Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

281 - 300 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've just compared LNB's...they are indeed identical right down to every digit.

I've tried it on channel 700 and get 0 signal strength.

We've even tried using a satellite finder and still get nothing. If there was a way to upload an image here I would upload what we see on the screen.

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
Even if you are pointing in the completely wrong direction.... you will get something greater than zero... there is something wrong with your cable between the dish and receiver.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Right now we have the cable going from the LNB into the Satellite Finder. Then another cable going from Satellite Finder into receiver. Satellite finder is reading 8 1/2 yet we have 0 on the TV channel 299 and 252. Cables have been tested and are both fine.

·
Registered
438 Posts
"I used an triple XKU for a 60E dish on a 75E dish for 4 months in Arizona last winter and everything was fine."

What kind of signal readings did you get with that set up?

·
Registered
11 Posts
"I used an triple XKU for a 60E dish on a 75E dish for 4 months in Arizona last winter and everything was fine."

What kind of signal readings did you get with that set up?
Slightly less than with the 75e LNB. I had both with me but one had a dead terminal and I was using 2-630 DVR's,so I had brought the 60E LNB from the home dish with me for backup and ended up using it.
It gives about the same strength as the E60 dish when installed on the E75....I was able to compare it with my neighbours E60 dish strength using the First strike installer meter.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thanks marbil. When I replaced my 60cm dish with the 75 the signal strength wasn't that much better. After peaking most of my HD channels were in the low 6's (db). It's nice to know you can use the 60E lnb on a 75cm dish. I kept my old 60 cm setup down in Mesa for a backup just in case.

·
Registered
983 Posts
@rainbow mist,

It is possible the sat signal is not passing thru the meter to the receiver.

If your satellite meter is powered by it's own battery, connect a short piece of RG coax from the LNB to your meter.

Connect the main satellite cable from the receiver, direct to a 2nd output on that LNB.

As a Bell & Shaw installer, I agree with the other comments. When the LNB is connected to a receiver, AND NOT PROPERLY AIMED, you will still see a signal reading of 15 - 20. This indicates a physical electrical connection has been made between the LNB and receiver.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
credit card address for pre-authorized payments

Has anyone setup pre-authorized monthly billing using a credit card that has a billing address OTHER than a Canadian address?
The card itself is a Canadian card through a Canadian institution, but the billing address is in the U.S.
Anyone?

·
Registered
40 Posts
US credit card and billing address (Cap. One). Bogus CA service address and phone. Have contacted them occasionally from a US email address. No issues since I signed up 4 years ago.

·
Registered
22 Posts
no sd chnnels signal

a buddy of mine has a 600 receiver activated on hafh . hooked it up to his dish at his cabin 75E dish with duel lnb. he can get 95% signal on HD channels but no signal on sd channels. we have proper values for dish alighnment or very close to it. he called shaw direct and they seem to think its an alignment problem, but theres no way we can get signal on sd channels. installed new coaxe cables, tried 2 different lnbs [ used] . any one have any idea why we cant get standard def. channels? tia

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
Easy- you are 4 degrees off.
Instead of being pointed at:
Anik F1 (107.3°W) Anik F2 (111.1°W)
You are pointed at (103.5°W) and (107.3°W).
or
111.1°W and 114.9°W

If not that- there is a tree or other object in the way of the satellite in question.

·
Registered
22 Posts
thank you magnet, I think its a tree problem ,no way can we find signal for those sd channels, and hes in a hole with lots of trees in the back round. he did have signal at the cabin last yr. but it disappeared lol.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
A tree trimmer to cut back the offending branches would work. The problem will grow back but if you know someone with a pole trimmer and you can determine the offending branches then you can potentially fix the problem. I have done it at home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Home away from Home Question

I still fall under this option. I have two boxes at my home and one at my cottage. I have all dual LNB's on my dishes. I want to upgrade to Full HD ( pick and pay) which requires switching to the new XKU LNB's. I have been kind of reticent to call SD because I thought they would cancel my service but I did call today

I just spent an hour on the phone with SD. The lady recognizes my cottage address only and says all my service is there even though I had a Shaw installer come to my home in Toronto twice to install boxes and dishes on the roof.

She said Shaw would come to my cottage (for a fee) and install a XKU and switch me over to full HD but only at one location. That means my other two boxes in Toronto would go dead right?

Does anyone know if I buy my own XKU lnb's and switch the old ones out in Toronto, will all three boxes still get full HD?

I have Motorola HDDSR605 boxes

281 - 300 of 307 Posts