Hello,

Here is a list of my equipment.
shaw cable modem
dlink 2310 wired router
dlink 8 port gigabit switch
dlink 4 port 10/100 switch
dlink dir 655
linksys e3000 with ddwrt configured for stongvpn

I know with telus they give you two ip addresses and therefore you can have two mac addresses, i think per ip address.

when I connect the 2310 and the e3000 the 2310 gets a ip, and the e3000 does not. if I unplug the 2310 the e3000 gets an ip.

my shaw modem goes direct to the 2310 which gives all my devices their ip. dhcp is turned off on the on the dlink dir 655, and used as a wireless hub.

wihtout always having to switch from the 2310 to the e3000, what is the best way to setup my home network? I want the 2310 and the e3000 always connected to the net. shaw has given me two ip's, and that still does not work.

I also cannot get the wireless to work on the e3000, as you can tell my experience is with dlink.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
E3000 and 2310 plugged into the yellow ports on modem??

Similar manual set up is still possible by going to the default admin IP address: 192.168.1.1 from another site plus.....

# Some people had trouble with the included setup CD

# The e3000 needs a firmware update to correct some of the problems that people noted

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/linksys/E3000

Page 14 of the user guide there also shows manual IP/static IP config.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the issue correctly. You have two routers plugged into your shaw cable modem? Or are you trying to piggyback routers?

Either way, you only need one IP to the internet, all the IP's inside the house are really irrelevant as far as the internet is concerned.

I have a Bell Aliant modem that I have 4 devices connected to. It aslo send out wireless access. On the wireless access I have a Linksys router, configured for StongVPN, set up as a wireless repeater. The linksys is on a different subnet than the Aliant router, so it gives out different IP's than the Aliant. However, when any signal leaves my house to the internet, they all use the same IP address - the Aliant one. The Linksys connected devices, however, get rerouted to StrongVPN, which then connects me to the internet through their service.

What is it you are trying to accomplish, exactly? You have all the parts, you just need help getting them to work together. Either way, I don't see the need for two IP addresses to get you up and running, but maybe someone with more networking experience can help as well.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i only have one router connected to the shaw modem at one time, it will not allow two. shaw modem - > switch - > two routers.

I want two networks, we regular one, and the vpn one. does the vpn not have to see the internet directly? I assume it does in order for it to work.

I have already flashed the e3000 with ddwrt, the latest.

thanks

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
A little beyond my knowledge but perhaps this Microsoft page will provide the answer with the "static route" info, etc.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317025
I am surprised that your modem has only one port. But you may be able to plug the one router into the others port and go from there.

·
Registered
300 Posts
OK, so you have a modem -> switch(hub) -> 2 routers, right?

I think you are running into problems because you have two routers hooked up to a modem. I'm assuming the shaw cable modem is not a router? Try hooking it up this way:

Remove the switch, hook up your main router to the cable modem, then use one of the available ports to hook up the linksys. Your setup will look like this:

Modem -> DLink -> Linksys

Now all you have to do is get your linksys on a different subnet than the DLink. It should work. If you can'r spare a port on the Dlink to hook up the linksys, then run your switch off one of the Dlink's other ports.

I think that will work for you, assuming your Linksys is configured properly according to the StrongVPN site.

Let us know of it doesn't work.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I guess it could work, but I fail to see why you would need to do this for this particular application.

I could see this if you were running a home server and wanted outside access to it via a dyndns type setup and you wanted to keep your two computers on completely separate networks. But for an application like VPN with a DD-WRT router, one IP is all that is required.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so if my router goes to dlink 2310, ip ex. 192.168.1.1, i connect my linksys to the 2310 and set the ip as 192.168.1.2.

does that work?

Leave dhcp on, on both?

thanks

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am not a network expert, but I dont think this will work.

modem -> dlink 2310 -> linksys

how does the linksys see the interent? isnt the 2310 the only one that has a wan?

I went to what is my ip and it shows shaw, i need it to show my vpn ip, therefore doesnt the linksys need to see the net, or be connected to a wan?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
will thanks for the direction, you were correct.

I did a little research on what you said, and I made it work.

i had to setup the wan and lan on the linksys.

·
Registered
300 Posts
So it is working OK? The Linksys is on the LAN, and all of it's DHCP assigned addresses go to the internet through Shaw, but then get redirected to StrongVPN. That is why they need to be on a separate subnet.

Glad it's finally working!!:)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
If you call shaw and get a second IP address you can do

Shaw Modem => Switch => Router1
=> Router 2

I had this setup at my old house, The wired and wireless networks were separate. If you start daisy chaining routers you will deal with NAT / Port issues not to mention performance.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I know with telus they give you two ip addresses and therefore you can have two mac addresses, i think per ip address.
You cannot have two MAC addresses per IP address. However, you can have multiple IP addresses for one MAC address.

modem -> dlink 2310 -> linksys

how does the linksys see the interent? isnt the 2310 the only one that has a wan?
It is possible to have the WAN side of one router connected to the LAN side of the one connected to the modem. I've done that here and at work. In fact, I do that when I want to test my firewall from the "outside".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts