Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ton of .m2ts files from the last 4 or 5 years.

Some are from my first Sony HD Camcorder and many from my Canon HD camcorder.

I want to organize them all and preferably add metadata so they can be played back from my HTPC.

Anyone have some thoughts?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Date folders

I have a pretty low-tech approach, but it helps me stay organized. I:

- create a folder for each year, and each month based on shoot date (some months may have nothing, so no folder)

- I use ISO dates so things always sort properly, but often append reminders, so I may end up with a directory/file combo like this:

/2011/201103/20110301 - C's birthday/20110301-01.m2ts
/2011/201103/20110301 - C's birthday/20110301-02.m2ts
/2011/201103/20110331 - snowballs/20110331-01.m2ts
etc.

It looks much cleaner in a file explorer.

That way when I add them to projects they're easy to re-find for manipulation, re-inclusion, post edits, titles, whatever.

As I make movies I tend to embed timelines, one timeline for each "event" living in either the month or year folder, and a master timeline in the year.

Maybe I'm date obsessed - I do that with my raw stills too (though I don't use the path "hints" because I tag photos).

Even if you are going back to reorganize it can be a very fast process, as the m2ts files will have a creation date you can sort on, and they'll almost group themselves based on that.

YMMV but I hope it sparks ideas.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the files are transferred to my computer with a separate folder by day and then the files themselves have a date stamp so anything shot today would start with 20110407

I'm really wanting a program that can catalogue all those files and then allow me to tag the files so they can be searched.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Ideally, I am hoping for a non-proprietary system. Maybe something that generates XML files that can be used with any program in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts