Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My volunteer Fire Department recently decided to have a fundraiser selling tickets on a complete Home Theater system.

I was tasked with finding the best components which includes a TV (46" or larger), surround sound speakers (5.1 or 7.1), AV receiver, bluray player, and a nice looking stand to hold it all. It's not necessary that the components match, but they should all look nice when everything is put together.

Our budget is $3000 (including the taxes). I've already put together a few fairly nice setups myself, but the choices are so vast that I'd appreciate some input.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
We can't do your homework for you. Why don't you list a package and we can critique and make some alternate suggestions.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I would keep it simple and go with Sony all around. Remember that you want to sell tickets so brand recognition is more important than quality (not that Sony isn't necessarily good quality but they aren't always the best value). Sony is a well respected brand by the average Joe, plus they sell all of the components so it's a single source. Samsung would be another option to consider for similar reasons. You could even try giving them call and seeing if they'd be interested in providing you a system at a discounted price since it's for charity.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I wouldn't choose Samsung due to their poor warranty service. That could cause unwanted headaches after the fact.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah not to bash samsung but in the past five years I've had 2 tv's and a blu-ray player all crap out within 2 years. I've been very happy with my Sony products though.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I agree with Grog on Sony for the appeal and Agree with ScaryBob to stay away from Samsung not counting the appeal factor wouldn't be as much with Samsung. While I'd never buy it, a Sony package would definitely attrack some attention for what you are trying to achieve and you could definitely get buy well below your buget.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
you guys must be working toward a new rig., equipment ..etc.

perhaps for that budget, and subsequent savings from purchase of a quality system from Sony (HTiB) ...

you can have a first, second & third prize ..fundraiser ?

first prize, the HTiB
second prize .. apple iTouch
third prize .. some lucky lady (or unlucky) gets a dinner with one of the fireman. ok ..seriously.. third prize .. gift certificate from a nice restaurant in your area..

or firemen for a day contest, cleaning up around the garden, grass cutting, washing car ..etc. it's free for you guys (say a weekend day, or morning off) ...and great PR.

the guys around here, volunteer fire department, also have car wash days on the mall parking lot. works well for them. anyways, i'm sure you lads have it under control.

just some ideas, sorry if i slipped OT alittle. have fun

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, thanks for the input. I had planned to buy components based on my own preferences, but the idea to go with a recognized and popular brand like Sony in order to sell more tickets is a very good one. I think that that's probably the best way to go. In fact I think it might be good to also go with a 3D capable setup, that too might be worth a few extra tickets to some people.

FYI we're working toward a new equipment/rescue van, new hoses for our pumper truck, and new SCBAs. We won't get it all obviously, but every bit counts (in fact the money we're hoping to make from this will likely go toward the hoses and 1 or possibly 2 SCBAs).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's what I'm looking at, sourced from various places:
  • Sony Bravia 46" KDL46HX800 $1,581.98
  • AV receiver, cables, surge protector from the same place $951.09
    • Onkyo HT-S5400 HTiB
    • Philips SPP4200WA/17 Surge Protector
    • 3x HDMI 1.4 Cables ~$15 each
  • Sony 3D Blu-ray Player BDP-S570 $203.39
  • Hybrid TV/Mount stand $225.98
Prices include taxes/shipping, total is $2,962.44

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Here's what I'm looking at, sourced from various places:
Sony Bravia 46" KDL46HX800 $1,581.98
AV receiver, cables, surge protector from the same place $951.09
Onkyo HT-S5400 HTiB
Philips SPP4200WA/17 Surge Protector
3x HDMI 1.4 Cables ~$15 each
Sony 3D Blu-ray Player BDP-S570 $203.39
Hybrid TV/Mount stand $225.98
Prices include taxes/shipping, total is $2,962.44
Why don't you try to get all Sony which will make it more appealing. The Sony Bravia HTIB includes built in player and receiver thus saving you some cash. TV mounts, surge protector and cables should be bought online at such places as monoprice"dot"com or bluejeans"dot"com or if you buy all from the same place, get a deal package to provide you with the above at no extra cost.

I like the idea of 2nd and possibly 3rd prizes so if budgget remains and you so desire, 2nd prize could be a BD player or some of the sort. Your last could be a pair of tickets to the movie perhaps?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did try to get a standalone Sony receiver and Sony speakers, but the price was too much for our budget, and the Sony HTiB I could find just seemed, frankly, too crappy. I'm trying to make it somewhat decent as well as appealing. The Onkyo system I found I can get for just $500, and it's upgradable and has gotten good reviews as far as the speakers and receiver go. Even tho Onkyo doesn't have the recognition that Sony does, they are a respected brand as far as receivers go (not so sure about their speakers, but they'll do), and I'm fairly comfortable going with their HTiB for this.

As for the 2nd and 3rd place prizes, our lottery license won't let us do it. When we initially applied it was for one prize, so now if we wanted to add 2nd and 3rd place prizes we'd have to apply for a new license.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Personally I'd still stick with Sony for the HTiB. Ask 10 random people on the street and I'd be surprised if even 1 of them had heard of Onkyo. I agree it's likely better value for the money but again this is about mass appeal.

Why not something like this:

http://www.**************/en-CA/product/sony-sony-blu-ray-home-theatre-system-bdviz1000w-bdviz1000w/10153814.aspx?path=5e52d538bb159f088f57056a8e5daaa7en02

$700 and it includes 3D Blu-ray.

Edit: looks like the Future Shop link is a not allowed. Anyway, the model I was referring to is the BDVIZ1000W.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That has the "receiver" built in to the bluray player as far as I can tell. I agree that the best option is to go with all Sony, still looking for an affordable receiver/speaker set or decent HTiB for that but they are hard to find for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You may also consider going with a ps3 system instead of the blu ray player. All if them now are 3D capable. Assuming of course you can save the money elsewhere.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Is it possible to throw a little advertising in there? Go to BB, Future Shop, Sony Store etc, talk to the managers and let them build you a system for your price range in return for being named as the supplier or something. Then choose the best package and go from there. Could end up with a much better system over-all

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
You may also consider going with a ps3 system instead of the blu ray player. All if them now are 3D capable. Assuming of course you can save the money elsewhere.
Great idea! Pair that with a Sony HTSS380 or HTSF470 for a simple, 3D capable package.
Or skip the PS3 for a Sony BDVIZ1000W 3D Blu-ray home theatre system.

Onkyo is an excellent choice for people know home theatre but the average contestant will have never heard of it.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
IMHO, your priority should be appeal over quality for waht you are doing and Sony can deliver that.
Is it possible to throw a little advertising in there? Go to BB, Future Shop, Sony Store etc, talk to the managers and let them build you a system for your price range in return for being named as the supplier or something. Then choose the best package and go from there. Could end up with a much better system over-all
This is definitely a great idea!

Great idea! Pair that with a Sony HTSS380 or HTSF470 for a simple, 3D capable package.
Or skip the PS3 for a Sony BDVIZ1000W 3D Blu-ray home theatre system.

Onkyo is an excellent choice for people know home theatre but the average contestant will have never heard of it.
Definitely agree!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Just thinking here; why not make a deal with the best supplier (oofer) to purchase a gift certificate to go toward an HT sytem were the winner would have the option of moving things around, choose as they see fit and then the supplier might be able to sell a few extra items when the winner drops by?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can't get a 3D capable system with all Sony components within our budget. The cheapest Sony speakers-only package I can find cost $1000, and that pushes things well out of our budget range.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Can't get a 3D capable system with all Sony components within our budget. The cheapest Sony speakers-only package I can find cost $1000, and that pushes things well out of our budget range.
IMO, 3D capable is a waste of money at this point, just focus on buying what is fully usable at this time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts