Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
To provide more info to the original poster of this thread, HITS TV is a C-band subscription service with all programming currently located on the AMC 18 satellite at 105W. As all channels are currently broadcasting from a single satellite, it is easy to install a fixed dish tuned to 105W if you don't already have a motorized C-band dish. A DSR-410, DSR-920, DSR-921 or DSR-922 Digichipher II satellite receiver is required for this service. As there are no contracts or basic package requirements like the DTH or cable providers, it is the perfect way to complement your existing FTA service with channels currently not available unencrypted.

Based on our tests so far, we have been able to receive all channels reliably with a 1.5 meter dish using a 17K LNBF. We are in the process of testing with smaller prime focus dishes to find out the absolute minimum size for reliable service. With our tests so far, all but one or two transponders are over 60% in quality. The weaker transponder(s) come in at about 45% which is most likely due to adjacent satellite interference. The digital threshold on HITS is about 35%. Anything lower and you start seeing the picture starting to break up.
You forgot the DSR-905.

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
UPDATE:
Using a 13K instead of 17K C-Band LNBF provides a 5 point increase across the board using the same 1.5m dish. The weakest channels now come in at 50%. Not bad considering this temporary dish got knocked over a few days ago during the wind storm we had here in southern Ontario so one of the panels has a small dent in it. 3 more cinder blocks have now been added to the existing 2 blocks to hold the dish down better.

The challenge is to get prime focus dishes smaller than 1.5 meter. They are being manufactured overseas (i.e. 1.35m, 1.2m and 0.9m prime focus) but no one in North America is distributing them yet. We will have to order a few from an overseas dealer for testing purposes to confirm the smallest usable size for HITS TV. Once we find that out, we can start importing that size in a larger quantity for use in HITS TV systems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HITS

I'm very pleased that HITS/Comcast have given my DSR905/10 foot BUD system a life extension. The music video channels are great (CMT Pure & Classic Rock actually play videos) unlike the offerings from some other so called music stations.

The audio quality on the motorola platform has always impressed me. Where there are master audio feeds - the SQ easily comes close to CD (puts XM/Sirius to shame).

Bruce

·
Registered
954 Posts
So is the programming on AMC 18 through HITS full HD? I don't see any HD channels there. Or is there another bird that you get HD from?

Someone else told me that HITS is only via AMC 18... if that's the case, how do you subscribe to the C-band channels on Galaxy 14 & AMC 21 at 125 degrees?

·
Registered
478 Posts
There is nothing on HITS in HD that can be subscribed to by regular consumers. The other stuff is cable headend signals. GI/Motorola stopped developing consumer C-Band years ago, so all that megapipe goodness is unavailable for subscription.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The problem is that there's no decoder available to the general public to pick up newer stuff. The STB's being used now are cast off StarChoice and obsolete 4DTV's. So, if there's something in the lineup that you saw in HD on the HITS sat that isn't also in the package offerings then it's really unlikely you can get it.

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
I see ClaroTV, which seems to be some kind of provider, listed on 125... that's not related to HITS in anyway?
No, Claro TV is not related to HITS. This is a DTH provider from Puerto Rico servicing the latin america market. Most of the channels they offer are the spanish versions of popular US channels.

More info in English is available on the press release at the following link http://www.todotvnews.com/scripts/templates/estilo_nota.asp?nota=eng/TV+Paga/DTH/2010/04_abril/14_telco_boricua_integra_oferta_dth_claro_por_acuerdo_con_ses

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I'm new to this FTA deal, and I found this Motorola DSR-410 Receiver in a junk store and just wondered what specific LNB and Dish model name/number will be compatible with this receiver to receive FTA channels?

Thanks!

·
Registered
928 Posts
The 410 is not a fta receiver.

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
You may receive about 20 DMX music channels which are currently FTA on 105W but the primary purpose of this receiver would be to subscribe to HITS TV. This can be done by getting a C-band dish and LNBF aligned to AMC 18 located at 105W.

·
Registered
562 Posts
DR SAT: How's the picture quality of HITS given its not in HD?

Cheers, K

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
Picture quality on HITS is actually pretty good and is comparable to DVD quality as small cable companies in the US are rebroadcasting HITS channels on their system so they need to have a high quality SD source.

You can further improve the resolution of HITS TV channels on your TV by getting the HDD200 or HDD201 high definition decoder which upscales all channels to your preference of either 480p, 720p or 1080i resolution via component output. Quality would then improve to be equivalent to an upscaling DVD player.

·
Registered
562 Posts
HITS

Anyone here getting HITS (AMC18)? Am curious about the following

A) Are all Motorola receivers compatible, or just the DSR-922, DSR-905, DSR-920 and DSR-410
B) Minimum dish size? I read somewhere Dr Sat was getting it w/ a 1.5m dish.
C) HD channels available? Dr Sat's site doesn't mention it, but Wikipedia states there are some.

Cheers, K

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Any of the ones sold for 4DTV/HITS should work. Star Choice (Shaw Direct), and ones sold for a private network (such as Ford), will not be able to be activated for HITS.

In most places, 1.5M is minimum.

There is some HD. You need an HDD-200 as well as a receiver that supports it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Given the choice I rather have a 1.5m mesh dish rather than a solid one. However, these seem to only be available in Europe.

Cheers, K

21 - 39 of 39 Posts