Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
The HAFH program is still alive and well, though I don't think it's being widely advertised. It's a good deal. I recently paid $99.00 CAD and received the 75E dish needed for HD, and better reception in the rain, for my place in Mexico. A local satellite guy had us up and running in no time. You will need to speak to a different department (than those that answer the phones) to order the HAFH program.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Home away from home program

I have Saw at my home and at a secondary residence in ski country.Will I also be able to have it installed at my summer cabin or will I have to remove the dish at the chalet? Shaw did the Ski Chalet installation for free. Do they not do this anymore at secondary residences?
Also, why can't long-time customers afford themselves of Shaw's offer of $299 on refurbished PVR's, like the new customers ca?

·
Registered
468 Posts
You will have to buy a dish for your summer cabin. Then buy a receiver. Both on craigslist. When you have it all hooked up, call Shaw D to activate it.

Dealing with Best Buy is a separate issue.

If you try to get Shaw to do the install, just tell them that the chalet is no longer yours. What they really care about is how many receivers you have on your account.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have Saw at my home and at a secondary residence in ski country.Will I also be able to have it installed at my summer cabin or will I have to remove the dish at the chalet? Shaw did the Ski Chalet installation for free. Do they not do this anymore at secondary residences?
They charge $99. to install at another location. You also have to fax them some proof of ownership of the property...A utility or tax bill for example.
They seem to be a little bit confused aboout which "crews" work in the various regions, so in my case I had to actually find a local installer, get their crew number and call SD to tell them the crew number that would do it.

Now hopefully the installer will be able to get a "look" at the satellites through all our trees.:(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have Winter Home in Fort Myers Fl and here in Ont

We have a winter home in Fort Myers and we take our PVR down there with us when we drive down and bring it back home. We bought a HD dish from SD a couple of years ago and one of the chaps in our park installed it. Not very difficult. There are always chaps around willing to help. We called the tech dept of SD.....on the 800 number and they helped us thru the installation. We don't have anyone living in our home here in Ontario when we are in Fl ..and when we come home for Christmas we have another HD receiver to watch tv with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Traveling with Shaw Direct Question.

I am looking at getting Shaw Direct, do I need to let Shaw Direct know every time I want to use one of my receivers in my motor home when on a trip.
Also if my kids are home and me and my wife are away in our motor home can we still use Shaw direct in both locations?. I talked to Shaw and the person I talked to could not give me a straight answer.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Officially this isn't technically allowed, but Shaw tends to look the other way, and even used to provide a second dish to people as part of the "home away from home" program. (I believe that was eliminated....)

The current terms of service say that all receivers on your account must remain in your residence at all times, so you would be breaking the terms of service. Can you get away with doing so? Probably, unless your account is red flagged for some reason.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks TJ77
Can you tell me if we were in our RV and kids at home could we both be recording a program at the same time on each receiver? Not sure if this would ever happen but just checking. And how about pay per view would we just call in or can we do it off of the receiver when on the road with our RV?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The receivers operate independently of each other, so yes.
For PPV you would need to use the automated system.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I am looking at getting Shaw Direct, do I need to let Shaw Direct know every time I want to use one of my receivers in my motor home when on a trip.
No

Also if my kids are home and me and my wife are away in our motor home can we still use Shaw direct in both locations?.
Yes

From the website:

I'm travelling this winter. Can I take my dish with me?

Yes! Cottage goers and RVers can experience their holidays away with great Shaw Direct programming. Including access to over 500 television channels. The true portability of our satellite TV product allows people to remain connected to their communities and programming, regardless of where they actually are.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Just to confirm as one who uses it in an RV down south but not PPV. Works well.
So far US officials have taken away my groceries and dog food when crossing but not our CDN tv dish and tripod, etc. :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
If you rely on the contract's fine print, you will noy enjoy you SD service! Just relax and follow the advice from this forum

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I want to make it clear that Digital Home does not condone satellite piracy or violating the terms of service with any provider, however, this policy of Shaw's has always been a source of confusion.

I'm not sure what Shaw Direct's policy is so I will leave this thread open for our Shaw reps to clarify what is and isn't acceptable with regards to all this.

·
Super Moderator
56,435 Posts
Also if my kids are home and me and my wife are away in our motor home can we still use Shaw direct in both locations?.
Threads were merged by admin. Per post 1 of this thread, I believe that the purpose of HAFH is to allow usage at various locations, however, not at two locations at the same time, which would represent account splitting. From post 1:
HAFH is NOT to be used for watching programming at two locations simultaneously. You are responsible for ensuring us that the programming is being watched at one address at a time, not both.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Account splitting, seriously?

Example: if my immediate family of four members are all home watching different programs on separate TVs, how does this differ from two of those family members being at the cottage or the RV watching a program at the same time as immediate family members who stayed home? Answer: It doesn't.

If Shaw Direct didn't agree with this, why would they send me, at no charge, a second dish for my RV?

·
Super Moderator
56,435 Posts
This thread is not about what is reasonable, it's about what is allowed by the provider's terms. If you have two different geographical locations, viewing at the same time, with most providers you require two accounts.

For example, even if only one person in each home is watching, but there are are two homes (single neighbours for example), then two accounts are required, even though this is less than a family of 10 in one home.

If Shaw Direct didn't agree with this, why would they send me, at no charge, a second dish for my RV?
Because, as outlined in post 1 of this thread, you're allowed to have two locations, however, not operating at the same time.

It would be good to have a Shaw Direct rep provide the answer

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
57, while I understand what you are saying, from all appearances it seems that Shaw Direct is saying no to account splitting but practically speaking is encouraging it by sending Starchoice a Dish.

This kind of "don't ask and don't tell" policy is what the cable companies have been complaining about for years.

IMO, The simple solution is for Shaw Direct to have one receiver be the "HAFH" receiver and the rest Home receivers and only allow the HAFH or Home receivers to be active at one time.

Regardless, I'll re-iterate, we really need a clear and unambiguous statement from Shaw Direct.

21 - 40 of 307 Posts