Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've created this thread not as a rant thread, but as a place where current Optik TV customers can post constructive criticism. My goal is to find out where TELUS drops the ball and what it is that you think TELUS should do to make the installation experience better.

I want to start with the installation experience because that’s often the first impression and it makes a lasting one.

Please don't post rants. If you have previously posted a rant, please reference it with its posting number from the rant thread. I will certainly refer to the rant thread and indicated post to get your full story. Please try to stay on topic, I'm starting with installation issues only, not ongoing issues.

I'd like to know the top 3 things or issues that left you cold about your installation. If there are more than 3 by all means level with me.

If you had a good installation with no issues, please relate what you thought was good about it, and any way it could have gotten better.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'll start with a good experience. Tech arrived on time in the middle of a January Edmonton blizzard. He was in & out in about an hour. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I got my optik TV installed April 4 this year. Things started off with him saying he would be there sometime between 8am and 5pm (thanks for narrowing it down), so I had to take the day off work. When he got to my place, he seemed fairly new and inexperienced. I'm in IT and so I take curiosity of the things he's doing. Many times I would ask him a question and he would answer with "I don't know, that's what I was trained to do." Things like "can I use my existing router (netgear wndr3700) as an access point, or the actiontech as just a modem (since I like the features and performance of the Netgear, and that's why I bought it)? And he would tell me no, or he didn't know, etc. His install was clean, but it took him a long time (3 hours) even though it was a very simple install in my 8 year old condo.

In short, I wish he was more knowledgeable and worked quicker.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My install was scheduled for 10am, and the tech showed up on time (it was technically a 10am-noon window). The install was good, but took too long (5 hours or so). I have 2 TVs and an apartment, getting internet/phone/tv installed.

Overall great, except the time it took.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately there isn't much that can be done about the installation times. I know when you watch the tech it all seems simple enough. The truth is there are a number of things that must be done correctly, with good attention to detail, or your intallation won't pan out the way you'd like.

The average times to do an installation for OptikTV are as follows;
1 STB = 3 hours
2 STB = 3.5 hours
3 STB = 4 hours
4 STB = 4.5 hours
5 STB = 5
6 STB = 5.5

These are only averages, and are for OptikTV alone. If you are getting internet and telephone you can generally add as much as 2 more hours to these figures. Sometimes the tech will get lucky and things will go a bit quicker, sometimes things can take longer, occasionally much longer. These are the average times though. Good to keep in mind when you are setting up your installation appointment. Make sure you leave enough time. Techs are not permitted to work unattended in the house either so someone over 18 has to be there the WHOLE time.

Thanks for the input so far!

I know there are a lot more of you out there, come on don't be shy. I REALLY want to know, if you were the tech's boss, what improvements would you make in TELUS's OptikTV installations that would have made your installation a more positive experience.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
85 Posts
I can confirm more tomorrow as my install is happening then, but its based on my neighbours experience:

The Bad: She went through two install techs before they sent someone with more than base knowledge. We live in a Townhouse Complex of Duplex units, and they all have similar setups in terms of the phone/cable coming in, but the first two just didn't know what to do with it.

The Good: The third guy was able to perform the install AND gave her his card, and said I could call him direct. Instead of going through the website or calling I was able to call him, as he already has intimate knowledge of our complex and install criteria, and setup the appt in a abnormal manner. He said he had to act like he had a service call in the area, but that this turned into an install.

Overall the fact you can't specify a tech in a certain area is dumb. I probably had a 50/50 chance of getting someone that had no idea about the install here, but why not at least try and take advantage ( on Telus' end ) to use an installer that already knows our 73 Unit complex. The fact he had to "fudge it" to get me in is just wasteful on Telus' part. Using an installer that will ultimately take less time saves them money.

I would hope there is tracking of time on all installs and its tied to the tech so you build a database of which techs work in which areas, and perform the work the fastest and dispatch based on that. I'd much prefer to hear from Telus that my install would be a week or 10 days from now ( which is long ) but that the tech knows the install area well, and has a good shot of successfully completing the installation on time, on schedule and successfully.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Telus Excellent So Far

Well I posted a lengthy post in the "What to Expect" thread but I'll give a brief run down here.

The install was excellent and service was top notch. The installers I had there were informed and knew the Telus product and knew enough about Shaw product to talk about the differences as well. As far as I was concerned they went above what they needed by running CAT5 and Coax through my crawl space from the den into the living room. They also ran all my entertainment system wiring behind the wall to make a completely clean install.

They arrived within the window that I was told they would and the install took about 3.5 hours for 3 STB's. In general, I am not sure what could be improved as I am quite happy with how my install went.

And I am loving Optik so far!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had my Optik installed in November 2010 with 1 PVR.

Good:
The Telus tech called me from his office (Pitt Meadows) to let me know he was on the way over. He arrived on time.

I found the Tech to be very pleasant and he did a great job on install overall. He let me tag along so see what he was up to, which was awesome. I took telecom in school but haven't really put it to too much use lately so it was really nice to see the process.

For my network setup it turned out I needed an extra switch. The Tech had one in his van and gave it to me. I was very happy that I didn't have to use my old router like a switch in a pinch.

The Tech gave me his card and told me to call him directly if I had any problems, which I haven't.

Bad:
Nothing

Wishes:
My Tech knew his job inside and out but was not too familiar with the networking aspects. I had a few questions about how to connect to my network in the best manner but the Tech didn't know the answers. In the end this turned out to be moot because it all worked out the way I suspected it would.

The "more networking knowledge" is really a minor thing, in my opinion, because the main task at hand was installation of Optik TV, which turned out very good.

//

Good thread.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ours was installed two weeks ago. Knew the date but not the time of course that the installer was to arrive. Would have appreciated a phone call just before he arrived but not that big a deal I suppose. Saw him through the door and opened it before he had a chance to ring the bell. I guess I surprised him so didn't introduce himself. Install went smoothly and a second installer showed up sometime later but really wasn't necessary. (He did introduce himself immediately)

The notoriously unreliable web generated profile of 3hd/1sd for our phone number was just that - unreliable. I wish the installer had told me, as soon as he knew, what our profile would be. It turned out that we were connected at ADSL2+ 2sd/1hd. That would have been a nonstarter for me had I known before the install. Yes, I should have asked before things got going. So I called him the next day and presto! we were on a VDSL2 3hd/1sd connection and it worked well. Sometime in the past week though it reverted to the original profile. I called him again and we are now at 2hd/1sd which is okay. The installer said that its a more stable connection. Possibly he is referring to the state of our backyard 50 year old copper? Even after reading for months through these forums I have no idea of how the determination is made for your correct profile.

Had one purchased STB for which he called me with the registration code. That was very simple to connect.

Like the increased internet speed. I might have been willing to put up with only one hd feed just for that alone.

Relatively positive experience. Installer was a good person to deal with.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Great install, 3 STB's and it took around 1.5 hrs. Tech was a little quite but he had a trainee with him so was a little focused on that. About 30 mins after the tech left I got a call from a Supervisor wanting to come out and do an inspection, agreed and that took about 30 mins. He said the install was very good but did point out that I could have had a phone socket changed to an ethernet port when I said I wanted to booster the wireless signal with a repeater.

Tech had left me his card, very good as you don't get that from Shaw, and I called him to come back which he did that day and installed the ethernet as requested.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Install went today. Started at 10am and finished around 4pm, and I have existing boxes that were just swapped out. This is why I was thankful to have the tech I wanted at my home. He was on the phone for various reasons throughout the day, upwards of 30 mins at a time.

The initial phonecall he made was to someone that royally screwed up the rest of the process, and generated another tech to call me around 2pm to install my system. He was surprised to hear that it was already done and just awaiting some connections back at the road and main office.

For most this would be a fail, but I took the day off and was more than happy to have the guy I had, because he knew what he was doing.

Service so far is great, for the crappy 1HD/2SD profile I've got. Can't wait to call Shaw.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apart from a couple of issues we are very pleased with our recent OPTIK Install.

By the way we converted from being long time BELL satellite customers.

First matter is channel selection - the following are missing – Knowledge (BC), SCN (Sask), TVO from Toronto.These carry largely excellent ‘Canadian content’ programs and the material is different to most of the other available channels. I know some of these are on the TELUS system and available in other areas and that CRTC rules are blamed on TELUS documents for the non inclusion – however since Bell carry them this argument does not seem very sound.

Second matter is technical and very frustrating We have been in the habit of copying material off the PVR onto DVD for personal use only – using a standard DVD Recorder. We were always able to do this on our BELL pvr for SD and HD. With the TELUS system I can do the same procedure for standard def TV, but not with HD. A long and helpful discussion with an OPITK CSR , while not answering the question, did lead me to some material on the Internet that suggests that the HD signals are copy protected – even though the exact same SD signal is not. I have tried all device inter-connections and configurations and every time my DVD recorder complains that it cannot record or that the program is copy write. This makes no sense as many of the HD programs can actually be watched directly on the Internet. It seems that there is some embedded copy protection (CPRM) which may allow copy once, but that copy once is used up on the PVR hard drive.

Third to observe that the response time to remote control commands is often rather slow and the 'signal power' from the remote has limited range and direction.

·
Registered
114 Posts
...the 'signal power' from the remote has limited range and direction.
Have you tried putting in new batteries? There's no guarantee that the batteries that came with the remote are fresh.

·
Registered
204 Posts
the install went smooth my only complaint is they wouldnt run ethernet to my office (2nd bedroom) computer and i am forced to use wireless which is less than ideal - is this standard or could i call to get them wire it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Telus install of Optik TV went smoothly. I have nothing to complain about. I got an automated message to confirm my appointment time and also received a cell phone call from technician on the day of the install indicating that he was on time and would be arriving shortly.

For my install, it was pretty easy for the technician. I have a structured wiring panel and all the tech. had to do was make the connections. I firmly told the CSR when I ordered that I wanted to use my RG6 coax and none of the ethernet wires. CSR told me that they could not guarantee that depending on the situation. But once the tech. came, he looked at the setup and went straight to the coax. Upon setting everything up, the tech. ran a test on all of my coax and I passed all of the tests on his IBM notebook. I was happy.

After setup of the PVR and 2 STBs, the technician left me his card. Like I said, everything went smoothly.

The only thing is that I did not get a survey phone call from Telus regarding my opinion of their service. Although this could be my fault as I ignore most unidentified calls on my CID.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Survey calls are random, and not every customer gets one. Quality Assurance Inspectors are also random. You may or may not have a TELUS QA Inspector visit you to ask about/check your installation.

Literally thousands of customers are being connected to Optik each month. Only a small sample are surveyed.

You can always use a contact link on the TELUS.com website to send TELUS a message about your customer service experience.

I created this thread to give yet another means of input from customers. There is a manager who is looking at this thread regularly now and I am in contact with them weekly in regard to the info posted in this thread.

Please keep the info coming, good bad or indifferent, TELUS (and myself) want to know how it went for you.

I'm always available by PM to address post installation issues and see where I can assist or advise. I pass these along to my manager when appropriate, so that individual customers issues are brought to TELUS's attention.

TELUS is recognising the validity and candid nature of social networking sites and forums such as this one as a window to customer opinion and expectations. I personally champion this, as I think there is just as much validity to the posts on ths forum as there is to a call in to a call center.

When customers take the time to participate in the discussions that take place here, its only common sence that TELUS should show interest.

I don't receive any compensation for my participation here, I'm aways here on my own time (ATM I'm sick as a dog @ home so I have more time than usual for the forum) but there are paid staff at TELUS that cruise the forums and social networking sites to look for issues and to guage customer expectations and how the customers experience can be improved.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
21 Posts
the install went smooth my only complaint is they wouldnt run ethernet to my office (2nd bedroom) computer and i am forced to use wireless which is less than ideal - is this standard or could i call to get them wire it?
I am NOT speaking for Telus and don't know the official stance but my guess is that it all depends on a lot of variables. It comes down to what is required, how the house is constructed, and how much the technician is comfortable in doing the requested task.

When I had Optik TV installed, I asked the technician if they break drywall, drill, and fish wire. He said "NO". In a way, I don't blame him because retrofit wiring can involve a lot depending on the circumstances. I don't think they want to be held liable for doing too much construction related work. They may not be qualified.

I asked the same question not too long ago to my alarm company (one of the largest independents in the GVRD). I inquired about doing some retrofit wiring and they said they don't do such a thing normally. And this is coming from a company that does a lot of prewiring work and as well as having done mine.

You may have to contact a contractor, electrical company, or look up certified CEDIA installers if the job is complex.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I regularly fish wire and run new wire all over the place. It IS part of the job. Every tech has things they will and won't do. I will NOT enter attics. That is my own decision. Some techs might, I won't. I WILL crawl around in crawl spaces and some techs won't. All techs are expected to occasionally fish wire, otherwise I can't understand what those 'glowrods' I was provided with are for.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well, there's fishing and then there's FISHING. There's really just no way to make a hard and fast rule about what's expected because of the tremendous number of variables in every job.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^^^
Too true. In the end the best person to decide how to do the job is the onsite tech.

The next variable is whether or not the tech is willing to do what should be done.

TELUS policy is still to always make every effort to hardwire the primary PC, unless that PC is a wifi laptop.

- another TELUS tech

1 - 20 of 24 Posts