Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am curious as to what everyone uses for a Home Server. Specifically those running LINUX, what are you using and what disk configurations?

I need to run PS3 mediaserver, Torrent client and Subsonic for music. I have tried unRAID and freeNAS in the past but I find a NAS solution too limiting.

Thoughts?

Stew

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
CentOS is pretty good distro and easy to set up for what you need. For disk config I have recently used a hardware raid 5 set up and it works perfect. You dont loose a ton of diskspace but does give you safe data redundancy

·
Registered
3 Posts
XUbuntu

I installed Xubuntu on an old AMD Tbird desktop with 1GB ram mainly for PS3 Media Server, torrent downloads and "NAS" using SMB/Windows shares. I was really happy with it. Transmission bitorrent client was pre-installed on it, and it's great. Runs pretty well on that old hardware. I just ran with a couple internal disks since that's what I had in the machine, no RAID.

I'm in the process of replacing it with a dedicated Synology DS209 nas box to have RAID1, reduce power consumption and get Time Machine backups for my MBP, but I'm having a hard time shutting down the Xubuntu server. It's been such a good friend. :)

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
I have an IBM Netfinity server with 4 18GB SCSI drives configured in a RAID array. It's running OpenSUSE, but I don't use it for any multimedia stuff.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
CentOS (aka free RHEL) is probably the most stable solution for a server. OTOH, it's stable because it's not cutting edge. That means some new applications, such as media servers, are not included and can can be difficult to get working.

Something like Linux Mint would be best for someone new to Linux. PCLinuxOS is good as well. Ubuntu, Mandriva and Fedora are good for slightly more experienced people who want the latest technology. If you have the time, try them all to see which works best for the required software.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone for your advice. I have decided to stick it out with unRAID. It is relatively easy to use and maintain. I like the drive spin-down function that reduces energy use.

Kryspy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.