Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

241 - 260 of 307 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
kcowan,

Good point, and yes he will not receive channels from the new G1 satellite the further south they travel.

I own an RV myself, and I have no storage space that will accommodate a 1 metre dish.

I doubt he does either.

A Model 60E dish should do him fine, to receive all the regular channels.

He can get a 75E if he wants, but it's bigger and heavier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK - I think I understand.
Two more questions : (at least for now)
1.) Is there a difference between a Triple xKU LNB for a 60cm dish, vs a 75cm dish?
2.) Where would I find a Triple xKU LNB ?
(A quick search on Kijiji, and I can find both sizes of dish, but they all have Quad LNB. - And, if I understand you, the Quad will not help me)

Thanks for all the help - Bruce

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
ecurB, and others, both the regular lnb and the xKU are Quad (four outputs).
They both appear similar, the differences are internal, the xKU stands for extended ku band which allows for shaw to operate two satellites at the same orbital location, one at ku band and G1 at extended ku band.

The differences in the 60 and 75 lnb's are in the feedhorn or throat of the lnb, the electronics are the same. If you use the wrong size lnb for the dish your signal strength will be much less that it should be, and a 75E dish with a 60E lnb will not perform as well as a 60E dish with a 60E lnb. Which eliminates any benefit of the larger dish.

I had to call Shaw yesterday, the HAFH is still an option as far as Shaw's phone system is concerned.

·
Registered
983 Posts
@dirtroad, your HAFH comment may be an interesting development!

@ecurB, I wasn't clear about the 75E dish. I mentioned it because if you are planning on travelling to the far south of the USA, you will require the larger 75E dish to pickup adequate signal from the two original Shaw satellites. If you are not going to travel too far south, you can still use the regular sized Model 60E dish. Whichever dish you decide on purchasing, you will need to have the correct Triple XKu LNB.

Model 60E dishes can only use an LNB marked for the 60E
Model 75E dishes can only use an LNB marked for the 75E

Triple LNB's and a new dish can be purchased together for around $140.00

If you live in Ontario, send me a P.M. and I will direct you to a Shaw Dealer who carries this equipment.

Two reminders: when you get a new system installed at home, Shaw will install a Model 60E dish and a Triple xKu LNB.
DO NOT tell Shaw you want to use another dish and receiver for camping or a Cottage. They will charge you an additional 50% - 75% (unless they have re-implemented their HAFH program).

Note: if dirtroad is correct and Shaw had re-implemented their Home-Away-From-Home (HAFH), you can sign up for $100.00 and they will send you a Model 75E dish and Triple XKu LNB which is included in the price.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Note: if dirtroad is correct and Shaw had re-implemented their Home-Away-From-Home (HAFH), you can sign up for $100.00 and they will send you a Model 75E dish and Triple XKu LNB which is included in the price.

Just remember if you can signup for the HAFH there will be a significant jump in your monthly subscriptions.

Maybe try to find a 75cm dish elsewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will try to find a 60E dish.
Like 46FD04 says - I don't have much room in the trailer.

If I look at a used LNB, How to I tell the difference between a KU and an xKU ?

Looking at Shaw's install guide, it says to refer to the Output Frequency.
And I see in shaw's example, where it shows 75E or 60E dish.

Is there anything else to look at ?

And are there two choices (KU / xKU) ?
or is there three choices (KU / xKU / Triple xKU) ?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Is there anything else to look at ?

And are there two choices (KU / xKU) ?
?
The new LNB will have a sticker on it that says, in part:

TRIPLE SATELLITE QUAD OUTPUT SWITCHABLE xKu LNBF
Model: SHAW60E ( or 75E) -G1
Input Frequency 11.023 - 12.223 Ghz
Output Frequency: 950-2150 Mhz (non-stacked).

FOR USE WITH 60E ( or 75E) DISH ONLY

Any other type of LNB will not work for the G1 satellite.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Dirtroad is refering to shaw Cables deal with Shaw direct for sat service at your cabin. Since the shaw d HAFH program still exists I would expect the Shaw cable version to still exist as well. I wouldn't expect it to still be $10 or was it $15 a month extra per month though. The price is probably 75% more as well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am catching up on my reading and wanted to comment on this by DrSat:

"Shaw Direct was never officially available for locations outside Canada, even under the Home Away From Home program (i.e. it was never publicly advertised as such). This is due to the fact that they are not licensed to provide service outside of Canada."

Shaw Direct used to advertise in the Snowbird magazine that you could take your Canadian satellite service with you when you went south for the winter if you were with Shaw Direct. I have not seen the ad lately. When I signed up for HAFH a few years ago, (the year Bell went dead down south) the guy asked me if it was for down south. I asked why he wanted to know and he said if it was, he would send a 75E dish so I said yes, please send that. :)

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Shaw Direct used to advertise in the Snowbird magazine that you could take your Canadian satellite service with you when you went south for the winter if you were with Shaw Direct. I have not seen the ad lately. When I signed up for HAFH a few years ago, (the year Bell went dead down south) the guy asked me if it was for down south. I asked why he wanted to know and he said if it was, he would send a 75E dish so I said yes, please send that.
This is what is known as "the good ol' days".

·
Registered
2 Posts
VGPS and second location

I am wondering about the VGPS on the new XKU. What is the VGPS?

I have a pvr 630 and two essential HD receiver 600 registered to Shaw and both working at my home. I was planning on bringing one HD receiver to the cottage which is about 2 hours away whenever I go up. The cottage has the old quad and 60CM from the previous owner. I was going to put a new xku and remove the old quad.

So my questions are: I assume the dish doesn't need to be moved, just a new xku and all other equipment stays if I use my second receiver from home and bring it up to the cottage?

Second, what does this VGPS do and is there anyway for Shaw to know I turn on a receiver at a second physical location?

Thirdly, the forum mentions the home away program is if you want to register a second location but it is a 50% premium but you cant watch tv at the same time at two places. How would they know and does Shaw still offer the home away program?

Thanks

Any insight into this would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I cannot say what VGPS is, except something in regards to automatic mobile dishes, a "threat" perpetuated by CSRs to reduce account splitting, or something real, particularly a GPS receiver built into the LNBF, which transmits its location coordinates to the receiver on the coax, as part of a location assurance system.

If the latter is the case, then likely it is good only for 6xx receivers.

As for the rest of your question, by rights, a subscription to a TV service is for one particular home, and your cottage is a separate home. That is why the HAFH fee is almost a second subscription. Otherwise, it is the honour system, but DHC rules forbid account splitting discussion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
vGPS is a device that can be plugged into the LNB and help in satellite acquisition. My guess is that it is of most use in mobile applications, or when a tech is aligning a dish for the first time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone have current info . on the Shaw HAFH situation for snowbirds going south soon . Will we have service?
Really ignorant as to what is happening, first time user.
Thanks
Susan

·
Super Moderator
56,465 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Regarding HAFH; my buddy has Shaw service at his primary residence and his Cottage. He has just been advised that his current HAFH program has been grand-fathered and is still covered. That was UNTIL he tried to add a new receiver at his Cottage.

He was told that in order to add a new receiver, he would have to unregister from the old program, and re-register in the new program.

The new program involves a 50% increase to his current bill.

In effect what this means is Shaw has started a 2nd account for his Cottage, and charging him 50% for it, instead of a full 100%.

So if you are on the HAFH program, tread water very carefully, and do not get hooked into "re-registering" for the HAFH because they will ding you for 50% more money.

As of today, he has still not got his situation rectified. When I hear the results, I will post them here.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I wonder if that is what would happen if one attempted to change out an existing 505 to a 605 that my father in law already has sitting there in the closet. Probably. Treading water VERY slowly and carefully....

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
Does anyone have current info . on the Shaw HAFH situation for snowbirds going south soon . Will we have service?
Again, the "Home Away From Home" program is now discontinued and has been replaced with the "2nd Home" program. For now, existing HAFH program members can remain enrolled into it as long as they don't do any account changes. However, this won't last forever and these people will eventually be forced to switch to the 2nd Home program and pay 50% more to maintain the 2nd location.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I wanted to just take my receiver back and forth from the cottage, would I just need to ensure I have the same LNB at both locations?

241 - 260 of 307 Posts