Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
> Also I don't think Bell has to wait for Dish to have enough old equipment in refurb for Bell to buy as I think they buy all their equipment directly from Echostar as the equipment manufacturer and not from Dish at all.

They've always bought ReFurbs and reboxed them as new, hell, dish does it even now.

Countless videos and stories online of people tearing off the RID sticker on the back of a bell box to find a dishnetwork RID underneath.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So... for those of you who've been using the H3 for a few months now (*looks at Blackloz*), how has the experience been? Any major bugs or issues?

I'm still using the original Hopper, but I'll be upgrading to the H3 this summer. Can't wait till Dish is done with the voice remote beta test, since I'll be grabbing one as soon as it's released to the public. And I just found out a few days ago that it's so easy to transfer my current Hopper's recordings to the H3 with an external hard drive. :D

It boggles the mind though, in the sense that we're almost halfway through 2016, and the two leading satellite providers in Canada are still using 10+ year-old receiver technology. And yes, I know I'm beating a dead horse with this argument, but it just seems ridiculous. I know the providers are focused more on fibe and cable, because of population density. And I know that a lot of people are now turning to the internet to stream shows/movies instead of recording them from traditional TV channels. But sometimes people are forgetting that this isn't always an option for everyone, especially in rural areas where you don't often have a fast enough internet connection to constantly stream near 24/7 video to multiple TVs simultaneously. And even if you have the speed, do you know how much bandwidth is consumed when watching 1080p content? You'd easily bust through your 300 or 500 GB limit in no time flat, streaming HD content, never mind 4K.

It's just phenomenal when you look at the difference in technology. Yes, the U.S. is bigger, and yes, Dish and AT&T have way more money to spend than Bell/Shaw could ever dream of, but at least Dish/AT&T are investing their money into new satellite technologies. That, and the monthly prices are not as bad as they used to be, even with the current exchange rate difference, thanks to Bell/Shaw constantly increasing their prices every year. If I'm paying $102/month for Dish's Top 250 (roughly $135 CDN with the current exchange rates), it's comparable to Bell's "Best" package which is roughly $127 CDN after Ontario tax -- except that with Dish, you get the added benefit of no sim-subs, getting HD channels which aren't available in Canada (like Spike, USA, FXM, multiple HBO/Cinemax channels), and the more advanced receiver technology. And then you wonder why so many avid TV watchers pursue this route, even though it's against the rules. Plus, every few months, you get free preview weekends of HBO/Cinemax/Showtime/EPIX. When was the last time Bell ever did a free preview weekend of HBO Canada or TMN? Never?

And every year or two at CES, you hear about Dish/AT&T coming out with some new kind of innovative product for their satellite customer base. Meanwhile, while those two are actively engaging in constant R&D, I can only imagine the Bell and Shaw CEOs are sitting at their desks with their 6 or 7-figure salaries, with their feet up, not bothering to do anything. On Bell's website, it has said for years now that the 9400 is "Canada's best Satellite HD PVR". And while it pales in comparison to ANY of the 3 versions of the Hopper, or any HR34/44/54 version of AT&T's Genie, the sad fact is, Bell is telling the truth with that statement, because of the ONLY 2 SATELLITE PROVIDERS in Canada, Bell does in fact have the "best Satellite HD PVR" of both of them.

This is why I've lost faith in Canadian providers. That, plus the fact TSN rarely shows the bowling anymore...

On another note, have any providers in Canada even talked about releasing an integrated voice remote with their STB like Dish is doing, and like Comcast already did with their X1?

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
the two leading satellite providers in Canada are still using 10+ year-old receiver technology.
Don't forget the cable companies that are basically doing the same. The issue with satellite in Canada is that there is no money in it. Canada can only support one profitable satellite BDU and it should be independent, not owned by a cable or telephone company who have a vested interest in competing technology. Maybe then we would see innovations like Hopper and Joey.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The Hopper 3 has been great so far. I've had the odd freeze up/reboot and heard of other users having random issues here and there but for the most part it's worked as advertised. We've only managed to have 8 shows recording at once so there has and probably never will be any conflicts with 16 tuners. Sling works great and prime time anytime is awesome. Same with Autohop, having a a 3-7 day delay on Autohop is no big deal as I'm usually weeks behind anyway. It's been very positive so far. I'm on Americas Everything pack. With Epix. Bell has easy access to this equipment and they wouldn't even have to beta test it as Dish has been doing that for them more or less already.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Just to kind of expand on my earlier post. After using the Hopper 3 for a while now. My Thoughts

1. Carbon G.U.I. this guide is simply great. It's a nice clean clear U.I. that shows all the channel logos on the left hand side with the video of current channel shown in upper right side and description of show you are on in the guide on the lower right. It's very fast switching compared to my 9400 which is hooked up to the same TV, with the guide difference being night and day better then Bell's.

2. Internal 2TB HDD with the capability of adding another 2TB EHDD if you choose that's a lot of space. I haven't needed to add an EHD yet as the 2TB gives enough space thus far. Bell still only gives 1TB HDD on the 9400 which under most cases should be lots, although it won't be for the average power user.

3. Tuner count(this is a big one) with 16 tuners I don't think there is another DVR in North America that can touch the H3 yet. We have had 8 shows recording while having 4 Joeys(Clients) on in the house with 3 tuners still being free(one tuner being used for Prime Time Anytime) that's incredible, you can also go into the menu under options and see what channel all the other tuners are on and whats recording through out the house. Bell is still stuck at 2 tuners circa 2010. While speaking to a higher up at Bell not long ago I asked about the 9400 and was told "it has duel tuners and a large hard drive and is the best satellite PVR in Canada. what more do you want?" I said haven't you heard the phrase Evolve of Die? but that's what I think the Corporate execs want as they have some crazy notion of push Fibe on everyone. Well that doesn't work for 3/4 of the country. It's not very well thought out if you ask me. Anyway lets carry on.

4. Apps, The H3 has a nice selection of built in apps. There is Vevo, Facebook, Weather, Netflix, Dish Everywhere, Sports Hub,MLB app,Dish Mobile Quick Start,ect,ect. Sports Hub is kind of cool for the sports buff. It can do game finder and it will show you ALL games currently playing on all Sports channels, and you can select watch, or record or stats to get game stats.

5. Joeys(clients) I've always been against using these as they rob tuners and some are slow compaired to using another DVR. With DirecTV we had a HR44,HR24 and two H24's for a total of 9 tuners and being able to record off 7 at once. It was a nice setup and the whole home worked well but I wouldn't have considered dropping the H24's for clients as they would use tuners while in use. With the H3 that's no longer an issue as I covered in the tuner section. I can also use my Iphone 6s as a wireless Joey for out in the garage. I just plug my phone into the TV using sling & wifi and its an instant joey.

6. Menu System. The menu is neat and organised, with all shows in the DVR folder in their own folders with show logo on them. You can also go into OnDemand or PTAT folders as well. If you hit the home button you can see shows that are "Trending" as well as recommendations for you based on your viewing habits. You can also go into the my account folder and view/make some changes to your account. It also has setting, bluetooth remote controll settings, control 4 which is cool,ect,ect. Very nice over the almost bland & basic menu of the 9400.

7. Remote. The remote is not bad. its got some buttons on the side which are different the remote will store your settings in case you ever need a new unit you can transfer all settings & timers over to the new receiver. The H3 also has a remote locator as well. The kids loose the remote no problem hit the locator button on the H3 and the remote will beep.

8. Built in Wifi. With built in Wifi you don't need any addapter or hardwired connection if its not in reach.

9. Autohop & PTAT. these features have been available for a while now but are new to me so ill include them. Autohop is great as it skips the commercials on my network shows without me doing anything. I like most hate the long commercials these days, because of this I watch next to no live tv other then sports or news and the odd channel surfing. Some shows have autohop delayed between 3-7 days which is just fine by me as I'm always 3+ shows behind at any one time. Prime Time Anytime is nice as it records all network shows on one tuner all week. Very nice feature as its saved me a few times where I forgot to set a timer up IE: Wayward Pines S2.

10. Transfer Content/Dish Anywhere. I can transfer DVR shows to my Ipad and watch anytime as well or thanks to Sling I can watch content on the DVR anywhere.

Final Thoughts. This system is very well made and light years ahead of anything Bell or Shaw has. Bell has this technology at the ready via echostar, hell its even been beta tested already thanks to Dish. If they brought this to Canada it would be a game changer for them I believe. They would have to do little to modify their current system to make this work. My personal opinion is that neither Bell or Shaw has any interest in upgrading the equipment they have which is shameful on their part. If they want to stay in the game they must upgrade or do nothing and fade away. I can't recall when Bell even added a new HD channel. Where is MTV HD? how about American Heroes Channel HD? or H2 HD? The only reason we keep Bell now is for local news and CFL football. Skinny Basic here we come.

·
Registered
819 Posts
The Hopper & Joey were promised at an Installers Road Show many years ago, they never appeared, I have no idea why not as I am sure they would sell.

As for Beta testing, don't forget although the Receivers might have been in use for Dish for many years, Bell write their own Software and that can create problems, it certainly has in the past.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
Bell does not care about satellite TV anymore. They lost money on it for years and went into cost cutting mode a number of years ago. Part of the problem is that Canada does not have a large enough population to support 2 satellite TV providers. The US has 10 times the population of Canada and all but 2 went out of business. Canadians are stuck with 2 substandard satellite TV providers instead of one good one.

Bell is putting all their investment money into developing fibre IP services and IPTV. That's the future of TV in Canada. That sucks for people without fibre or cable access because they must rely on satellite. The only hope is for low orbit satellite IP to become available in Canada. US companies are working on deploying low orbit satellites for high speed internet access to rural regions. That might extend to IPTV and OTT. Maybe coverage will spill over into Canada the same way satellite radio has. I don't see why it wouldn't extend to at least southern regions of Canada. Under CRTC regulations, it would require a Canadian company to partner with a US company in order to provide service to Canadians.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
That's fine for people who have FTTN or FTTH. A lot of people in major cities don't and it's almost non-existent in rural areas. Meanwhile, Bell salespeople around here sell "Fibe" door to door but customers end up with satellite and 5Mb DSL because there is no fibre nearby. Some of their claims are fraudulent.

141 - 152 of 152 Posts