Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys looking for a system for my living room. its about 12ft by 12ft. i'm looking for a 5.1 system that will be used roughly 50% for music (hiphop/house) and 50% for tv/home theater. my budget is around 600-1000 for the speakers/sub... which i know is rather wide, but i'm looking for a good sounding system thats a good bang for the buck.

don't really care if its two towers and two bookshelf, or four bookshelf as long as it sounds good with music.

i'd also be needing a receiver. i've had awesome past experiences with HK, but i'm also open to suggestions. i'm not sure if this is a standard feature, but it would be nice to be able to listen to my computer's music library while watching sports or playing ps3.

as always, thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
I recently visited dealer with PSB 5.1 speaker setup for $ 599, HT-1 I believe they named it. I have heard the system in passing prior to, had read reviews and recommended by consumer reports as well.

I took the time this visit to settle in with the system they had on demo. Well what a lovely sounding 5.1 system. Impressive for the money. Incidently, they had on promo the speaker system and a Yamaha AVR for $ 1000.

The next level up was the PSB Alpha B4 speaker system (I think I have that series name correct), for $ 999. The difference I noticed right away was more mid-range. Both sounded very nice.

I have weaved a web of HT the past couple of years. If I were to start off again, fresh and knowing what I do now (albeit at a novice level) I would probably buy the PSB system.

Re: AVR. The NAD T747, is a well reviewed machine. And has rec'd Home and Threatre Recommended purchase. Personnally, I wasn't too fond of it due to it's initial price of $ 1599. Too much coinfor that AVR. But, this dealer had them half price. I guess they're clearing the way for the new T757's - coming soon. Good deals still available on last years machines.

Re: music while gaming, I have no exposure. B
Perhaps a multitasking process utilizing the zone2 function of the AVR ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey there man, thanks for the help. do you think the extra bucks for the second system is worth it?

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Hmmm

Im not sure. Both sounded nice. The Alpha's were more full sounding, alittle bigger speaker, larger drivers.

The sub-woofer for both machines blended in very well, seamless. Quite nice.

Stand and cabling will cost you the same for each system probably. You'll have to check it out.

It was an Audio-Video Unlimited dealer. Bring some of your own media, CD's, DVD, BR's. The demo disk they use in-store is a custom disk. A Dolby provided demo disk or something, it was a perfect source, something that may not be in everyday users home (for example)

Check also PSB website for dealer locations

1 - 4 of 4 Posts