Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first would like to say thank you to the website (dhc) and the rest of you folks,reading all these forums has come very helpfull in making my decision on my new purchase.Now, my decision is this i am torn between the dlp sammy hlp 5063w and the panny pt50dl54 both great tvs and options viewed from the store.My questin is this how do you folks think they compare in a) gaming i love games and owna ps2 for now b)i wont be able to get the hdtv right away so for the time being how does the sammy put up with sd, i have read that some of the sd is not that great (please any insight on it). I do tend to lean towards the sammy simply for the fact that costco sells it and there is very little trouble if i ever need to return it for whateveer reason but if anyone can throw some views towards this i would greatly appreciate it ty for your time .

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just bought the sammy an hour ago from Costco. It costs $2489 if you have coupon.
Good price, only draw back is they do not sell extended warranty. You are on your own after one year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hlp5063w

How were you able to purchase the 50" sammy from Costco when the coupon is good from May 23 to 29 (just curious). Did you notice a ship date on the box when purchasing? If you have the tv out of the box now, what is the manufactured date. I'm just wondering how old the stock is now that the HLR should be arriving sometime this summer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes, the coupon is for next week, but you can get the refund from Costco if you bring the receipt and the coupon there next week.

Yes, I know about HLR will be here soon, as matter of fact I was waiting for this since first I heard of this. But, bet it would be $1000+ more expansive than what I paid, unless, you wait for the end of the model year, that would be at least 6-9 months from now. And then, there will be another bigger and better one coming into the horizon. Anyway, this is just my excuss ..........

By the way, the only date I found on the tv I've got has a sticker at the back shows March 2005 , and made in Maxico. Don't know this is what you looking for.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The Pedestal 5085 model has dropped so much recently (OUCH!!) that it is only 500 bucks more than that. For the extra money you get the 'good' DLP chip (HD2+) and a great design. Some might not agree about the design, but the chip is definitely a step up. $2999.00 for the 5085 is a steal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's good to know. Maybe I'll buy one this weekend rather than next week. I was asking about the manufacture date because in another thread, a sammy owner was discussing at great length about color wheel problems and he determined that models made between June and October of 2004 (if not later) in Tijuana, Mexico appeared to be the culprits. My guess is that Mexico supplies Canadian demand, if not all of North America. I am wondering whether this problem has been corrected in newer 5063w models.

As for the 5085, I agree the price is "quite" nice but as you mentioned, I'm not sure about the design (albeit I know some people love it). I guess I have some decisions to make. :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Howdy..

I just purchased my HLP5063 from Costco in Port Coquitlam, BC

paid the $2999, and will return next week with the coupon for the $500. I don't expect there to be any sets left when I return with the coupon.

My TV Manufacture date is Mar. 2005

As for thr 5085, or HLR tv's... after hours of internet surfing reading review after review, I don't expect the picture to be $1000 better!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Although the Panny has a good picture, the 63 sammy can be tweaked considerably (particularly the actuator gain) to approach the Panny's better chip. My concern is that all the Panny's I saw had a very noisy fan that was a deal breaker for me. Two separate stores also stated less problems with the Sammy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i appreciate your replys ty im pretty sure im going to make that sammy jump how is it for gaming though such as playstation

·
Banned
2 Posts
Samsung HLP5063 - HDMI

Hi All,

I've had this unit for 1 year working brilliantly (replaced the bulb in 1st month). HD TV via DVI is stunning.

I've seen many replies about HD TV running through HDMI successfully which tells me the interface works properly. I am about to purchase a Denon DVD-1920 DVD player on clearance and the connection will be through HDMI to my Samsung. The sales rep. at the HIFI store cautioned me that first generation Samsung's (HLN series I believe) had problems with Denon players via HDMI. Although I don't think this will be a problem for me, I would appreciate any feedback anyone has about this player or the interface.

Best Regards,

Sakib.

·
Registered
21 Posts
sbhola said:
Hi All,

The sales rep. at the HIFI store cautioned me that first generation Samsung's (HLN series I believe) had problems with Denon players via HDMI. Although I don't think this will be a problem for me, I would appreciate any feedback anyone has about this player or the interface.

Best Regards,

Sakib.
I have a Panasonic S97 connected to the HLP5063 via HDMI with no problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts