Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully I'm posting to the right forum, apologies if I'm not.

First, let me say that everything will be done by a professional. I just want it all figured out before I start looking for a technician to do the work.

Current Setup:

POTS comes into the house, just before reaching the telephone patch panel a splice has been made which goes into the home alarm.

Initial Changes:

Cut the line before the splice for the home alarm and fit an RJ11 connector at each end. Connect ends together with some sort of adapter.

Longer Term:

Plug RJ11 connector that runs to the patch panel into a Linksys PAP2T.

If staying with DSL, plug other end directly into DSL model. Modem then goes to router and PAP2T also into router. Possibly add a small length of cable to more easily reach the DSL/PAP2T.

Will this work? Will having the new RJ11 connectors affect current quality of phone line? Will 1 or 2 feet of extra length added affect quality of phone line? Is a PAP2T enough to power all phone jacks in house?

Is there a better way to do what I'm trying to achieve? I want to allow flexibility in case we decide to go back to POTS, switch to cable, sell the house, etc...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
your PSTN line coming into your house needs a Demarcation point. just put one in yourself, or have Bellus put one in.

once you cancel and go VOIP, you simply unplug the wire to your bell demarc, and plug that wire into your voip terminal. btw, that wire will go to your alarm first, then a distribution block to the rest of your house. if that makes sense?

·
Registered
405 Posts
First, let me say that everything will be done by a professional.
It's low voltage, so you don't NEED a professional to do this, you are allowed to DIY if you feel you are up to it.

Will this work?
Sounds correct to me.

Will having the new RJ11 connectors affect current quality of phone line? Will 1 or 2 feet of extra length added affect quality of phone line?
this won't affect quality, as long as the connections are secure

Is a PAP2T enough to power all phone jacks in house?
Yes, I have mine powering my whole house, and I have 3 phones attached to it.

Is there a better way to do what I'm trying to achieve? I want to allow flexibility in case we decide to go back to POTS, switch to cable, sell the house, etc...
Your setup will be easy to revert back, all you would need to do is remove the modem/router/pap2t group and reconnect the incoming POTS line into your system.

The only drawback to this setup is that all of your hardware is in your utility room. I have mine wired so that the outside line runs on a second pair of wires up to my office, and then the PAP2T connects back into the household wiring upstairs. That way if there is any debugging to do, all of the hardware is right beside my main PC in my office. If you run everything wireless, it's not really a concern though.

As a reminder, make sure your PAP2T wiring is disconnected from the outside world, you can't allow them to mix.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
your PSTN line coming into your house needs a Demarcation point. just put one in yourself, or have Bellus put one in.

once you cancel and go VOIP, you simply unplug the wire to your bell demarc, and plug that wire into your voip terminal. btw, that wire will go to your alarm first, then a distribution block to the rest of your house. if that makes sense?
Paolo, I don't think I can do this as I may still need the line coming in (dry-loop) if I stick with DSL.

Thank you very much DdDave. I actually like the fact it's going to be out of the way (my wife especially likes it). The basement is currently completely open and I'm going to setup shelving/cupboard where everything comes in. My current setup also has a bridged router in the living room that handles the wireless. I'll just run some cat5e to it directly from the basement.

I'm also going to get a good UPS than can power up this setup for a few hours.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
^^^^
Run your ADSL line on the 2nd or 3rd pair of your house cable. You can then use a phone jack splitter to access that pair anywhere in your home. You also won't need ADSL filters.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The plan is to move the DSL modem to the basement as well so I won't need to do this.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
if you have dry loop, then you have no phone service in the bell demarc, you have nothing to worry, your house's internal phone jacks are connected to your voip at the demarc, you would simply plug in your aDSL modem into the bell demarc, since nothing else is using it, you wont need filters either, you have DRY loop, there is no voice on the bell copper wires. you would then run the ethernet out of there into your rouder and wala.

i wish i could do a drawing for you but its really easy, your just connecting the wires.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very interesting Paolo, I think I see what you are getting at.

Do you have any links to the box I would need to install/get installed?

I may have run into a "snag". My alarm provider doesn't seem to be a fan of VoIP because of reliability issues. They are recommending I keep the phone line (~$20 a month if I switch to Teksavvy) or get a different connection setup (~$250 for equipment and install + ~$10 a month for service).

Either way is still cheaper over the long haul than sticking with Bell (or is it Bell who's sticking it to me :))

·
Registered
877 Posts
Just to make sure this is perfectly clear, be sure not to run your ADSL and your VoIP on the same pair of wires, even if the ADSL is dry loop. It's important to make sure not to connect VoIP to your Bell line since this could theoretically damage your VoIP equipment.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cell, something called an Uplink 2530.

I think an IP solution would / should be lower cost than that but they seem to think the reliability of internet connections these days is still pretty bad. I've been with this company for years and have received nothing but good service so I can't complain too much. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts