they've been replaced with GLs, but can't say the Gs ever actually broke (wimpy PS, I bet that would be the weak point). I will be VERY disappointed the day any of my GLs give up the ghost (love the Tomato features). A *smarter* person would buy extras. A much smarter person would set up a spare router *right now* to match their main router. Especially when he knows the GLs won't be around that much longer. :) (I know, we keep thinking there'll be better for cheaper, some new spec we'll want, at least for a theoretical improvement. That's my excuse.)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks Jake, I'll try that.

I'm with you on never buying Trendnet again. I'm just waiting for it to either die or a new router to move up on my very long to buy list. It does the job for web surfing and I've wired up everywhere else for video streaming.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I had a router die due to my apartment being flooded. It was the D-Link DIR-625. Definitely not on the floor but on the top of my desk. The cord, however, may have been on the floor, or parts of it, anyway. Once the flood was all cleaned up, the D-link wouldn't even turn on. I plugged it into various outlets around the apartment, but nada. Did the whole reset thing with the pen in the little hole, but zilch.

My roommate suggested opening it up and drying it out with a hairdryer, but again, the unit itself never touched the water. So I just replaced it with a Netgear WNR3500L. Life with internet is back. Me happy. :)

cheers,
supervij

1 - 20 of 21 Posts