Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

121 - 140 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well I pre ordered two H3's & 5 Joeys with the new dish & LNB, and it ships in the 28th.
Nice! I'm psyched that it's finally available. :D

I'm going to wait for the moment. The new voice remote hasn't been released yet (still a few months away), and I'm also waiting to see if Dish will keep their word and update the original H2K with the new Carbon UI. Apparently, you can manually download the new Carbon UI if you have a HwS, by entering a secret key combination on the remote, but the combo doesn't work for the original Hopper model... at least right now anyways.

Vivek did say the new UI was coming to the Hopper "family", so we'll see if that means the H2K will get it.

My main reasons for getting the Hopper 3 are the Carbon UI and the Voice Remote. If the Carbon UI is released for the H2K, then I may just keep what I have for the moment, instead of spending a couple hundred on a new LNB, node device, and the Hopper 3 itself. Otherwise, if the H2K doesn't get the new UI, then I'll probably buy a H3 later in the year.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Davage said:
The 2015 4th Quarter results were released today. Their number of TV subscribers has gone from 2,700,710 to 2,738,496. The number of IPTV subscribers has gone from 1,108,699 to 1,182,791. It is some simple math to figure out that their satellite tv subscribers have gone from 1,592,011 to 1,555,705 - That's a loss of 36,306 satellite subscribers. They are still losing 12,100 "satellite" subscribers each month.

I don't see BCE spending the money to acquire the Hopper and Joey technology from EchoStar when they are obviously transitioning many subscribers from satellite over to FIBE.
On the other hand, if your equipment hasn't had any significant change in functionality in 10 years, that's not exactly the path to gaining or retaining customers.

I just don't get Bell's strategy here. Satellite broadcasting is obviously very capital intensive, so it makes sense to have as many subscribers as possible to share the fixed costs. Better receivers are already developed and available, there's almost no cost to Bell to adopt them, why are they not doing it? What's the downside to bringing Hopper up here, and maybe even charging an extra $50 for it?

On the other hand if they're not planning to re-invest in the business, how are they going to exit it? Eventually they'll be below the break-even point in subscribers, so do they just shut it down completely or continue losing more and more money? If they were looking to sell the business (which I think will eventually happen), then it make sense to do it before it deteriorates any further, or at least try to turn it around a bit to get a higher price.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
On the other hand, if your equipment hasn't had any significant change in functionality in 10 years, that's not exactly the path to gaining or retaining customers.
Or like Bell's it has had less functions like lack of PIP and swap features on dual tuners.

·
Registered
29 Posts
"On the other hand, if your equipment hasn't had any significant change in functionality in 10 years, that's not exactly the path to gaining or retaining customers."

Thats very true, but, at least the satellite receivers work as they should. We have a couple 9242s and they have been as solid as rock. Look at Rogers current situation as they try to replace Cisco's user interface with Espial's version. Customers are absolutely peeved, to put it politely and walking if not running away from Rogers because of it. So, as simple as it may seen, ease of use of the interface and reliability of the receiver operations are key concern to customers. Don't make it fancy, just make it work, and work correctly all the time.

At some point Bell would just shut down the satellite division and lease out their satellite transponders and walk away from their existing satellite customers. I think there are one or two satellites in orbit now that are leased to US companies. If that were to happen, it would leave a good number of people who live beyond Bell's Fibe footprint with very little choice for TV service.

·
Registered
58 Posts
DataLink said:
Thats very true, but, at least the satellite receivers work as they should. We have a couple 9242s and they have been as solid as rock. Look at Rogers current situation as they try to replace Cisco's user interface with Espial's version. Customers are absolutely peeved, to put it politely and walking if not running away from Rogers because of it. So, as simple as it may seen, ease of use of the interface and reliability of the receiver operations are key concern to customers. Don't make it fancy, just make it work, and work correctly all the time.

At some point Bell would just shut down the satellite division and lease out their satellite transponders and walk away from their existing satellite customers. I think there are one or two satellites in orbit now that are leased to US companies. If that were to happen, it would leave a good number of people who live beyond Bell's Fibe footprint with very little choice for TV service.
Point taken about reliability, although I didn't know Rogers was having those issues. And I will say that I like Bell's program guide and user interface far, far better than Rogers or Shaw.

I think they leased the last bird they launched to DISH, which was pretty much a signal that they weren't interested in investing in or expanding their services any further. I can't see them just shutting it down though; a million customers is still a lot. More likely some smaller telco picks them up to gain an instant national presence, kinda like Shaw and Starchoice.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
I dought that Bell will get the Hopper & Joey, but lets says for a moment Bell did get the latest Hopper & Joey and all the features Dish is offering. How many Shaw Direct & cable & IPTV subs would switch to Bell?

Remember the receiver is only part of the "package"

You've got:
Price
PQ
Channel selection
Reliability(require sat signal)
Able to receive signal

I'll bet some might but not as many as you might think.

Like those that 'hate' Bell?Would those that have:

Those that have Shaw Direct?
Those that have Rogers or some other cable company?Those that have IPTV?

If you "Truly" hate Bell you won't switch even if they get the Hopper & Joey.

I presently have an older version of the Hopper & Joey with Dish Network, won't be upgrading, won't even switch back to BTV even if they got the latest Hopper & Joey, happy with Bell Fibe.

Also remember BTV is pro know the Dish Fade during Rain Or Snow Storms.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I would switch over from Bell fibe to Bell satellite Hopper and Joey for two reasons.

Bell satellite customers are not being forced to have Bell's Internet and home phone which translates to lower monthly bill.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I am happy with my current Bell Satellite receivers. I've had them for quite a while now so they are all paid off now. I would only get the Hooper and Joey if they were being offered and lets say one of my receivers broke down and I have no more warranty and really needed to replace it and I had extra money so I could afford it, then yes I might consider it, but for now, I will enjoy my current receivers which are all paid off now and working just fine.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Well all I can say is that Bell promised at a "Roadshow" meeting that the Hopper and Joey were coming and coming soon, that was sadly about 3 years ago. All the attendant Technicians were excited to think that they would be installing these in the not too distant future.

Now, there is still no sign of them being introduced, not a mention of them at all.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Allan B can correct any errors I make in this post.

I have installed two Hopper & Joey systems for US customers residing in the GTA. In order for the system to work, a Solo Node or a Duo Node must be installed, along with a DPP LNB.

The basic H & J system is a Whole Home PVR for your home; the Hopper records everything from up to 6 receivers (1 Hopper + 3 Joeys or 2 Hoppers + 4 Joeys). The Hopper is a Triple tuner as well, recording up to 3 shows at one time.

The basic Bell Dual Tuner PVR is a Dual Tuner.

Solo Node - up to 4 receivers (Hopper + up to 3 Joeys)

Duo Node - up to 6 receivers (2 Hoppers + up to 4 Joeys)

From what I've seen, if anyone is using a DPP44 switch on their Bell system, it would have to be replaced with a Solo or Duo Node.

No big deal, except, I don't think any of the current Bell receivers would work using a H & J system.

I believe that a current Bell TV satellite customer changing over to a H & J system would require brand new receivers, unless Bell comes up with software to permit the 6131, 6141 and 6400 receivers to act as Joeys.

Would Bell cover that cost, or would they charge for the new receivers?

Would Bell cover the installer's fee? The installer would have to change the dish over to DPP equipment, and replace any switches with a Solo Node or Duo Node. The installer may also have to install Hopper Internet Connectors, Ethernet cable, and possibly wireless adapters.

Certainly a much more labour intensive installation than what is currently done.

If Bell offered Free Installation for a H & J system, I'm sure they would insist on customers signing up for three year agreements to cover these costs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
At 8PM last night my doorbell rang. It was a fellow wearing a Bell jacket telling me that he can save me money on my tv services. He said 'You've got Bell satellite TV, and I can save you some money".

My Bell dish is on the rear of my house, and is out of view to anybody except those in the houses behind me - that tells me that he really was a Bell rep.

They are actively trying to get people to switch to Fibe TV in our area. The suggestion earlier in this thread that Bell are going to try convert as many people to Fibe as possible, then sell off the satellite division actually makes sense. If they are actively converting people to Fibe, there really will be no incentive to offer Hopper and Joey here.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
They did the same at my cottage when they installed the fiber down road last summer. They mainly went to the full time homes and not the cottagers. It was a good deal since it was the first internet to be available other than dialup, satellite or microwave.

·
Registered
22 Posts
@ 46FD04 The DPP44 switch is compatible with both solo & duo nodes. Recommended power line only to port 1. Nodes run off ports 2,3 and if rqd for a Super Joey.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The Hopper Go

Not sure of the technology the Hopper 3 uses to record up to 16 channels, but some fta units have similar abilities in they record everything in the stream on a particular transponder, meaning a 4 tuner card can record even more than 16 channels depending upon definition of the channels being broadcast.

The Hopper Go
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Hopper Go, that hopefully could be implemented by Bell. The Hopper Go is basically a hard drive with it's own wifi hub, meaning no Internet connection required, all your content up to 100 hours is transferred to it, and up to 5 devices can stream content free of any usage fees, and the cost was going to be $99. This device alone would make all Bells current PVR'S -whole home devices on previously recorded content. I hope this technology is compatible.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Bell won't introduce anything to make anyone switch to Bell TV till they're done getting as many people to switch to Bell Fibe/FibreOP tv from whatever they're on now. THEN once they're conversion numbers begin to slip they'll roll features on Bell TV and people will switch back.

I'd say we're 4-5 years from seeing any new fun toys on Bell TV.

Furthermore, in order for Bell TV to offer new hardware, Dish needs to have enough refurb equipment to offload to Bell to fill their stocks at a reasonably discounted price (as they've done in the past with their receivers). I'd wager Dish doesn't have a large enough stock of new hardware to move to Bell yet.

ON top of all that, Bell would need to buy the software to support all this hardware, which if they're actively shifting all new general Bell subs to Fibre, why would they bother adding features to Satellite.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Up & running and it's totally amazing. I hooked up the OTA dongle for a 17th tuner. I'd have to say it's the best DVR in North America. So far I have no regrets about getting this. Also I don't think Bell has to wait for Dish to have enough old equipment in refurb for Bell to buy as I think they buy all their equipment directly from Echostar as the equipment manufacturer and not from Dish at all.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Bell Fibe is only available in parts of Ontario and East. I don't see Bell Sat giving up their customers in Manitoba thru B.C. and the territories. It appears that Fibe is only going into major centers, so much of Ontario will never have it either. If you live outside of a major centre in Ontario, satellite is the only option for TV.

·
Registered
114 Posts
For what it's worth, they are going to lose me out here in Vancouver in the not to distant future unless something changes. Their generally higher equipment and programming prices and the dearth of HD content has almost pushed me to my limit. As soon as Telus gets their Fiber Network upgraded I'm going to make the investment and switch. I suspect that's going to happen sometime before the end of 2017.

121 - 140 of 152 Posts