Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

What equipment do you use in your houses? Do you install yourself any PLC controllers? What do you use them for? Do you program them yourself or you pay for it? Do you use your cell phones for controlling electrical circuits?
I am looking for something, for some kind of solution for opening garages, door lock actuator, garden irrigation, external light control. In general for some circuits but I would like to have all of it on one panel, preferably my phone, wife's phone...

·
Registered
314 Posts
I use Insteon. It controls my soffit lights, pool light, pool pump, many interior lights. I control them using a laptop, through Win 7 media centre, using my Blackberry, or iPhone/iPad/iPod. The ISY-99 is a good powerful controller for Insteon. I don't have doorlocks but they are available in the $200 range. Insteon irrigation and thermostats are available.

If I were doing it today and had more $ (not unlimited), I'd use Z-wave, with a controller that worked with Insteon and Z-wave (my garage door is Z-wave).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you please post links to elements you use and could you tell more about prices of each component ?

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I use Control4 but it is somewhat limited in what you can do yourself and what you need a dealer to do. The have doorlocks, lights, HVAC, media integration, iDevice apps for control, etc. It is not cheap but apparently it is a lot cheaper than the likes of Crestron.

The system is operated by a "controller" which is kind of a stripped down linux box that talks to all of the devices via a wireless Zigbee Pro network.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Could you please post links to elements you use and could you tell more about prices of each component ?
I buy all my home automation through aartech.ca (oops maybe I wasn't allowed to say that). They have most of the DIY stuff. Prices are comparable to the US sites. My Insteon contoller is the 2412N (network based). It is cheap ($130), and has limited functionality. Once set up, it is a no brainer and reliable. THe ISY-99i is more expensive (about $360) and has more functionality. The same web page that the 2412N generates on a laptop works on an iPad/iPod/iPhone and simply works. I have another iPod interface that I bought for $20 and is a bit cleaner looking.

I was looking for a pool pump/heater/LED Light controller, but at $1,200, Insteon was a lot cheaper. Now I have 15+ lights on the system. 100% reliable. I'd like to get the Insteon Thermostat which is available for about $215.

Micasaverde is another Z-wave/Insteon controller that has some nice features and isn't as expensive as the ISY-99i.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
a 10 year-old Applied Digital Ocelot PLC doing IR macros and state-variable functions along with controlling Leviton DHC scene-capable dimmers through various remotes that are constantly under heavy rotation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have also implemented a plc solution that programmed by myself. I controll door security and hitters with plc. Also , with a timer controll I programmed allowed working times. Mignight 11 - Morning 5. So, on. It depends on your imagination.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Came across some modules from Advantech that are rather interesting. I've purchased the Adam 6017 and 6066 for use at work but I see potential for my house (and have met a guy that uses one on his garage door; can with a iphone see whether or not he closed it when he drove away, and if didn't, do so remotely).

The 6066 (~$250) has 6 digital input channels (can be switch closure to ground) 6 relay channels (250VAC/5A) with a ethernet port.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts