Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
What I'm really interested in, is if the new Voice Remote will work with the current Hopper models, and also if it requires an internet connection.

This is what happens when you have actual competition in the satellite pay-tv industry -- the consumers benefit from it, unlike in Canada. Unfortunately, it's been almost 4 years since the original Hopper was released, and if Bell wanted to come out with a whole-home satellite DVR with more than 2 tuners, then I'm sure they would've done so by now. The only announcements we keep hearing from Bell are about their Fibe service.

And even if Bell did come out with something like the Hopper, let's face it, we'd still be missing out on getting certain U.S. channels, and we'd still have to deal with the substitution nonsense, which is why I've already given up on Bell/Shaw's satellite R&D efforts entirely.

Props to Dish for leading the market with innovations like this. :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Less than 2 weeks to go! :D

The Hopper 3 and 4K Joey will both be released on Thursday January 28th, and the updated Carbon UI for the H2K and HWS are set to roll out shortly thereafter. I'm psyched!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well I pre ordered two H3's & 5 Joeys with the new dish & LNB, and it ships in the 28th. I guess we are going to give it a go. I'll activate one H3 now and the other at a later date since its been confirmed that 2 H3's will in fact be allowed on one account. I won't be at the Minot home when it arrives but will be there the week of the family day holiday Monday.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Well the New Hopper & Joey seem to be great, here's the ussue? For Bell to sell it Canada they need to buy it from Echostar which in turn is in the US, hence with our Canadian dollar being so low the cost for Bell to purchase goes uo.

Now grant you I'm not sure hiow much Bell pays Echostar for their receivers to be used in Canada, but I'm assuming its costly.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm not holding my breath for any new equipment from Bell Satellite any time soon. They are really pushing the FIBE service and are so happy with how many new FIBE subscribers they have got.

The 2015 4th Quarter results were released today. Their number of TV subscribers has gone from 2,700,710 to 2,738,496. The number of IPTV subscribers has gone from 1,108,699 to 1,182,791. It is some simple math to figure out that their satellite tv subscribers have gone from 1,592,011 to 1,555,705 - That's a loss of 36,306 satellite subscribers. They are still losing 12,100 "satellite" subscribers each month.

I don't see BCE spending the money to acquire the Hopper and Joey technology from EchoStar when they are obviously transitioning many subscribers from satellite over to FIBE.

I've always found it strange that I was receiving sales calls from Bell FIBE trying to sell me tv service when I already had Bell Satellite. It has been at least 8 month since I've received one of those calls though.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
That's where I think Bell is backwards. Fibe is limited to what one province? Satellite is nation wide that should be there main focus unless they plan on going national with Fibe. Regardless they should phaseout there old equipment as its horribly outdated. Even the H1 would be better then any current receiver they have.

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
Bell's IPTV footprint covers all the eastern provinces after the acquisition of Bell Aliant.

Bell also cites one of their western IPTV competitors (Telus) for loss of satellite customers. Telus became a wholesaler of Bell satellite in the early days of IPTV and is now transitioning some of those customers to Telus Optik TV as the footprint, speed and features expand.

Almost all cable TV and satellite companies are losing customers to IPTV.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Fibe will reach other Provinces in the future.Bell is putting there Energy towards Fibe.If you have Bell Satellite they will offer you Bell Fibe with no Installation costs and discount promotions the same way they would if you were say with a cable Company.Motorola makes the Fibe Receivers which are probably less costly then Echostar Receivers.Sometimes I think Bell will slim down there Satellite division in a couple of years and then possibly sell it off.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
My nieghbour got fibe. From the limited experience I have seen, I don't want it. The PVR would not skip commercials. The skip ahead function was not available for this show or something.

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
@jdevlin it sounds like your neighbour was using the RESTART feature of Fibe which allows people to tune in to live programs in progress and restart the program from the beginning. They can also view programs that have broadcast up to 30 hours in the past. If you use the RESTART feature, you can't skip commercials, just like On-Demand. Fibe users can skip commercials on recorded programs or pause and skip on live programming as long as they don't go back before they tuned into the channel. Here is a Fibe thread that discusses the subject:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/188-bell-fibe-tv/237521-fibe-stb-firmware-update-starting-may-4-version-2-5-11032-a-2.html#post2507689

Bell's web site: Bell Fibe TV service and programming

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
That is what it was. We restarted a program, but could not figure out how get it back to live after that either. Still should have been able to skip since the program would be buffered.

OH well not for this forum and not for me. I have satellite.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I too believe that their satellite offering is better in terms of the hardware potential and ease of use. I've got a feeling that for the next 4-5 years we'll see them marketing the crap out of Fibre TV and then in about 5 years they'll kill SD entirely on Bell Sat and satellite will be the first and only all HD provider with every available HD channel in Canada on Bell TV.

Competitive prices, all sports packages, most on demand, hopper and joey, best picture quality all at a price lower than fibreop, which in 5 years will have seen multiple price increases thereby driving the cost per month for fiber up substantially. Satellite will be marketed as "the best of the best" with an Apple-esque price attached to it.

They'll market the crap out of that and a lot will switch back and netting them lots of "Activation fees" and income on the hardware rentals or purchases.

Just a prediction.

101 - 120 of 152 Posts