Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
It is not account splitting. My wife and I take our RV on trips and take the dish they gave me with us. The PVR's record programs at home (with no one else watching) in case we miss them on the road(which we do miss quite a few, having other things to do of course) but we get the occasional bit of news or a program or 2 while in the RV. That is one case which is not account splitting and that was why they used to give out the dishes. I'm not sure they do any more.
The more we discuss this the more the chance of things being restricted. Why don't we leave it as SD allows an RV'er to watch TV on the road!

I personally know of other providers' customers that are account splitting. I know of no SD customers myself, that are.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
When I ordered my equipment and set up my account 2 weeks ago today(Install this Friday) I was flat out told by the rep that I could buy another 630 take it down to my residence in Montana and leave it there. The only thing is that they can`t ship equipment down there so I would have to get it here first. Then I said would I have to shut down my home receiver first before I go and then activate the second 630 down there? He said it didn't matter much.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Account splitting, seriously?

Example: if my immediate family of four members are all home watching different programs on separate TVs, how does this differ from two of those family members being at the cottage or the RV watching a program at the same time as immediate family members who stayed home? Answer: It doesn't.
Account Splitting by definition is using the same account to watch programming in different domiciles.

The cable companies argue, and the CRTC agreed, that whether that second location is a House, cottage or RV, it's still account splitting.

Blackloz's comments suggest that SD customer service reps are actively encouraging account splitting despite the fact the CRTC has forbid it.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
That.

I am not lawyer, but my belief is a that a pay TV subscription (IE, a license to the content) is legally bound to the single location (domicile) it is registered to, not the people withinh that domicile. That would mean one using one subscription for more than one domicle would be account splitting, since eithe rone location does not have a legal license, or are not getting their just revenue for service at that domicile.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Again, it would be nice to get a clear and concise explanation from Shaw Direct on what is allowed and what is not allowed perhaps with some examples. Until then, we are kind of left to guess.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I couldn't quite believe it myself Hugh so I made sure to ask multiple times and it was the rep who brought it up to begin with as he asked if I travel at all. I said that i own a home in MT and he said great why not have a receiver up there so I don't miss any CFL games ect.ect when im up there for weeks at a time. The rep also told me that they have customers all over the US & Mexico and thats one of the things that makes them(SD) stand out from Bell(which I am also with for now) being that Bell doesn't offer any HAFH programme.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Let sleeping dogs lie. Close the discussion or continue to discuss and we lose.
Already I am sensing a "pro" tendency from the site. I hope not.
(And I hope I can make that comment above)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Yes - talk about this in public will get the same result as when C Banders and 4DTVers published unlocked channels in the 80s & 90s.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Let sleeping dogs lie.
I don't see the harm in Shaw Direct explaining the policy for us and providing some concrete examples on what is valid and what is not.

Simply saying "call us and we can talk" is ridiculous, consumers should have a clear understanding of what is acceptable under the terms of service and what is not.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Can't let a grey area be to the advantage of the consumer? Let it be already!:eek:;)

The harm is it will disappear!! And then we get to phone them and cancel one account and renew another and no recordings at home while away.(Just because cable can't provide that same service and they will complain about the rules).

PS Delete this if you like(of course) but that is the reason.

·
Registered
245 Posts
That's what happened to Bell if I remember correctly. Some cable company made a complaint to the CRTC and Bell was forced to discontinue their open HAFH program. Now all they can offer is to shut down either the home or camper receivers, both can't be activated at the same time. Bell did not want to do this, the CRTC forced them. Since Shaw wasn't mentioned in the ruling, they kept going and going as before.

Some policies are better left in a grey area, especially if it benefits the customers.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Let sleeping dogs lie. Close the discussion or continue to discuss and we lose.
Already I am sensing a "pro" tendency from the site. I hope not.
Thank You.
Not everything in life needs to be black and white.

If people with other providers don't like the grey area SD offers, switch providers.
/ Thread.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't think a majority of us care what it is or isn't. Sounds like if you call them they'll tell you if you qualify. Hugh, have you thought about contacting them then posting the answer yourself rather than deleting others posts?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Shaw direct primary residence and country home hook up

Hi all,

I am trying to see if there are any offers regarding having two receivers setup but without paying the full monthly price for both . We have a country home that we attend to very weekly which we need one receiver and our primary residence with another.

Are there any offers that would discount on a second receiver at another residence without having to pay full price ?

Thx

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ok thx for moving to this post.

I guess there is no clear answer and i would just have to call Shaw based on the answers here. Bell apparently has said it's not possible to receive any offers of this kind ( well they just lost a customer ).

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
jrmtl, please let us know what Shaw tells you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Am I the only one that has asked this question to shaw in the past 6 months ? :). If I read between the lines , I will probably get a categorical "not possible".

41 - 60 of 307 Posts