Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking in to a switch for my HD sources (XBox, PS2, DVD, HD Cable, etc...) and I have read all the other threads and come to the conclusion that the 1154 is the best for me because of the optical inputs as no other switch has the audio inputs I want!!

The question is: have anyone used this thing?? Or see it working?? Is it work over $200 for it??

I love my HD signals and I want to keep them but I don't want the hassle of sending the 1154 back if it doesn't perform properly.

Anyone??

Thanks!!

J

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Options?

Question: Can you not simply run the audio connections (coaxial, Toslink) directly to the receiver - why do they need switching? Most receivers I've seen have enough digital inputs...

Instead of spending $200 on the switch, would you consider upgrading your A/V receiver to one that accepts several HD inputs and run the other(s) directly to the TV?

If you still needed a switch then, you could purchase one of the inexpensive manual switches (RS composite/audio) for the X-box, PS2...

Just some thoughts....

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I don't know - I've got a fair number of digital audio inputs, but not 4 components. Mine has component for 'TV' and 'DVD', but the rest are only S-video/composite. I get by with just switching the Xbox and DVD through the receiver first and go direct to the TV for the 3100, and that eats up all available component inputs on the TV too. Are there really that many receivers that expect all these component inputs?

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
There are some receivers that accept 3 component video inputs, outputting one. You could go directly to the TV for the 4th and/or use a "cheap switch" as I mentioned, if the receiver only has two inputs. Also, some TVs have DVI and that could be used for the next gen STB.

The Yamaha RX-V1000 or 800 have 4 optical, 2 coaxial audio inputs
My Yamaha RX-V1 has 7 optical, 3 coaxial audio inputs (and 3 component video ins).

Granted, these are not the cheapest units but the 800 is affordable and is a "step up" as I mentioned earlier, for anyone willing to spend $200 on a switch alone...

I was just making suggestions...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Inputs

In my limited knowledge of all of this I was assuming that a direct connection is the best way to go. I know a switch will reduce signal a bit, but should I not be too worried??

I do have 2 component inputs on my Sony TV, but my Sony receiver does not have ANY component inputs. It also only has 2 optical inputs for audio.

A switch is about $200 but is a new receiver a better buy?? Can I really find a receiver that has a few component video imputs?? Do they work better than a switch?? I didn't know that!!

Would the receiver give me less signal loss than a switch??

I want to be able to connect the following with component:

XBox
PS2
DVD
Rogers High Def

Thanks!!

J

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
You would need to find a A/V receiver that has two wideband component video inputs (that shouldn't be too hard)

You need to find an A/V receiver that you can connect the 4 digital connections of the various STBs to. (not sure if they're optical or coaxial, so match them up.) That shouldn't be too hard.

If you're going to buy a new receiver, see the following post for things to look for in A/V receivers (at the bottom of the post).

If only I'd have known

You could then buy the inexpensive Radio Shack composite video switch and run the video from two "lowest resolution" devices through it directly to the TV. You should not see any loss of PQ. You also should see no loss of PQ through the receiver.

See --> This thread on Component Video Switches.

Many people on several forums have now corroborated the test where they could see no difference between a direct connection and running through the RS composite switch, using good cables.

Before you buy the receiver, you could try the RS switch and if it doesn't do the job, take it back and you can always get the more expensive one you mentioned. You must use the "manual" switch. For some reason the "remote control" switches from RS do not do the job (probably a less robust connection).

Again, these are just suggestions..

PS, I just looked at the AA1154 and it's US$200, which is about C$350 or so delivered. Are you in the US?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Canada

I am in Toronto...

Tomorrow I am going to look at receivers, where do you think the best place to go is??

I may give in to the 1154, I just wish there was a local place I could get it so I can return it if it is not good. Anyone??

I did some research and there aren't ANY PS2 HD games, from what I know, DVD's aren't in HD either so I guess I can stick with the XBox and maybe switching the cables when I want to watch a DVD or watch HD on my Rogers box. How does a DVD look over S-Video??

If I can find a cheap component switch in the city, I'll get it to save myself the hassel of moving the tv!!

Thanks!!

J

·
Registered
203 Posts
I bought a 1154 last month from www.copperbox.com last month because I ran out of component inputs on my Sony 34xbr800 and my Denon 3802 receiver. I just bought the TV so I didn't want to drop another couple of thousand on a new receiver just for more inputs, because what if that ran out of inputs too?

The 1154 was a god-send, for $200 I found a component video switcher that also switched and converted the digital audio signal. I've connected my SA3100HD STB, X Box and PS2 to the switcher, with the STB given highest priority (input #1) and the 1154 worked flawlessly. Admittedly, I am not as descerning as others are in terms of pictures quality, but I do know a good picture when I see it.

The only problem I've had with the 1154 is its size. According to the photos on the Audio Authority website, the 1154 looks rather small and compact but in actuality it's about the size of the 6 stacked DVDs.

The 1154 comes to about $400 CDN, that's after conversion, taxes, duties and brokerage fees. There is another alternative to the 1154, I think it's called the HS4 from www.zektor.com but it is $100 USD more than the 1154 and the company doesn't seem to ship to Canada. I does do the same component video and digital audio swtiching as the 1154 and has the same size and finish as other A/V equipment so placing it within you equipment rack wouldn't be a problem. The 1154 does it's switching automatically while the Zektor unit has a remote. The company has even provided discrete codes for Pronto remote users for their switcher.

There is yet a third switcher out there on the web from a company called Inday. Their box is similar to the 1154 in that it's a small switch box, but it too has a remote like the Zektor, but it only switches between component video inputs, it doesn't have any facilities for digital audio.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Receivers

Well I went to my local Best Buy today and found that most receivers have only 2 component inputs. As I need about 3 (or more) this really doesn't work for me.

Also, the cost for a good receiver is $400+ while the 1154 would come to about $300 or so and give me more inputs!!

With JohnnyG and Bluntman's comments I am satisfied that I should get the 1154.

Are there recievers that have more than 2 component inputs??

Thanks!!

J

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Are there recievers that have more than 2 component inputs??
Sure there are. The more you pay, the more you get! The H/K AVR8000 has 3 inputs, for example.

I think you made the right choice. It's a very decent little unit. For example, it'll automatically switch video AND audio to your DVD player just by turning the DVD player on. Then when you turn the player off after the movie, it'll automatically go back to TV. You'll not have to switch inputs on either your A/V receiver or your TV!

·
Registered
203 Posts
FYI, about a week after you receive your 1154 the brokerage company that handled the importing will call you to tell you that you owe them money for their services. Their fee will come to an extra $89 or so bringing the price to the as mentioned $400 price tag. I received a second notice, even though I didn't even receive the first notice (just a phone call at work). You can pay the brokerage fee online on their website.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shipping type??

Bluntman,

Do you recall what kind of shipping you asked for??

I was given a range from ground $20 to express $80. I asked for ground.

Would one way possibly save me the brokerage fee??

Thanks!!

J

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
PST/GST/Broker

I have been lucky to have some items (DVDs) shipped by UPS ground slip through the PST/GST/Broker radar, but I've been "nailed" the past couple of times with some other items.

I'm surprised the broker released the item without payment...

When I was talking about upgrading your receiver earlier, I assumed you'd spend more than $400 on a receiver since that's the price of the switch - perhaps twice that or more since it's an upgrade, not a "replacement".

Good luck with your switch.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Switch

I am living in an apartment at the moment so upgrading isn't a good choice since I am already getting complaints about my noise!! HA!!

Thanks for the advice though...

J

·
Registered
203 Posts
Golibano, I chose the cheapest form of shipping, $21 International Ground since I wasn't in a rush. There's no way to get around the brokerage fee unless you have a US address.

·
Banned
899 Posts
The place that I got my TV from said that you cannot use a "typical" component switching Receiver for HDTV. For Xbox, or PS2, or even DVD fine, but not for HDTV.

They said that you need a high end reviever, which would start around $3k to do HDTV.

Oh yea... they were not trying to sell me anything. The guy is a friend, and it was just talk.

That COULD be wrong, since I have no personal experience with it, but it sure would be something I'd research before buying a reciever.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Mike F said:
...you cannot use a "typical" component switching Receiver for HDTV.
True, what you need is a receiver with "wideband" component switching as I mentioned in an earlier post. More and more new receivers have this feature, for a lot less than $3k.

I don't want to get into a big argument on component switching, but any receiver that switches more than about 35 MHz is fine.

See link below for actual MHz requirement for various signals - even 25 MHz is enough for "superb HDTV"...

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/ajaynejr/bandwid.htm

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
By far, the cheapest shipping method in terms of customs fees is through the post office. They are actually pretty fast too.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts