Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live on the 5th floor of an apt building and have been finding that my internet online speed tests are showing I have a slow connection. Is it possibe that with this lockdown and so many people at home likely streaming and using internet is slower for many people. The speed test below is using with only one device connected this morning (my laptop). How do these speeds look for Cocego. I do have an Ecobee 3 lite Thermostat that normally connects to my Wifi but disabled that for the test, not sure how much effect this device would have on the internet itself. Thanks for any comments or input.

·
Registered
76 Posts
First off, welcome to the site. You need to post what service speed you are paying for, second, hardwire your laptop to the modem and see what speed you get. If it seems to be the right download and upload then there would have to be an interference causing the lack of speed in your apartment like your home phone or microwave or sometimes too many connections to the modem may also cause the lack of speed.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
I live on the 5th floor of an apt building and have been finding that my internet online speed tests are showing I have a slow connection. Is it possibe that with this lockdown and so many people at home likely streaming and using internet is slower for many people. The speed test below is using with only one device connected this morning (my laptop). How do these speeds look for Cocego. I do have an Ecobee 3 lite Thermostat that normally connects to my Wifi but disabled that for the test, not sure how much effect this device would have on the internet itself. Thanks for any comments or input.
Well, what do you expect? If you're on the 5th floor, the data has to go up hill! ;)

Actually, without knowing what you're supposed to get, it's impossible to answer. Also, what are you using for a firewall/router? If you have some old consumer grade router, that could be the limiting factor.

I'm on Rogers and have a 500/20 package. A few months ago, the computer I had been using for my firewall/router died and I had to use an old D-Link router. That cut me down to about 40 Mb! Then I bought a new Qotom mini PC, which I run pfsense on and here are the results of one recent speedtest. This is significantly better than I had been getting with an old HP desktop computer, where I'd generally get around 520 down. So, hardware matters too.

·
Super Moderator
56,773 Posts
1. What is the package speed you're paying for?
2. Use an Ethernet cable directly to the modem from the computer. WiFi speeds can be all over the place and various things can impact WiFi speed, like placement, interference from neighbours, etc.
3. Are you using the Cogeco modem? What's the exact make/model?
4. What is the make/model of your computer? What OS are you using?
5. What times of day are you testing? Although there can sometimes be congestion, if you test at various times of the day, you may get different speeds?
6. Is the modem bridged to your own router? If so, what's the exact make/model of your router?

Mostly, these days, people get what they pay for with service providers. Often they even get more. I'm with Rogers on a 300/20 package and usually get 500/22 any time of day. See the following "survey".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My Cogeco Internet is UltraFibre 40 Unlimited
Download Speed Up To: 40Mpbs
Router: Airport Express via MacBook Pro 13 Inch laptop that is connected directed into the Cogeco box.
OS X EI Capitan Ver 10.11.6

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
What happens if you connect a computer directly to the modem?

·
Registered
9,512 Posts
Connecting the MacBook directly to the router using an ethernet cable may deliver full speeds. The slowdown may be due to a weak signal or interference on wifi. If that is the case, it may be necessary to move the Airport Express to a better location, use a better frequency (difficult in an apartment building) or improve wifi coverage using some other method.

To start, try moving the MacBook closer to the Airport Express to see if speeds improve. A wifi analyzer app on a smartphone or the MacBook may be used to check for wifi signal strength, coverage and interference in order to find a better channel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I took the MacBook next to the airport express router an got 8.6 Mpbs for download and 10.1 Mpbs upload. Then did one in the longest spot away with the room door closed and got 7.6 Mpbs for download and 6.2 Mpbs upload. If I were to move the Airport Express what options would I use as it connects directly to the Cogeco box and that box needs to stay where its at. I am guessing just a extra long cable and run it along the wall bottom? Is there a way to setup a Wifi booster/repeater in another room. Not sure if this would help, never tired this before.

·
Registered
9,512 Posts
It looks like distance to the router is not the issue. The next test will be to try a direct connection using an ethernet cable. If download speed goes up significantly then I suspect that the Airport Express, MacBook Pro or wifi configuration is the issue. Knowing the exact model numbers of the Airport Express and MacBook Pro would help diagnose the issue. It would also help to know the details of the wifi connection on the MacBook, such as the protocol and connection speed.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Can you not plug in an Ethernet cable??? That's the way to do this test, as WiFi has too many variables.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I could give this a try, seems like the next best step to take. So I unlplug the Airport Express router from the Cocego box, then plug in the a Ethernet cable from my laptop to the same positon as the router was plugged in and a speed test? Your never know in the end it may be we just need a faster internet package as the wife watches Netflix movies via Apple TV 4K for several hours each day since the pandemic lockout here.

·
Super Moderator
56,773 Posts
You should be able to plug your computer into the Airport Express?

If you're paying for 40, you should get 40 or 50 down. That should be adequate for 4K if there's nothing else major going on at the same time.

·
Registered
9,512 Posts
So I unlplug the Airport Express router from the Cocego box, then plug in the a Ethernet cable from my laptop to the same positon as the router was plugged in and a speed test?
Do not do that. If possible, plug the ethernet cable into the second ethernet port on the Airport Express router. There may or may not be a second ethernet port on the Airport Express router that can be connected directly to the laptop. If there isn't, it's an indication that the Airport Express router is obsolete and should be replaced. That's why we need to know the exact model. The same goes for the MacBook Pro. If the Airport Express router is obsolete, it is likely the cause of the slow speeds. Even the latest model of the Airport Express router is obsolete by today's latest standards and probably should be replaced with a router that supports 802.11ac (Wi-Fi 5) or 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts