Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone found this issue?
Bell Aliant's HH3000 will not assign an IP nor can I assign a static address to my router.
In NL so no user/pw (ppoe not available).
Has anyone seen a MAC lock from the modem and if so how to fix?
Bell's hh3000 firmware seems to be the latest so advanced dmz should work if I can get a dynamic address assigned to my router.
The router is An RT AC68u running Merlin 384.7.
The router has worked perfectly on old Bell service and was used instead of the Aliant Actiontec (cloned MAC) as I just upgraded to HH3000.
Just wondering if the HH3000 has a lock on the MAC from old router? Nothing seems to work.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You can only put a STATIC IP for your router if you are NOT using A-DMZ, HH3K is pulling public IP and you have separate
NAT on your router.

-> My Devices
-> Ethernet (assuming your router is connected via ethernet)
-> Click on the Pencil icon, under settings category
-> Under "IP Type" choose the radio button for "Reserved" and type in the static 192.168.2.x address you want

To Setup Advanced DMZ

-> Advanced Tools
-> DMZ (located under Networking)
-> Make sure "DMZ" switch is in ON position
-> Make sure "Advanced DMZ" box is checked
-> Click on your router from the Device list
-> Click on SAVE.

Assuming your router is setup properly, you might have to release/renew the internet connection in your router, or power cycle router, to now pull the public IP which is dynamic, you can't get a static IP unless you have a business account setup for static public IP.
if there is a power outage then you will have to power cycle and let the HH3K come up completely and then do the release/renew on your router to get the A-DMZ back up properly with router pulling IP again. My router usually sticks on a 192.168.2.x again until this is done as both come back up at same time.

FYI i'm using RT-n56u behind my HH3K, I have been using it for years and had it to replace my old R1000 originally

·
Registered
1 Posts
Neoneva, are you having any issues where it goes down and you have to cycle it besides when a power outage occurs? Mine disconnects once a day or so and outside sources can no longer reach my network when it does. I'm wondering what might be causing it to keep losing connection. I'm using an asus router as well.

GM

·
Registered
81 Posts
only after a power outage. otherwise it's rock solid.
after an outage because the HH3K takes so long to get a connection and come up 100% of the way. after the HH3K is back up all the way, i'll have to power cycle my ASUS then in order to incoming connections to work again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
some work, some don't

I came across this thread because i have a client having this exact issue. I am a home automation technician and work with the HH3k all the time. I have been doing the ADMZ (with DHCP reservation for the router) for a couple years and never had a problem. Rock solid configuration.

So now i have a client whom i set up over a year ago with a networking package and some home automation, using the same gear i always use and at the time they were with rogers. About two months ago, they called and asked me if it was okay to consider bell and i said sure. So i came in right after bell techs where finishing and did what i always do. All is perfect! until a few days ago.

I went over, noticed that the router ip was 192.169.1.1 (or something weird like that). Thought it was strange so i deleted the router from the DMZ, deleted the reservation on the HH3k (even went to wired connections after deleting it, clicked on show disconnected and then click forget). In my routers that i use (Pakedge) there is a feature in the network interface that i can click disconnect on the wan (so i don't have to physically disconnect it) and then i reboot the modem, reconnect the router, do the reservation again for the router 192.168.2.99 and then enable and add router to DMZ, check of advanced and save. Totally expecting to see the routers ip pop up as it refreshes with 192.168.2.99 and wouldn't you know it, there it is. Perfect day and relatively quick fix and i pack up to go home.

Then, a few hours later, i get the call. Wi-fi sown, what do we do. I go back the next day and the same thing. Router not getting valid ip.

i stumped so i google and end up on this thread and i see everything i am experiencing but expect to see these posts to be current yet this problem seems to be going back for a while. It is very odd to me because i have dozens of client running similar configurations with Pakedge network equipment (routers, ap's , ap controller, and switches). of those there are only 6-8 clients that i can think of that are using the HH3000 but none of them have issues. I have one client with 1GB, utilizing 5 x 4k terminals and over 100 connected clients that include Hi-res audio streaming devices, several appletvs, smart tv's utilizing UHD Netflix and if there was ever to be any hiccup in that household, i would surely have heard about it. Several teenagers in the home and they were on Rogers for a year and then switched to bell. Bell has been installed for almost two years and they notice a huge difference (in a good way).

i's stumped.

·
Registered
1 Posts
En faite moi je me demande pourquoi tout le monde se casse la tête.

Pour bridger la Borne 3000 il suffit de brancher son routeur sur celui-ci puis d’entrée les configuration PPPOE dans votre routeur, automatiquement vous vous retrouvez avec l’adresse IP public de celui-ci et toute la gestion sera sous le control de votre routeur vous n’aurez pas de problème avec le double NAT.

Ensuite vous pouvez désactiver toutes les babioles sur la borne 3000, WI-FI, UPNP etc…

L’IPTV continue de fonctionner en WI-FI sur la bande dédier, il faut juste s’assurer que le récepteur câblé reste brancher sur la Borne 3000 et non sur votre autre réseau local principale.

Au sujet de l’Advanced DMZ il existe beaucoup de problème et une DMZ n’est pas tout-fait ce que vous pensez. Certes sa peut fonctionner mais sa ne sera jamais optimal.

Sinon vous aurez toujours la solution de prendre le GPON de Bell et de l’installer sur un convertisseur / routeur compatible puis de créer les vlan. Simple pour l’Internet plus complexe pour L’IPTV.

PS : vos info PPOE Bell peu vous les fournir.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Recently got my Actiontec 1000 replaced with the Home Hub 3000. I want to use my Asus RT-AC86U solely for my wireless networking. I was able to connect it to the Home Hub 300 using the Advanced DMZ settings but I cannot access the Asus router's interface (GUI) from any web address. I disabled WiFi on the Home Hub. Wireless is functioning via the Asus but I cannot get into the router settings. Help!! When I type in the address the Home Hub assigned to it, nothing displays. When I use the Asus app on my phone, the IP address for the router has a different IP address. How do I change it to work right? Any steps would be appreciated. Home Hub assigned 192.168.2.22 but the Asus app shows 192.168.50.1. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you are only using the ASUS for wireless functions , why put it in the DMZ? Turn off Advanced DMZ , unplug ASUS from Home hub.. Plug into ASUS and assign a the LAN portion to an ip that out of range of your home hub dhcp.. ( 192.168.2.250 should be ok..assuming the home hub is 192.168.2.1) then plug back in to the home hub via a LAN port on the ASUS and a LAN port on Home Hub. ( Don't use the WAN port on the ASUS ). You should be fine.. I used to do the same with my TP-LINK WIFI Router but recently bought access points.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hh3000

En faite moi je me demande pourquoi tout le monde se casse la tête.

Pour bridger la Borne 3000 il suffit de brancher son routeur sur celui-ci puis d’entrée les configuration PPPOE dans votre routeur, automatiquement vous vous retrouvez avec l’adresse IP public de celui-ci et toute la gestion sera sous le control de votre routeur vous n’aurez pas de problème avec le double NAT.

Ensuite vous pouvez désactiver toutes les babioles sur la borne 3000, WI-FI, UPNP etc…

L’IPTV continue de fonctionner en WI-FI sur la bande dédier, il faut juste s’assurer que le récepteur câblé reste brancher sur la Borne 3000 et non sur votre autre réseau local principale.

Au sujet de l’Advanced DMZ il existe beaucoup de problème et une DMZ n’est pas tout-fait ce que vous pensez. Certes sa peut fonctionner mais sa ne sera jamais optimal.

Sinon vous aurez toujours la solution de prendre le GPON de Bell et de l’installer sur un convertisseur / routeur compatible puis de créer les vlan. Simple pour l’Internet plus complexe pour L’IPTV.

PS : vos info PPOE Bell peu vous les fournir.

@mediane

Ton router tu le branche dans quel port du HH3000 Du LAN(HH3000) vers Wan(Router Personelle)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I've had this working for some time with the odd hiccup that needed me to turn on/off DMZ or remove and re-add my router, and in some cases a power cycle of both boxes to get it working again. Annoying but workable as it only happened 3 times in a full year until today. Today I can't get it to stay connected. Everything I've tried my router works for about 5 mins then craps out again. This is really anonying after trying for about 4 hours I gave up for now and reverted back to standard dmz where my router gets a 192.168.x.x address but this does not allow me to access my services behind my router.

I'm running firmware SG48222050. Not sure if there was a recent change or if this was just pushed to my modem but will be calling bell to see if they have an idea why this won't work now.

Hope they get this fixed soon love the service TV and internet would hate to have to switch to something else to get what proper DMZ working.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually seems like when set up as standard DMZ I can still access my devices behind my router, even though my router has a 192.168.x.x address. I thought there was some reason why I needed the router to have external IP but right now everything seems to be working with just standard DMZ. Is there something that the Advance DMZ allows other than giving the external IP to the router?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Advanced DMZ works quite well with EdgeRouter X running OpenWRT.
My setup is odd at the moment - Bell R3000 is the edge device providing DHCP within 192.168.2.0/24 range to wireless clients and used for IPTV. Downstream of the R3000 is the EdgeRouter X - used for ethernet connection for home server, IoT devices, etc. Since I havent purchased a wireless AP yet - R3000 has to provide the WLAN for now.

Here's the setup:
R3000 - 192.168.2.0/24 LAN subnet
ERX - 192.168.1.0/24 LAN subnet

What I needed is:
a) devices connecting to ERX (192.168.1.0/24) not being double-NATd
b) devices within 192.168.2.0/24 must be able to communicate with devices in 192.168.1.0/24 and vice versa

I've soft bricked ERX a couple of times paying with static routes - but eventually figured it out. Here's how I got it working.

NOTE: ERX is not running Ubiquiti EdgeOS as mentioned before, but OpenWRT 18.06.02

1) Connect ERX WAN interface eth0 to any LAN ports on the R3000
2) On OpenWRT WAN interface eth0 is configured as a DHCP client out of the box - which is perfect
2.1) At this point ERX will grab a DHCP address from the R3000, something like 192.168.2.20/24
3) Enable Advanced DMZ on R3000 in Firewall settings and select the ERX MAC address. Apply. Reboot ERX then R3000
4) After both devices come back from reboot verify if ERX WAN interface is grabbing a public IP address via DHCP from R3000. Mine was without an issue.
5) On ERX create a new interface with a static address. Assign the interface to WAN zone and give it an IP address within the R3000 LAN range that's outside of DHCP - for example 192.168.2.250/24. I named mine ROS because it reminded of the "Router-on-a-Stick" hahaha.
6) On the R3000 in the advanced settings > Static Routing - create a static route to 192.168.1.0/24 going via 192.168.2.250/24 (interface created in ERX in the step above)

At this point everything is done. The only remaining part is to add a firewall rule(s) on ERX to specify what traffic, if any, will be accepted from 192.168.2.0/24. For example if you choose to allow all traffic, the rule would be something like:
"Any traffic
From IP range 192.168.2.0/24 in wan
To IP range 192.168.1.0/24 in lan"

Screenshots

ERX interfaces
Red = WAN Zone
Green = LAN Zone

R3000 static route

·
Registered
259 Posts
@sir_random_user

Nicely done..
Any issues with services that rely on hosts being in the same broadcast domain? Ex... devices on 1.0/24 not seeing those on 1.1/24. Might not be an issue depending on what devices and services you run...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I recently switched back to using the HH3000 after getting sub-par speeds using a SFP to ethernet media converter (https://www.amazon.ca//dp/B06XPY2Z2R) and hearing that just about every available media converter right now doesn't seem to be able to stack up to Gigabit Fibe offerings (I was getting fluctuating download speeds of 400-700, whereas the HH3000 gives me a solid 935-940 consistently). I had installed the media converter on day 1, so I'd never actually used my HH3000 until recently, save for the first few mins after the install tech left a few months ago.

I have an old PC with 2 NICs with PFsense installed. One NIC is connected to the HH3000 for WAN (previously the media converter) - the other is connected to a managed switch where I manage Private/guest networks. I've been using the Advanced DMZ feature to feed my PFsense box the real IP, with no issues so far (it's been about a week). My HH3000 seems to be on firmware SG48222070. I did notice on my first try that PFsense was handed an external IP address by the HH3000, but I couldn't access the internet. It was late at night so I went to bed with the intent on troubleshooting it in the morning. When I woke up, it was just working, and has not given me any issues all week.

I will report back if the Advanced DMZ feature gives me any more trouble, but all seems to be working well at the moment!

·
Registered
3 Posts
@sir_random_user

Nicely done..
Any issues with services that rely on hosts being in the same broadcast domain? Ex... devices on 1.0/24 not seeing those on 1.1/24. Might not be an issue depending on what devices and services you run...
Not at all :) My home server with Pi-hole and grafana is connected to EdgeRouter and is on 192.168.1.0/24. All my wireless clients (iPhone, laptop, etc) are on Bell's R3000 for the time being - 192.168.2.0/24

Devices from Bell's 2.0/24 can reach my server at 1.0/24 without any issues. Though by default ERX firewall blocks this. Here's a screenshot of my FW rules.

In the 1st rule I allowed all traffic from 192.168.2.0/24 to the home server @ 192.168.1.156/24. The server does it's own firewall'ing any ways with UFW :laugh

2nd rule is to allow access to the router management GUI: allow from 192.168.2.0/24 to 192.168.1.1 ports 80,443 proto TCP on this device. The on this device part basically means that the destination IP allowed must be assigned to an interface on the router; if such IP is not assigned to any interface - then packets are dropped. Come to think of it, I'll have to add a port for SSH access there too haha.

Pretty straight forward. Bell's R3000 does not deny any incoming traffic from 1.0/24, ERX denies all incoming from 2.0/24 unless explicitly allowed in the firewall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Advanced DMZ

Folks,

following this post as I am another frustrated customer who would like the advanced DMZ to work as it should...

Any updates?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue mentioned earlier in this post. I manage to get the HH3000 external IP on my device but I cant access the Internet, same for any device connected behind my firewall. And a visually Bell wasn’t helpful at all!!!!!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Router firmwre was just updated to SG482220BC. Broke a few things, but one thing I noticed was ADMZ now shows an external IP. Rebooted the VPN router and all is good.

Bell CSRs have no training in Advanced DMZ.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts