Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 40 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
I bought this same unit a few months ago. I love it, however there is one problem. It only works with certain brands of Toslink cables. this is because the connecting block is inset into the unit by a millimeter or two. I did find cables at FutureShop that would work, but all the cables I currently have do not fit "snuggly". They do work, but don't "click" into place like they should.

It is possible they've re-engineered since I purchased. I haven't called them back to see what solution they found yet.

Jason

·
Registered
203 Posts
My Futureshop cables don't fit as snug in the 1154 as they do when I connect them into my receiver, but as you said, they still work.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Check out the growing list of merchants associated with Border Free. I have bought some items from e-tronics, where they show you the final price including all brokerage, taxes and duty (not usually any) in Canadian Funds. No surprises. Only downside is that the delivery was a little longer than I would have liked.

Border Free

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I just placed an order for the Zector HDS4 switcher (mentioned in this thread), they are now able to ship to Canada, mine's coming by USPS Global Express (3 to 5 days)

Bill Paul of Zector has so far been exceptional, I'll post how well it goes when the product arrives.

Note, this unit doesn't come with a remote as previously mentioned, but can be programmed to respond to existing commands, as well as be programmed to "learn" which commands it should switch with, thus it can switch video inputs to corespond to your AV reveivers input codes.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
The HDS4 switcher arrived this morning, packaging was more than adequate, I have yet to try it out - but it does power up...

I'll be building some new (more) component cables and trying it out tonight.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Got my 1154

I received my 1154 the other day and just got around to hooking it up after another $600 in cables. Everything works great!! This thing is amazing!!

My Rogers HD box seems to be sending a signal to the 1154 so that light is always on, but I made it the last priority so if I turn something else on the light switches!!

I also have a coax in cable from my Rogers HD audio but an optical out and it still works amazing!! I thought I would need another coax out from the 1154 but no...

As for picture and sound... I am not a huge a/v guy but it looks as good and sounds as good as if everything was plugged directly in my receiver or TV!!

Great product!! Highly recommended!!

J

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I connected, and programmed my HDS4 last night.
I don't know what I expected, but this thing just dissapeared as soon as I started using it... (figuratively).
There was no drama, no bells and whistles, no loud clicking, just 1000% reliable operation.
It dims it's display lights after 5 seconds of inactivity, learned to switch video inputs on reception of my AV receivers discrete input selections, powers on with my AV receiver's power command, has full manual overide capabilities (incase it gets out of sync, but never did.), It does one more trick that I was concerned about, if it is passing video input #1, and I select input 1 again - it doesn't drop-out and re-select video 1, it just ignores the selection so you always appear as a savvy operator.

I'm totally impressed, and now I have two more componet inputs to boot!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got my 1154 too. Ordered it from copperbox.com and got it in 1 weeks with the cheapest delivery. In all, it cost me ~360$ CDN (inc. shipping, broker, taxes).

Great product! Really like it. The only complaint is that there is no remote. If I watch a movie on DVD and I want to switch back to TV, I have 2 choices: 1) Get Up and manually press on the switch on the box 2) Close my DVD player.

But thats not a major probleme. Compare to a 2K-3k$ receiver to get only 3 components input, that 's not bad!

I've plugged my Xbox, DVD player. PS2 and 3100HD on it and everything works fine. No apparent loss of image quality.

Thx to this group for the link!

·
Registered
203 Posts
okcompute, my 1154 switches inputs automatically (even with my 3100HD connected to input #1). There may be something wrong with your unit.
[/b]

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
The only complaint is that there is no remote. If I watch a movie on DVD and I want to switch back to TV, I have 2 choices: 1) Get Up and manually press on the switch on the box 2) Close my DVD player.
But wouldn't you switch off the DVD player when you're done with the movie anyway?

·
Registered
6 Posts
AA1154

Wow, I've actually found some people who actually own this thing!

I just moved out, and beefed up my home theater. New plasma tv, receiver, etc. I have DVD, D-Tv, PS2, XBox, Game Cube, all component, and only 2 component inputs on my receiver (and two on the tv). With the receiver pluged into the TV, that's only 3 total component inputs available, and swapping monster cable is a pain in the butt!

I find it amazing that even the highest end receivers have only 3 component inputs (and that's rare). Add to that the fact that not a single "big name company" even make component-only a/v switchers. It'd be nice to see a receiver with only component/optical inputs, less maybe 2 composite inputs.

When I found the AA1154 online it seemed to be exactly what I wanted, but having never heard of the company, and the fact they only sell through small online shops made me wary of dropping the $200. I'm glad to have finally found someone else with the same issue. From your reviews I'll finally be ordering one this weekend.

David
Stockton, Ca.

·
Super Moderator
56,887 Posts
Many people with 3 "games" would simply buy an inexpensive manual switch from RS for use on these components.

RS Switch You just run the component video cables to the 3 RCA jacks.

RS Canada Switch This C$30 compares with over 10 times as much for the "automatic component video switch"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Video Switching

Yeah, that's what I used back when I had a 27" RCA. heh

Honestly, as a "hardcore gamer", you compare all video to that of games on a PC, and even HDTV signals can't compare to that of PC Games running at 1600x1200, 32-bit color, at 80hz. There's just no quality comparison.

Console systems make up for this with bigger tv's. However, the bigger the screen, the more important the resolution. A big screen, with poor resolution looks like crap. But, running console game systems through component cables allows for progressive scan (480P) signals, and by way of comparison to PC video quality, 480P is just about the best TV / console game quality yer gonna get.

Games have evolved far from the days of Pac Man, and Donkey Kong. And, I'll tell ya, going from that 27" RCA, to playing a game of Halo, or some other 3D shooter on a 16x9 plasma, in DTS surround, it's just way more immersive.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
56,887 Posts
There is no loss in resolution through the RS switch from tests done on several forums - with HD (1080i) signals even (it's just manual). Run the component video cable (R&G&B) to the Switch, don't mix up the colours and use the switch as though it were a component video switch. Don't run composite. The audio is run separately, typically to a receiver for DD5.1 sound and switching.

The reason I say this, is that it wasn't obvious from your comments, that you understood to use the switch as a component video only switch.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Gamecube Component Cables!!

David or anyone else,

You posted that you had all your game systems hooked up with component cables... I have my XBox and PS2 hooked up with component but I can't find the Gamecube component cables!! Ebay sellers won't ship to Canada, Nintendo doesn't ship to Canada... no one has the cables!! How did you get them??

Can you help me find a set for myself??

Thanks!!

J

(Sorry - a little off topic!!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Component Cables

No prob... I got em through Nintendo, but I live in the states. Really does wonders for Metroid. I'm actually kinda bummed that Monster only makes s-vid cables for the system, and it seems Nintendo is the only company currently making the component cables. Also not having optical kinda stinks too, but I guess Pro Logic II is sufficient. :)

Dave

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Stores in the States??

David,

Do the stores in the US carry the component cables for the Gamecube or can I only get them on-line??

Thanks!!

J

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nope...

Nope... I've never seen Nintendo Game Cube component cables available for sale retail in the U.S. My girlfriend is an assistant manager at GameStop here in town, and we keep up with all the latest gaming stuff, and we've never seen anything better than Monster S-Video cables available retail for the Game Cube. We got ours from Nintendo's website, and as far as I know that's the only way to get em. suXXors.

Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Need a Component Video switcher

Anyone know where I can get a video switcher for component cables? I have a receiver that has two component video out ports. I use one for my HDTV and one for my XBOX HD games which I use a lot. I am upgrading my DVD player which is currently running on an S-Video cable to a Progressive Scan. I don't want to replace my amp because I am very happy with it but I need more Component video plugs. Anyone know of a switcher I can pick up?

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
I went to Radio Shack and picked up a composite video selector (also works for component). Also picked up a toslink adapter as well.

Both works fine.

21 - 40 of 187 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.