Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
True, the new box from Rogers is better but until it came out they were losing lots of customers to Fibe. So competition is good.

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
If Bell had Hopper/Joey, I would have considered them during a switch this year. They don't, so it was an easy choice to go with the Whole Home provider. I like Dish/Bell equipment better but if Bell is not offering competitive products then they aren't getting my business.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Dish-style Hopper PVR

Is there any word on whether or not Bell will be offering a PVR similar to the Hopper DVR offered by Dish TV in the US?
One of the more intriguing features is the ability to Undelete programs you have deleted..basically a "recycle bin".
I don't know why other PVR's (other than TIVO) have not offered this feature until now.
Every major OS for computers includes the capability.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I find it shocking the Bell seems to have ZERO interest in upgrading their system. All you hear is fibe fibe fibe, but the reality is that 50%+ of Canadians will never have access to fibe. So why not upgrade satellite and make the hopper + joey available to Canadians. It's brutal.

I made a facebook post the other week on the bell site about new hopper recievers and they replied "our receivers can record 2 and watch one, what more do you want..." how about more recording and and option of Joey???

Seriously they are a bunch of muppets.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I completely agree with everyone. The problem is that the competition (Shaw Direct) isn't much more advanced in terms of their product offering and so Bell is stagnate and probably happy with the status quo in terms of their satellite product. After looking at what Dishnet and Direct TV offers South of the border, it made me realize that Bell's satellite receivers are horribly stuck in the 90's. As of 2015, we still have no whole home PVR, as a 6400 receiver owner, I can't get VOD and there is no talk (in public) that Bell is looking at upgrading their receivers to the Hopper and Joey, which is really sad. I hope one day, a Bell Exec will wake up and realize that their national product (satellite) needs a little TLC.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I really don't foresee Bell spending much money on upgrading their satellite service. According to the 3rd quarter report, they lost 41,994 satellite subscribers in that quarter alone. The satellite market is shrinking, so there is no incentive to put any more money into it to introduce products like Hopper and Joey.

EDIT : I did some math by looking at the shareholder report in detail. Bell's shareholder report combines satellite and fibe subscribers, but then breaks out the fibe numbers separately. Based on what I'm seeing, Bell SATELLITE tv had 1,742,935 subscribers at the end of the 3rd quarter in 2014, and only 1,592,011 at the end of the 3rd quarter in 2015. That's a reduction in subscriber count by 150,924. They're dropping satellite subscribers in increasing numbers.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
But out that 41,994, how many switch to Bell Fibe or some other provider or just dropped TV all together?

I've got the Hopper & Joey with my Dish service, its great, but wouldn't say it's out of this world.

Sat in most parts is more or less "finished" at least in citiers. It'll be more for rural areas.

One issue with at least with Bell is bandwidth. But this is there own fault. They had a third sat slot but least this to Dish Network, in doing so the cut their bandwidth down so no one to blame but themselves for this.. The second option is they could convert all SD channels to MPEG 4 like their HD channels. Dish Network did this for all their subs SD & HD in their East Coast Arc Sats.

I don't see Bell investing much in Sat. If they don't sell it off, the only investment I see is in their next Nimiq sat.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've got the Hopper & Joey with my Dish service, its great, but wouldn't say it's out of this world.

One issue with at least with Bell is bandwidth. But this is there own fault. They had a third sat slot but least this to Dish Network, in doing so the cut their bandwidth down so no one to blame but themselves for this.. The second option is they could convert all SD channels to MPEG 4 like their HD channels. Dish Network did this for all their subs SD & HD in their East Coast Arc Sats.

I don't see Bell investing much in Sat. If they don't sell it off, the only investment I see is in their next Nimiq sat.
I just recently got a Hopper and Dish service as well, alongside my Bell service, to have access to both Canadian networks and the US channels. While it does have the occasional glitch when I try to record a program and it doesn't record it for some odd reason (maybe the signal is cutting out during bad weather and stopping the recording?), it's still far superior to what Bell and Shaw Direct have, both in terms of receiver technology and the IPG.

Look, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Bell cares more about Fibe than Satellite, and since Shaw is actually worse than Bell when it comes to HD channels and receiver technology, there's no incentive for Bell to invest and compete against them. Essentially, the mentality of the Bell executives is like this: "Our 9400 DVR is superior to the only other satellite DVR, the Shaw Direct 630. Therefore, since we already have the 'best satellite DVR in Canada', there's no need for us to come out with a better one." The sad part is, that statement is true. It is the best satellite DVR in Canada, which doesn't say much about satellite DVR technology over here.

The only way Bell will release a new satellite receiver, possibly a whole-home one, is if Shaw Direct releases a better one first. Then, and only then, will Bell step in and do something, because at that point, Bell will be at a competitive disadvantage against Shaw.

It actually makes me wonder if AT&T will take the same route as Bell is doing, investing more into their fiber network than their satellite, especially since they just bought out DirecTV.

On the plus side, at least Dish is still innovating. 4K Hopper and Joey as an example. I'm also still hyped on the release of the Carbon UI and the Voice Remote though. Can't wait till it comes out so I can finally use it! Are you also hyped for it MCIBUS? :grin

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
AT&T will be doing the opposite and get out of the TV business on their side. They want to shift their customers over to Satellite.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wasn't aware of this "New feature"coming to the Hopper & joey. Sound great, as long as I don't have to upgrade my receiver or get charged for it like I do for my PVR fee & other stupid fees with Dish.
Dish has confirmed it's coming to all Hopper and Hopper w/ Sling receivers. No upgrade needed and no additional charges.

The new carbon UI guide actually looks very similar to the Shaw Direct guide, except it shows 2.5 hours of programming and 9 channels at a time, as opposed to Shaw's 1.5 hours and 6 channels.

If Bell's satellite TV guide was updated to look like the Dish guide, it would be 10x better than it is.

Here's a side-by-side comparison between Shaw Direct's guide and Dish's new upcoming guide, in case you're interested:

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
Cool!! I wish Fibe TV would go that route? The one feature I miss on the remote is the addressable address(Fibe)?With BTV you can have two receivers on the same TV(PIP)and they won't interfere with each other, with Fibe you can't on the same tv.

·
Registered
819 Posts
That feature MCIBUS, is the most useful ever with Bell TV. You can actually have 16 receivers, all with an individual address.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Very nice, available early 2016. Capable of 4 1080 simultaneous pictures on a 4k tv (picture in picture) for the sports enthusiasts!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Exactly the product will be available to the consumer with in what 6 weeks? Bell should be on the phone to Echostar with a massive pre order.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Dish Network CES 2016

I can't believe they announced a new Hopper with 16 built-in tuners. Also compatible with 4K TV, has USB 3.0 ports, same 2 TB HDD as in the current Hopper and Hopper with Sling models, and it has the fastest processor of any DVR currently in the market, beating out AT&T's latest Genie model and even the latest TIVO model. I think I also read something about Dish partnering with Sony to release 4K content.

Also can't believe it's just a few weeks away from being released! :D

TAKE THAT Rogers and Bell. Vivek even said that with the 16 tuners, he challenges anyone to get recording conflicts.

81 - 100 of 152 Posts