Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is really starting to annoy me.

I have a Windows 7 box in my basement, connected to my router with a wire. The box has a static IP, which I checked with an ipcofig command to confirm it is receiving form the router.

I had some trouble with a 2nd internal drive and had to remove it. Ever since, whenever the computer connects, it will not connect to my home network. When I try, it says there are no networks found. Obviously that is incorrect because there is a second box right next to it that is working fine and connecting to the home network. I am currently connected to a "Public" network, according to the Network and Sharing centre. I cannot share any of the folders that were shared just a few hours ago.

I've tried different CAT5 cables, restarted the box, etx, but to no avail. Now for the weird part (even weirder) is that I can see the 2nd box ( the one that is connected to the home network) in windows explorer and access the shared drives on it. However, when I go to the working box, I cannot see the shares on the non-working box.

What is going on here?

Any ideas???

Thanks!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've removed all firewall software and turned off the Windows firewall.

The router assigns the MAC address a static IP of 192.168.1.77

I can see the computer connected and assigned the IP in the router panel, but it also shows that it is not connected to the network. I can access the internet and do anything online, but just cannot access the local network.

Strange

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've noticed when there's a network interruption, Windows 7 will sometimes revert back to a "public" network. So, it is working fine. You'll need to switch it from "Public" back to "Home". You should be able to share your files again. I can't post links here, so you'll have to Google "Windows 7 change public network to home network"

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

I tried to change the network from public to home, but unfortunately the network wasn't even displayed in the Network and Sharing panel. It was blank.

So I reinstalled a copy of windows and it showed up right away.

Don't have an answer to the specific issue, but reinstalling windows did the trick.

Thanks for all the help!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts