Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

261 - 280 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes; that is what I'm doing, no way in heck I'm paying 1/2 again as much as I'm paying now ($129.00). I have both dish's where it is no problem to make the switch. In each case my wife and I are both together so there is no time when we need an extra LNB. If they want to make it a issue I will drop them like a hot potato and go elsewhere even if I have to pay more just on principal. I've been a long time Starchoice subscriber so it is their call.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Collin

I think that Shaw Direct have determined that I have a dish elsewhere and will be billing me for the extra 50% starting in October. I ordered another dish and a new LNB last Fall and, of course, they have a record of the transactions.

This issue has me just a little upset. Has anyone complained to the CRTC about this extra charge?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Collin

Has anyone considered using the Slingbox as an alternative to Shaw's 2nd home. Use a another carrier like Telus, for example. You have to maintain WiFi
access at home as well as the remote location which pretty well negates any cost savings, I suppose.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Shaw 2nd home programme

Can someone please bring us up to date as to the current status of this situation. I have heard many, many different stories with regard to Shaw Direct's policy on 2nd Home.

I have been told the following by SD:

1. they will not "provide support to 2nd Home in the US.
2. the 3rd satellite covers mainly Canada; but will not work everywhere in the US (mostly the Northern half of the US)
3. SD will charge an extra 50% for the 2nd home and if you are a new customer the charge for the 2nd home is 75%.
4. If you call them from the US and they find out; they will immediately cut off your service.
5. Many people are now ordering their 2nd home equipment from other than SD in order to avoid getting found out.
6. Some SD customers have been "grandfathered" and not being charged the extra 50%.

7. SD wants to separate your main account from your 2nd home and when you apply for a refresh, you have to give them the phone number connected to that account. By so doing, they will determine whether to charge you the extra 50% or not!

Can or will anyone, please, give us the correct details without speculation and only the true and actual facts. There appears to be too many different stories to get our facts straight.

Perhaps a detailed report from SD is needed?

·
Registered
28 Posts
1. they will not "provide support to 2nd Home in the US.
- Correct. SD is not licensed to deliver programming in the US and so they will not support anyone outside Canada.
2. the 3rd satellite covers mainly Canada; but will not work everywhere in the US (mostly the Northern half of the US)
- Correct.
3. SD will charge an extra 50% for the 2nd home and if you are a new customer the charge for the 2nd home is 75%.
- Correct
4. If you call them from the US and they find out; they will immediately cut off your service.
- In theory. In practice, most people who call are just being told that they cannot be supported. People with RVs would be pretty upset if they were cut off just because they called SD.
5. Many people are now ordering their 2nd home equipment from other than SD in order to avoid getting found out.
- Some people are doing this.
6. Some SD customers have been "grandfathered" and not being charged the extra 50%.
- I don't think there is any deliberate "grandfathering". It seems that SD is not being particularly ruthless in going after people who are existing HAFH customers, but that might change.

7. SD wants to separate your main account from your 2nd home and when you apply for a refresh, you have to give them the phone number connected to that account. By so doing, they will determine whether to charge you the extra 50% or not!
- Again, I don't think this is a specific policy. If during the course of a phone conversation the agent gets info which leads him to believe you are using equipment in a second location, he will probably take action.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
That's exactly right. Id suggest just buying your equipment from an independent retailer & you will be fine. Once you install it at the US home just call Shaw and tell them you bought another receiver and have them add it to your account. It should be a done deal as long as the two set-ups are the same. I know quite a few people that have done this without any issues. Its the same thing we do with Bell & have never had any issues.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Probably even better to activate a new receiver at your main Canadian location and then take it with you to your second location even if you then leave it there. You then know for certain that the new receiver works when you are trying o get the new installation working and you were calling from your main location.

·
Super Moderator
16,719 Posts
I noticed that Shaw D has a cottage promo for new customers. At the end of the promo, it says:
Already a Shaw Direct customer?

Add satellite service to your second* home and save 50% on our most popular programming packages.
http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/promotions/cottage/

This seems to be different than the 75% charge for the second home that others have mentioned. I don't know if this is a permanent change or just part of the promo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you look back at the posts, you will find the charge is 50% for existing customers.
The promo says "Already a Shaw Direct Customer?"

·
Super Moderator
16,719 Posts
My understanding is the "standard" charge was 50% for existing second home customers and 75% for new second home customers, even if they were existing Shaw D customers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have a 75E dish at home with 5 receivers and aTriple Satellite Quad Output xku LNB. We want to bring a receiver from home and use at our cottage. We have the same dish at the cottage and after some research realized we'd have to upgrade to the same LNB due to Shaw's changes. We've since purchased the LNB however we still cannot get a signal...literally 0 signal.

My question is, how can we tell if its a signal issue or a receiver/dish issue? On the front of our receiver DSR600 the green light is on as well as the red light. The receiver works fine at home.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
IMHO it is either aiming or the new lnb as any new type lnb should just work with your home receiver. Or your cabling of course.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Double check the part number on the new lnb as well......there might have been a mistake made and someone accidently shipped you the lnb for the 60e.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have a 75E dish at home with 5 receivers and aTriple Satellite Quad Output xku LNB. We want to bring a receiver from home and use at our cottage. We have the same dish at the cottage and after some research realized we'd have to upgrade to the same LNB due to Shaw's changes. We've since purchased the LNB however we still cannot get a signal...literally 0 signal.

My question is, how can we tell if its a signal issue or a receiver/dish issue? On the front of our receiver DSR600 the green light is on as well as the red light. The receiver works fine at home.

Thank you.
If you have zero signal read out on your receiver,it's a cable connection problem. Even a misaligned dish with give you a noise signal...eg 10 to 20

The wrong LNB will still give you some channels,even if it's for the wrong sized dish.....I used an triple XKU for a 60E dish on a 75E dish for 4 months in Arizona last winter and everything was fine.
Check the cable hookup.

261 - 280 of 307 Posts