Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all,

Been following this forum for a while and decided to contribute my recent experience with getting Telus Optik.

Got the usual confirmation call 2 days before my install. Had it booked for the Saturday, was told the tech would be out between 8am and 5 pm. The tech gave me a call around 10am letting me know he would arrive in about 30 minutes. He arrived just after 1030 with all the equipment. I was getting a 330 set up in the office and then using my 360 as a STB in my living room, and getting the Optik Turbo service. I already have an existng wired network so all the tech had to do was set up the Actiontec in the office and connect it to my switch. I opted to use the Actiontec as the main router (disabled DHCP on my router) to make things less complicated.

Installation was smooth enough, though I was slightly misled by Telus' sales staff. They told me I could use my Xbox 360 AS A PVR, which of course I cannot. It wasn't a huge deal breaker as I didn't want a pvr in the first place, but I thought it would be a nice bonus. Once the Xbox was set up I tried to pause live tv and I told the tech that the PVR function wasn't working. He tried a couple things and noticed that the PVR function was disabled. He called Telus tech support to troubleshoot. 20 minutes and 2 calls later we got a tier 2 tech who said we cannot use the Xbox as a PVR. I was surprised that the tech hadn't realized this, so I was kinda bummed that I would not have a PVR, but like I said it wasn't something I wanted to begin with anyways, but if I had it then that would be awesome too.

In all it took the tech 2 hours to set everything up, 30 minutes of that though was troubleshooting the PVR thing. I immediately did a speed test to make sure I was getting 25mbps and noticed that it topped out at 14mbps. I told the tech and he made a call to Telus support. They had gotten my order wrong, they had me at the 15mbps service. The tech said he would call and place a work order to get me on the turbo service. He told me to check the next day and if I wasn't switched to it to call them myself.

So the next morning I woke up and found I had a voicemail from a Telus tech on my phone. He said that he had a work order that I had no tv/internet service and that he had resolved the issue, and that if I still had no service to give him a call. I wasn't really sure what was going on so I went and checked the Actiontec router and the DSL and Internet lights were off. Tried on ym laptop and no service. SO I gave him a call and he came out and checked the box outside the building, called me back and asked me to try it. Lights came back on and everything worked, so I let him know. I made sure to do a speed test after I was still on the 15mbps package, so I gave Telus a call and they created a work order to have me switched. Hopefully when I get home after work today I'll be on the proper package.

Overall I was satisfied with the quality of the installation. The tech gave me his card for if I have any issues and he seemed fairly knowledgeable when I asked him some technical questions. I was sort of frustrated about be being misled about the PVR and about not being on the internet package I asked for, but being that I work in IT I am used to this sort of thing.

The only thing that I can think that could be improved would be on the sales side. The sale rep I had talked to knew very little about the Optik service itself. The most knowledgeable person was the tech who came out haha.

Considering I came from using some very poor wireless internet service in the country I am VERY happy with the consistency of Telus Optik internet (played COD 5 hours straight with some buddies without any issues). For the tv service the HD picture is rather disappointing though, imho Bell's HD is a lot clearer and the guide is much more responsive than on my 360. Anyways that was my experience.

·
Registered
340 Posts
When you switch from another provider to Optik most of you will find the picture is much softer than before. Adjusting your TV's settings will fix that right up for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just switched from Shaw on the 18th. The tech came 3.5 hours earlier (he did make a phone call 10 min prior to arriving).

He spend ~1.5 hours installing all 3 services. We used to be a Telus phone customer way back then, so this could be why he was able to finish in such short time.

He informed me about the progress along the way.
During the install, I asked him whether I needed to call Shaw myself to cancel the service. He said no. On the 20th, I called Shaw just to make sure my service was indeed cancelled. To my surprise, it was not! Had I not call Shaw, I would have to pay extra.

I called Telus and found out the tech had forgotten to get me to sign a transfer form to send to Shaw to cancel our previous Shaw service.

Please advice all your tech about this issue. We customers don't want to pay for 2 services at the same time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The same thing happened to me regarding Telus cancelling my Shaw. I phoned Telus to complain about the additional charges and they reimbursed me!

My initial install was good- Tech knew what he was doing but when he saw our phone drop coming into our house was sealed with caulking compound, he didn't change the drop.

I then had problems with noise on the line (including the phone) and someone came and changed the wiring pairs on the pole. Unfortuantely, they didn't check for bridge taps. I feel that he thought he had fixed my problem (for about 3 hours) but he didn't leave a card and didn't complete the job. In changing the pair, he should have checked to ensure there were no problems.

A third tech came to fix my problems, and he changed the outside drop, about 3 hours work on a Friday PM. He also left his card. When I had problems, he then checked for Bridge taps and found 2. I am now on a
3HD/1SD profile and it's working well.

Except for the slowness of MR 2.02, I am thrilled with my service. The CSRs are usually great, and Telus is responsive to complaints.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts