Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to purchase the components for my HT, but I thought I would let you experts give your opinions on the equipment and any information on where I could get good prices prior to actually laying down the dollars.

Panasonic PT AE 700U Projector
Perfect VU Elite Motorized Screen (82" Diagonal)
JVC 8040 Receiver
Paradigm Cinema 110 5.1 Speaker System

Room will be 16' X 17' with a 7'6" white acoustic tile ceiling, berber carpet with thick underlay, dark beige walls
Throw distance will be approx 13'
Main seating around 9.5' from screen.

Any help you could give would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I cant comment on the other equipment, but I have a JVC 7030 receiver and think its fantastic. It is the model under the 8030 (last years 8040) and has almost the same features. Its by no means of audiophile quality and a lot of guys here would probably say there are better for similar money, but I stand by mine and absolutely love the sound that comes out with my new athena speaker system!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Personally, I would try a different receiver. JVC is a mass market brand like the Sony DE series, Kenwood to name a few. Except for a limited number, most mass market receivers are quite weak in sound quality.

What's your budget for a receiver? Good receiver brands include Denon, Marantz, Sony ES, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite. For a budget priced receiver, the Pioneer 1015TX may be considered. It's predecessor, the 1014, was well regarded at it's price point. At a much lower price point, I've seen the Panasonic XR50 clearance priced at $250.

Also, I suggest upping your speakers to at least either the Paradigm Atoms x 2 (or Titans plus Atoms) and the matching centre, CC-170 I think. The Monitor series is the next step for Paradigm. My favourite is the Paradigm Reference Studio series. I have been very happy with my Studio/60, Studio/20 and CC-450, all V.1. The top of the line Paradigm Reference Signature series is sure sweet....hopefully, my next speaker. ;)

Dave

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree with DavidY. Do the speaker upgrade.
To add another receiver option, look at the Yamaha RX-V1500 or the 2500 if you can use a 2nd zone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Have you guys actually tried the Cinema 110 package? Just wondering why I should upgrade those.

As for the receiver, being the heart of the system, I am thinking of getting higher quality. I do have use for 2 different zones - the HT room and the rest of the house (which has in-ceiling speakers with individual volume controls). I would like to be able to play 5.1 movies in the HT room while simultaneously playing stereo CDs in the rest of the house. My local purchase choices are limited since I live in a small community. Therefore, I am now looking at either the:

Pioneer Elite VSX 56txi ($1600 before haggling)
Harmon Cardon AVR 435 ($1499 " " )
or the Onkyo TXSR 702 ($1259 " ")

Which of these would be best for the price?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Harmon is a good unit but way too overpriced in Canada. IMO the 435 is not a good comparison to the Pioneer 56txi. I would probably compare the HK 635 to the 56 txi.
I don't know enough about the Onkyo. I like the looks and specs but I have not heard or played around with one.
I would pick the Pioneer out of the three.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Personally, I would go with a cheaper A/V receiver like the Pioneer 1015TX or if you really want a Pioneer Elite, the 52TX (very similar to the 1015TX except for a few features). And then spend the savings on better speakers. IMO, speakers should not be skimped on as speakers will generally outlast many receivers. Features on receivers appear to change quite frequently. Good sounding speakers will last an easy 5-10 years.

Dave

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, thanks for the advice. I will upgrade. After extensive research, I've come up with the following:

The system will be used equally for music and movies.

My HT room is 16' (L) X17' (W) X7.5' (H). The floor is concrete slab with carpet on it. I have acoustic tiles in the ceiling with insulation above them.
The receiver will either be an Onkyo 702 or Denon 3805. I will be using a Front Projector (Panny 700) and a motorized screen for viewing.
Left and right speakers will be mounted on-wall, very close to the side walls (due to the screen size and windows) - therefore in the corners of the room. The center speaker will be mounted in front of and above the motorized screen (hopefully on an angle so it is centered on the audience when they are sitting down - I am hoping there is some sort of mount that would allow this).

I am hoping that this combination would give the best sound:

OW monitor 5 (for front left and right) - I have heard that they might be too bassy stuck close to side walls as mine will be. Will this be a problem? Should I use a different set of speakers due to the positioning?

Monitor CC-370 (for center) - not the OW-CC-370 since it doesn't have to be shielded. Does this make sense?

Monitor ADP-370s (for side surrounds) - which speakers should I get for rear surrounds in the event that I go to 7.1 sound? I am considering the OW Mini-monitors.

PS-1000 subwoofer - is this OK, given the dimensions and concrete floor? Or should I go with a PW 2100 or Seismic 12?

Which receiver would be most highly recommended? :confused:

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I would suggest the Denon 3805 or the Yamaha 4600, depending on what you will be doing most.

If you are listening to tunes more than 60-70%...then buy Denon.

If you are watching TV or movies...go Yamaha...no question, their DSP's rock for movies or regular Dolby tv.

Do a listening test yourself...and you will see the difference, I have had both...(not those models...)

I hear Pioneer is quite well thought of too.

Have fun.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the Onkyo 702 and think it is fantastic , it's 7.1 , thx etc. Huge power , great sound , powered zone 2 which I have outdoor speakers hooked up and they sound awesome too!! Cant go wrong with the 702 :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
argeebee said:
PS-1000 subwoofer - is this OK, given the dimensions and concrete floor? Or should I go with a PW 2100 or Seismic 12?

A good dealer should let you take the sub home and listen to it so give it a try and hear for yourself. I have the PS-1000 and I am generally happy with it - only 2 negatives to mention. When the volume is up you can hear the air rushing through the port - it's very distracting in a quiet, but, heavy bass scene. As an FYI, I have very similar dimensions, also with a carpeted floor on concrete - my PS-1000 is very hard to calibrate for my room. When set up to sound great in the home theatre area, it sounds extremely "boomy" in the area around my pool table (which would be where we generaly listen to music) which is next to the theatre (all open concept basement). I'm not sure if this is entirely the PS-1000's fault or simply my room accoustics.

Hope that helps,

Scott.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, all. I have decided to go with the Onkyo 702. If you could let me know what you paid for it, I would be much obliged. I live in a fairly remote area where there is only one dealer for Onkyo, so it is hard to negotiate away from MSRP.
I have also decided on the Seismic 12 subwoofer. Hopefully it will avoid the problems of the PS 1000 - at its price it should!!
Everything (except the Onkyo) is now ordered and should be arriving within the next few weeks. I will post my impressions when it is hooked up. In the meanwhile, I will check here to see if anyone posts pricing information. Thanks again.

·
Banned
40 Posts
argeebee said:
OK, thanks for the advice. I will upgrade. After extensive research, I've come up with the following:

The system will be used equally for music and movies.
Do yourself a favor, try to audition NAD T773 or L40 side-by-side with any under can$3000.00 equipment and judge it for yourself. Better to assert more effort that to get jealous when you already have your equipment then compare it with any equipment available in the market

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry about the lateness of this. I have had my system in operation since August and love it. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Well, my reciever vote was for Yamaha but you made your mind up on that one.

However...

I would STRONGLY suggest that you consider the 900U as it is far better than the 700U. The only reason that I could see for sticking with the 700U would be if the price on it was simply unbelieveable.

For reference, there are MANY sites in the US that are selling the 900U for less than $2,000 US and with our dollar where it is, that is only $2,300 CDN.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm interested in your impressions on the perfect Vu screen. Is it the elite or the advantage? Is it nice and flat? Opinion on the white balance?

Inquiring minds want to know...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I purchased a perfect Vu Elite screen. It is motorized and tensioned, 82 inches wide. I use the automatic trigger on the Panisonic 700 (via a Niles voltage converter) to activate the screen. It works fine.
The first one shipped had huge waves in it, so I had to return it. The second screen was delivered after they introduced an improved backing material which is much more substantial. There are no waves in it.

Their customer service is very good: their tech support has been prompt and knowledgeable including answering my questions about installation etc; they paid for all shipping costs for the defective screen which they actually volunteered to replace when I described the problem.
The only problem was that it took them a couple of months to send the replacement. I attribute that delay to production and supply issues caused by their change in the screen's design.

The screen comes with a large black top border: it can be extended quite far. In my case, I have mounted it in a T-Bar/acoustic tile ceiling (7.5 feet high) so it is almost invisible when retracted. I have set the extension to be optimum (to avoid neck strain) when sitting on my low couch.

The white balance seems fine to me, but I am not qualified to give you an informed opinion on that.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One final thought. In my search for information on a new system, one person stands out as giving excellent, knowledgeable and unbiased advice. He is a vendor in the Toronto area, so I wasnt' able to purchase from him. In spite of that, he gave lots of his time answering my emails and even phone calls with detailed information. His name, which I found somewhere in these forums while doing research, is Najeeb Khan. I believe he works at Spectre Audio in T.O. I would like to give him a medal for all the help he was, but I dont have any so I'll give him an excellent recommendation on this forum instead. If you're reading this Najeeb, thank you again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts