Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wifi network that is b and g.... every peripheral I have is g (desktop, laptop, cellphone, etc).

If I wanted to get a new Xbox 360 it is only n.

I am looking for advice on what to do.

If I get an new n wifi home network then my cellphone, computer and laptop won't work. correct? is there a way to get around this?

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is great. I didnt realize they can be backward compatible.

if I pick up that router and if I use my old router (DLink DI 524) - can I run the two routers simultaneously in my house to boost the signal somehow for b and g? (while n will arise from the new router?)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I don't understand why are you getting a new router? Is your current network too slow?

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
XBox 360 slim is n only. .. so I need a new router for 'n' compatible

besides I could use an n router to increase the signal throughout the house

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
You don't need a new router to use the Xbox 360. You only need a new router if you want the Xbox 360 to work at Wireless N speeds which may or may not be important to you.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
an N router will run devices at both N and G (and most likely B)
A G router will run devices at G and B.

An N device on a G router will never achieve N speeds, and a G device on an N router will also never achieve N speeds.

Your devices will work at the lowest common denominator, i.e. G (limited by the router).

As Hugh said, you do not need a new router, unless you want to run the xbox at 300mbps vs 54mbps.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Also another thing to consider is your internet connection... if you only have a 5Mbps connection, and your wireless is 54Mbps... you are never even going to use the full potential of that wireless connection... N is really only going to make a difference between the devices inside your networking allowing them to connect to each other quicker, but you will still be bogged down by the slowest thing which is usually your internet connection.

Unless you have a 20Mbps+ connection, its probably not worth upgrading to N yet if you already have a router.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
FYI: I used to use a g/b router and switched to an "n" router.

For my situation it was a gawdsend...as it made a huge difference in connectivety on different floors.

Not sure really whether it provided any speed boost...but the signal has been perfect everywhere since the upgrade...so you still may want to make a switch...if that is an issue.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Which N router if I may ask? I'm getting really annoyed with the signal dropouts between my WRT54GL and Airport Express located about 30 feet away.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Sorry...forgot to check back on this thread...

I use the D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router, (can be had for just under $100, if you look around)...and well worth the money...and it's fully backward compatible with "G and B" devices.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Thanks. I think I need to go with a dual-band router to avoid the interference on the 2.4GHz band.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Dual band is the way to go, or you can use both a 2.4 GHz G router and a 5 GHz N access point to keep the G and N devices separated, which is what I do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts