Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Do you work with Bell? As I understand it FIBE = telus Optik. If what you say is true and you have corporate knowledge of this it sure seems like the big telecoms are in a conspiracy to keep canadian consumers over paying for throttled service. Why would I be surprised? They are the same folks who keep our cell phone bills the highest in the world. Very suspicious.

Wouldn't you love a new player to pop up?
Richard Branson? Are you listening?
:)

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Bell has a new satellite going up shortly and they're in the process of upgrading all non MPEG4 HD receivers FREE to affected customers, both very expensive ventures. To say they're not investing anything in satellite simply isn't true. I hope they offer a new PVR eventually but I don't think it will be until after this other business is finished.

-Mike

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
The new Nimiq 6 bird was ordered years ago, probably before FIBE TV even existed, they don't just pop down to the Sat Store and get one off the shelf.

Once ordered, they have to go through with it. Ask yourself, what is Nimiq 5 doing right now.? Oh it is being used by Dishnetwork, it is NOT being used for Canadian Customers at all.

I did say NEW investment, I consider the MPEG4 swap an old one, as it started some time ago, last October I believe.

It is my opinion, that you will see little in infrastructure spending by Bell TV, on Stacked System Installations in Apartments, as they will try to direct Customers to FIBE TV.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It is my opinion, that you will see little in infrastructure spending by Bell TV, on Stacked System Installations in Apartments, as they will try to direct Customers to FIBE TV.
I would tend to agree with this.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I tend to agree with this too. Bell has fallen behind here in Quebec to Videotron. They have introduced the a la carte option and the next step would be to attack Videotron with their Fibe TV.

Personally I prefer Sat over Fibe and hope they do invest in it.

Having said that, Fibe is only available in Ontario and Quebec. I am close to downtown Montreal and Fibe is still not available in my area. If Bell invests only on Fibe as it is rolling it out than they will lose potential customers. Customers who will not have any other option than to go with Videotron if the Satellite option is not competitive and Fibe yet not available in their area.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
exactly Sat was here long before Fibe was even thought of, so Bell should stay on the Sat end of things and consider Fibe a "secondary" venture with the main focus being Sat. Back to the Hopper/Joey, I had a chance to play around with one last weekend back home. It was cool. I would very much like Bell to look into this.

·
Registered
68 Posts
and why all of our chatter? Are we all just speculating? I was hoping to hear from a Bell insider.

And YES I am suggesting they nip down to the EchoStar store and acquire the Hopper-Joey systems off their pre-existing shelf.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Bell had the Dish versions of the 3200 & 5200 installed at Wynford Drive about 6 or 7 months before we were told they were going to release it in the Bell System. Then it took another 6 or 7 months for it to be confirmed and then another 6 or 7 for it to appear.

So, total lead time, 18 to 21 months.

I am 100% confident, there is NO Hopper or Joey, in Wynford Drive.

You do the math......

·
Registered
68 Posts
OK, so THAT sounds like a semi-informed opinion. Does the Hopper use a different dish style? Would it be visible if Bell was testing?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Visible.? There are dozens of Dish's on the roof of that building, another couple would not be noticed.....

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If by "real insider" you mean someone at Bell HQ, you're going to be waiting a long time for that lol.

Pinza knows what he's talking about (most of the time :p).

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
so with the latest Hopper software update that has been rolling out over the last day or so, the user now has 500hrs of HD record time not to mention the use of an EHD if needed+ a bunch of apps such as Pandora & Facebook ect,ect, I think this unit would be very cool to see on Bell sooner rather then later;)

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
I dought you'll se this anytime son on BTV.

If BTV was smart(which it appears their not) would launch this receiver with all the features Dish has(the ones that are applicable here) not only would they have one of the best PVR on the market, but woyuld force their competors to step up and offer their sub better PVRs themself other wise you may see a transition to BTV.

I'm very temped to puchase one from where I bought my Dish from. He has no problem getting one but at $1,000CAN its some what costly?

But like some others here have stated IPTV is the future of TV at least in the cities.And though BTV is still commited to providing SAT service, I se them going IPTV mainly in the cities and rural being Sat with MPEG4 eventuially across the board be it HD,Ethnic services,PPV,SD, because thats trhe way Dish has it fior its eastern subs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hoppper? anyone? buelller?

i read on line that dish network has released a product called a hopper which is something like a gateway, suggesting no need of multiple stb in a home just one. as bell and dish are both echostar, anyone know?

thanks

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Suggest more reading, it is a system called the Hopper & Joey, with the Hopper being the main unit and the Joey's being the receivers in other locations in the home.

Been discussed many times before, not much chance of seeing this with Bell for quite some time, if ever.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Any more news on this? I used the Hopper at a friends house across the border and damn is it cool. Totally want to get a dish network subscription now ...

21 - 40 of 152 Posts