Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Bell are pushing Fibe, so there will be very little 'new' in the Satellite world until they realize that not everyone can get Fibe......

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bell's cash is going towards Fibe because it is the most bang for it's buck, they can open a new area in the GTA and get thousands of new subs vs spending money on a new receiver for sat that will bring very few new subs. Telus is driving Bell's sales in the west and Fibe in the east. There is a new PVR coming but due to NDA's very little is known about it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
But the upside to fibe is much larger. Bell has 2 million subs give or take on sat, and Telus is doing great adding new subs in the west, the real damage will be done in all the high rises in TO and other major centers, hundreds of thousands of new subs to be signed up.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Review of Hopper & Joey

For those who are interested there is a very favourable review of Dish's Hopper and Joey combo. in the latest issue of Sound+Vision magazine. I have to admit that I'm now intrigued with this product where before I couldn't see the point to it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Pretty Neat Idea.

Personally, I see this as a great purchase, if someone is working shift work, and can't be home to hit record for 4 stations, it would be handy to have ABC NBC CBS and FOX all recording your favorite shows, although, if it is in HD and you're recording like all of primetime, wouldn't that take up a lot of memory on the DVRs?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
According to a faq I found, the 2TB drive can hold up to 500 hours of HD, and 1000 hours of SD. I thought it would have been more like 1000 hours of HD using MPEG4 and a 2TB drive, but I guess my estimates were wrong.

You can also add an external 2TB drive, so that would give you up to 1000 hours of HD recording. You can come home from work and watch TV for a month!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think people here are dreaming if they think Bell will get the Hopper & Joey.
For one I think Dish wants to keep these receivers for themselves for now and to think that Bell, doesn't even have the 722k available after it's been out with Dish for a number of years.
and is probably Dish's most successful dual tuner HD receiver to date.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It would be a lot better if Bell TV utilized Dish's receivers. Bell TV has the 211K and I believe everything else is their own stuff, IT would make a lot more sense to have Dish's receivers because then Bell wouldn't have to pay for Echostar to make their own. I recall when I first had Expressvu/Dish Network, Nothing said Bell on it, all dish. Too bad it can't be like that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Any update on this? 1 PVR feeding all the other receivers is going to be a make or break for me once FibeTV is available in my area. Would prefer to stick with Sat...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
With the 6400 and 9400 both released just recently, I predict it being a few years before Bell gets anything close to the Hopper and Joey. The only way I see it happening sooner than that is if the 9400 and 6400 already have the required hardware built into the receivers and can activate it with a software update down the road... which I think is unlikely.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Again it seems people are in La La land when it comes to Bell, where simplicity seems to be the rule, looks like Bell isn't really too interested in any extravagant plans with their Satellite TV department, since I'm on the West Coast I know nothing about Bell Fibe and if it's any better than Satellite as far as equipment is concerned. Seems lately Bell is really trying to get the Satellite TV dept into real simple mode where there are only 3 packages to choose from a only 2 receivers to choose from all of them HD capable. So adding a Hopper & Joey system into the mix is NOT simple and would just baffle the minds of those working the support centres in India & the Philippines, if Bell customers were to call in with issues on their "Hopper & Joey" setup.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You are right, Bell has no plans to spend much money on the Sat side of the TV business, all investment is going into the fibe side

·
Registered
451 Posts
Bell Hopper?

Hey,

I was checking out DishNet's Hopper receivers available in the US and I am impressed with the technology. I'm wondering if anyone here has any insider scoop whether Bell will be offering this technology here in Canada since Bell uses DishNet's receivers.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Most likely it will never happen as Bell does not really follow dish network with their latest technology. Probably not interested in extra investment in satellite side of business. Most of Bell's latest investment is towards fibe TV which has similar options to dish network.

41 - 60 of 152 Posts