Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

HLR-5064 Opinion - not impressed

15K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  drecar 
I just bought the 6164 about a month ago and a first I thought the picture quality was crappy but then i realized I needed glasses.

So after i got glasses I realized that the best viewing angle for this TV is dead on center and low. If you are higher then the TV it will be less brighter and less clearer, if you are on the side, same thing. I veiw it from upto 20 ft with my glasses and I see a clear picture.

Also you have to relize what kinda a picture. Regular cable (not digital) cable, gives me a snowy, blurry picture. Some channels are better then others, global, CTV, CFMT are very clear (Rogers Cable Toronto Canada). I then have my satellite receiver hooked up to my TV via S-Video. This is an improvement over regular cable. PPV channels are by far clearest, sharpest pictures. Then I have HDMI DVD player Samsung. The picture quality is superb, especially widescreen enhanced DVD's. Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, Peral Harbour give fantastic colour and clarity. I was watching the sopranos, and I noticed that the whites where super white. The rest was clear picture, but the white were somehow live and snowy, I then realized the the DVD player has a brightness setting and it was set on 5 (max) i lowered this setting to 2 and the white phenomeon went away. I also noticed that the 720p is a bit better then 1080i but I know this varies with whether or not the DVD is widescreen enhanced or not.

Overall, after i got glasses, I realized this 6164 is incredible for a widescreen. The only thing I dont like is the remote. IT has a joystick, very cheap feeling. I think I have the wrong remote because what I have is different from whats in the manual. The manual shows a remote without a joystick.

I;ve had it for a month I clocked 250 hours so far on this DLP.

As for my settings, I used cinema mode with contrast and sharpness in the high 80's, and brightness in the high 50's and colour I think at 50.

Ok, ill do this test when I get a chance and let you know. So far I havent noticed any discrepencies, but maybe I wasnt looking careful enough.

If you have Pearl Harbour 2 disc DVD, it come with a THX Audio and Video optimizer, there was a white screen test in there.

csheyang said:
ATOMSMASHER, put your TV on a light picture perferably all white and look for anything like little gray clouds or smudges or dirts. Do you see anything like that? Look for them striaght at the TV not from an angle.

Ok I got an all white screen and carefully examined the screen as you described below. The white colour/shade was consistent throughout the screen.

Do you think these smudges your describing are related to signal quality or a defect of the TV? Do you see this in 720p/1080i?

csheyang said:
ATOMSMASHER, put your TV on a light picture perferably all white and look for anything like little gray clouds or smudges or dirts. Do you see anything like that? Look for them striaght at the TV not from an angle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.