Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all --

I am finally getting around to finishing my basement. The house is 5 years old and contains an unfinished basement.

I, of course, wanted to build a home theatre into. Please excuse the rookie question. I am totally new to this whole idea.

A couple questions/advice needed.

#1) What kind of wiring/electrical work should/must be done before drywalling? (ie Cable, eletrical, ethernet, etc)

#2) Any special considerations to be taken for "sound quality"? (insulation of drywall, etc) I don't even know if that makes sense.

#3) Any special considerations for flooring?

Take a look at the sketch of my basement.

I am not sure which way I should build it. Take a look at both proposal and photos.

Any help is MUCH MUCH appreciated (or direct me to an FAQ!)

Thanks,

Robert

PS - Not sure if I posted these photos correctly:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/picture.php?albumid=662&pictureid=3371

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/picture.php?albumid=662&pictureid=3375

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/picture.php?albumid=662&pictureid=3374

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/picture.php?albumid=662&pictureid=3373

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/picture.php?albumid=662&pictureid=3372

or please look in the community link!!!!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
For you wiring question What kind of "theater" are you after? More a family room with a large tv?
What kind of TV are you planning around? ie plasma/lcd or front projection?
Will the components be part of a wall unit or perhaps off to the side in a electrical "closet" for a cleaner look.
As this plays a role in what and how you run the wiring

Those telepost sure do cause a bit of issue with layout don't they? What is the BLUE post in your sketch? is that existing? From the picture it looks like the post is more towards the center of the sliding door.

From looking at the pictures I would think the red layout works best as you can get the seating farther from the screen. You will have to be creative with window coverings but seeing as the windows and door are north facing you should not have too much excess light coming in at least.

This really wont be too hard to plan and execute as it looks like it is indeed a large single joint use room, you defiantly need to make a scaled drawing thou to get a much better feel for the room and the actual layout for wiring and seating. I can see you will need a few bulk heads too that could come into play for layout

For your sound quality question, you look pretty good for insulation on the walls already other that I would highly suggest using sound proofing insulation in the ceilings thruout the basement to help keep the noise down there and not thru the whole house.

Floor in totally up to you, hard floors cause the sound to echo more but really for a family type room just choose a flooring that works best for YOUR family! I am a huge cork fan, and have it over my entire main floor and will be doing my basement in cork flooring as its very durable, warm, sustainable product and looks great!

PS one word of warning, by being on this forum you are HIGHLY likley to end up over budget as well all love helping other people spend their money. LOL Enjoy the process and its gonna be a great addition for family.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
rgomes, I highly recommend reading a lot of the threads regarding other members home theatre build. Inside these threads you will find tons of recommendations and good advice from folks that have gone before you.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
Take a look at the sketch of my basement.

I am not sure which way I should build it. Take a look at both proposal and photos.
Layout #1 looks too confining: 10' from sofa to TV, less than 11' betwee post and wall. (Once the pillar is boxed in and the drywall's up, it'll be even tighter.)

Layout #2 looks better, especially if you slide the sofa back a bit, away from the post, which "opens up" the seating area. Another possibility is to move layout #2 "up" (westward) so that the back of the sofa faces the sliding door. With the sofa 6-8' in from the door (plenty of clearance), you're 11-13' away from the TV, and the room seems generally more open "upward" of that post.

With layouts #2 and #3, the issue of light may be more significant than with layout #1, but since your door and windows face North, you should be able address the issue easily enough with some good blinds or drapes.

Any special considerations for flooring?
In our basement, we put down dimpled subfloor, covered by two layers of 1/2" plywood, over which we had high-grade laminate flooring installed. (A buddy of mine did dimpled subfloor covered by 1" styrofoam covered by 1/2" plywood covered by carpet.) Lots of options, including just underlay + carpet straight onto the concrete.

Any special considerations to be taken for "sound quality"? (insulation of drywall, etc) I don't even know if that makes sense.
Roxul Safe 'n' Sound in-ceiling and between partition walls (if applicable). For exterior walls, regular R20 insulation.

What kind of wiring/electrical work should/must be done before drywalling? (ie Cable, eletrical, ethernet, etc)
Anything and everything you can think of...unless you want to start poking holes after the fact. :p (Don't forget speaker and telephone wiring.)

Good luck with the reno! :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi!

Sorry if I wasn't specific enough with the technical aspects!

I was looking at a 50-60 inch Plasma with 5.1 setup. Don't know a thing about receiver brands, speakers, etc. Open to anything at this point.

I went down to BBR yesterday and my head was spinning when I left.

I suppose I am not trying to build a home theatre per se because the entertainment area will not be enclosed fully by walls. The basement will be more of an open concept.

I'd like to have the Plasma mounted on the wall with a floating shelf below it and shelves to the left and right of it to put all of my components enclosed within.

Take a look at these sample floor plans that I did on an online floor planner website:

http://pl.an/qm5hyu

http://pl.an/n792e4

These should open up. You can even click the 3D up top to give you more perspective. Everything is more or less to scale.

Any feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, those new floorplans are considerably different from the earlier rough draft! ;) Still, I think layout #2 remains the best option.
Basement Plan #1 or #2? I think I changed them from blue and red.

I am leaning more and more to #1 because with #2, it gets in the way of traffic to and from the sliding door.

From a wiring point of view -- what am I looking? How many plugs? etc What kind? Do they have to be a certain specification?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
rgomes, did you read post #3 by any chance?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Start with planning the framing...

My suggestion is to first tackle the framing aspect of the basement. From the pictures in your first post, it looked like that your house has a stepped foundation (the pics show drywall and then insulation only/no framing?). If this is the case, then all the insulation/VB and drywall has to go for only where there is concrete, then a stud wall 2x4 16" OC be framed in front of the concrete/structural wall. Insulation/VB comes much later. At this time, you have to think how the ceiling will be finished and assess all the boxes for around pipes/ducts. By adjusting the layout, i.e. adding a half wall/opening, built in wall unit, or other features like soffits (or coffer ceiling if you have the height), you can hide some of the boxes and/or posts/I-beam. Following that, electrical and LV cables go in and then insulation/VB. Of course, planning for electrical/cabling means that your layout is done.

For my basement, it took a lot of planning/thought to maximize the layout. In the end, you wouldn't even know I had ducts/pipes and I-beams/posts all over the place.

Cheers,
Kaoru

1 - 11 of 11 Posts