Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My situation:

I have all my CDs ripped to WMA lossless format. This year I got an iPod Touch and Apple TV so now I am using iTunes. The result is I am now in the process of ripping all the CD's again to Apple Lossless.

I prefer lossless because I am playing these songs over my stereo and want the best possible sound.

So my question is:

How can I create a library of Lossy versions for transfer to my iPod touch or can I somehow have a lossy version automatically created when I transfer songs to my touch?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay so from my research it seems I am out of luck. It sounds like I will essentially have to take every song in the library and then re encode in say AAC 128k or 256k by doing the following:

• Goto edit preferences.
  • Click on the General Tab
  • Click on the import settings
  • Set the import dropdown to AAC encoder and the preferred bitrate
  • Highlight all my Lossless song in itunes and righmouse click
  • Click on Create _________ Version where ________ is the bitrate I set in the encoder.
The result would be duplicates of every song: one in lossless and one in lossy format.

This seems really ridiculous because now it screws up my library and presumably would screw up genius.

Help!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With multiple libraries, I guess I would put all my lossless music in one library and lossy music in another. I guess I would stuff all the podcasts and applications in the lossy library because they are for use on the iPod

But what about Video. I want my video available to Apple TV, iPod and iTunes so I would want it available to both libraries.

The other thing is when I rip a new CD, wouldn't I have to rip it into each library? I want to rip a bunch of CD's into lossless and then mass convert them to lossy using the right mouse button.

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Well for the ATV it can only sync to 1 library but can stream from up to 5(?) I think.

I do not know a way for you to rip a cd to 2 formats and then have them show up in each library. When i read your 1st post I thought you were going to re-rip all your cd's to Apple Lossless?

I assumed you just wanted that 1 library for transferring to your touch the lossless rips.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am ripping all my cds to lossless which I will then convert to lossy in the one library. In future though (when I had 2 libraries) I would have to rip once in each library - correct?

I assumed you just wanted that 1 library for transferring to your touch the lossless rips.
As I noted, if it was only music then okay but the podcasts and and video need to be in both which makes in all very complicated.

Ideally, Apple iTunes would be much better if it could create one instance of a song in the library but multiple files suporting it (lossless and lossy). Then you could just say which version to use when. lossless in itunes and lossy when moving to a disc.

I understand the shuffle used to have software that would convert lossless to lossy. I think this should be an option for all iPods then you wouldn't need to worry.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
My music library is all in FLAC. I also have a mp3 library in my Walkman phone.

Yesterday, I needed to encode an album in mp3 for my walkman phone. Instead of ripping that album again, I imported the FLAC album into itune, which restored it to wave format, and then encoded it to mp3. My point is that may be you can do the same with wma?

BTW, a more direct way for me is foobar2000, from flac to mp3 in one step.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The last thing I want to do in more encoding. I want all my songs encoded in Apple Lossless and Apple 128. The problem is how to best serve it up.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Hugh: may be my message is not clear, or I mis understand your problem. What I was trying to get at is that you do not have to rip your cd's again into itune. Just import or drag your wma albums into itune and it will convert to itune lossless.

Mind you, I have not done it myself, I just read about this in internet.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
e268, I know all that but that is not my problem!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess that is interesting but that isn't my problem.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hugh.. this is what I do.

I have one library. In that library I have a Playlist called Lossless and one called iPod. So lossless format in one and other formats in the iPod playlist.

Basically you will have 2 versions of each song in the entire library but your playlist is what will differentiate the 2.

When I sync the ipod... it only syncs to the ipod playlist. With ATV you can select whatever you want.

Don't know if that will help you out.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hdtvvan, that is what I have now. I have multiple playlists for multiple iPods.

The problem is that your library has two entries for every song so it makes searching a pain and presumably scews up Genius.

·
Registered
344 Posts
"How can I create a library of Lossy versions for transfer to my iPod touch or can I somehow have a lossy version automatically created when I transfer songs to my touch?"

As far as I know there is now way to convert from one format to another during the transfer to the iTouch. With iTunes you need to have the mutliple copies to do what you want to do. Smart Playlists can help in keeping the formats separated and then syncing the various playlists with the various devices but you will always have to have multiple copies.

·
Registered
863 Posts
iTunes 7 added support for multiple libraries. Then you can have a lossless library for home and a lossy version for iPods. On the Mac hold the Option key when starting iTunes and on the PC hold the Shift key when starting iTunes. You get a dialog to open or create a library.

I have iTunes in my Start menu and <shift> iTunes doesn't do squat but Start -> All Programs -> iTunes -> <shift> iTunes does work. Apparently a desktop icon works too but I don't use those.

A search of "itunes multiple libraries" finds all sorts of stuff. Having lossless and lossy libraries is a common use of this feature.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dog Byte, I know, see Post #4.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
blueroomelectro, thanks, the author's issue is identical to mine and I actually found Doug's scripts the other day in my research but its only for Mac!

Thanks again though!

I have come to the conclusion that there is no way to do this on Windows.

It really is sad because Apple is supposedly praying at the alter of "ease of use" and yet itunes can't do what many WMA/MP3 players and software have been doing for years.

P.S. I'm not trying to Apple Bash, I'm just frustrated!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FWIW, I essentially have two workarounds:

First, creating two smart playlists - One for lossless and one for lossy and not use the Genius feature.

Second, Create two libraries with all the hassles I mentioned in earlier posts and be able to use the Genius feature

1 - 20 of 23 Posts